Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Purchasing low fare with intention of going standby on a later flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing low fare with intention of going standby on a later flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:26 am

My understanding about standby with multistop itineraries on United is that the agent may be reluctant to let you stand by on one flight, only to strand you at the next. So if you had an SEA-SFO-LAX itinerary (just thinking of a simple example), and you wanted to take an earlier SEA-SFO, that would be OK. But the problem arises with getting your entire itinerary confirmed when standing by for one of the segments.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Premier
Thanks!

I really appreciate all the feedback, especially the thorough advice from MarkXS—it's a great introduction to FT.

If this were a Delta flight I'd be more inclined to choose the option with more segments and FF miles (the return to LAX and an August trip to Zurich should push me comfortably into Silver Medallion) but my United MP balance is currently at 0, so convenience trumps mileage this time around.

Thank you again, the guidance is really helpful.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
On a somewhat related note, what about buying refundable tickets for multiple flights? I've done it once or twice before with WN when I wanted to make sure I'd get a business select ticket but wasn't sure which flight I'd be able to make (my work's policy is fully refundable tickets only so $$ isn't an issue as long as I only submit 1 flight on my expense report). Then when I boarded one of the flights, I'd just call and get the other flight(s) refunded back to my card. Is this not allowed or did I just slip through the cracks each time? Or does this vary from airline to airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.