Search

Invasion of the Pig People

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Invasion of the Pig People

I really hope this isn't an FTer.

I'm sitting in an airport club room at a table using my computer. At the table behind is some guy who, evidently, is suffering from a cold. He's hacking, snorting and doing that charming trick where you inhale and swallow what would otherwise have dripped out your nose. He's also chomping on some snacks and, because he can't breathe through his nose, he's doing a pretty good imitation of a cow chewing cud. The net effect is disgusting beyond all belief.

I was all spread out, but I've packed up everything and moved across the room.

If you're this sick, please at least have the courtesy to stay away from other people if you have to fly at all.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So, given the choice, would you rather sit next to this guy on your next flight, or a row full of healthy children?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by tom911
So, given the choice, would you rather sit next to this guy on your next flight, or a row full of healthy children?
tom, that's a choice right up there with "for lunch we have a greasy cold calzone, or a slimy salmon salad." Ah, the glamour of air travel!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by PTravel

I'm sitting in an airport club room at a table using my computer. At the table behind is some guy who, evidently, is suffering from a cold. He's hacking, snorting and doing that charming trick where you inhale and swallow what would otherwise have dripped out your nose. He's also chomping on some snacks and, because he can't breathe through his nose, he's doing a pretty good imitation of a cow chewing cud. The net effect is disgusting beyond all belief.

I was all spread out, but I've packed up everything and moved across the room.

If you're this sick, please at least have the courtesy to stay away from other people if you have to fly at all.
That's why I went to the club. A lot less crowded than the concourse
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by tom911
a row full of healthy children?
no fair, there's no such thing!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:13 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Could have been a cultural thing -- in some parts of the world "inhaling and swallowing" is considered to be more polite than blowing the stuff out into the open and exposing everyone around to it. Apart from that it's also healthier because you don't risk to press the slime into your sinuses and get a serious infection. And let's not forget that it's a most natural process: even when you are not sick, this liquid in your nose drips down into your stomach automatically (I'm glad it does -- the alternative is not very appealing).

As for eating while breathing through your moth: I agree -- I still have my difficulties getting used to that and probably would have moved as well.

HTB.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:51 am
Suspended

So what you do ..?? you must be shocked .. ummm???
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Maybe we should hope it is an FTer! Sometimes people need to read things like this about themselves...
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Speaking of behavior in an airline club, last month I saw a guy open a 2 quart plastic bag and fill it with trail mix at the AA AC in MIA. Today at the AA AC at Lax, one guy shoved about 20 cookies in his bag. Another young guy, not a teenager, was dressed in gym clothes (and gym clothes that I would not wear to the gym) and obvisiously very unshowered (even when there is a shower facility at the AC).
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Speaking of behavior in an airline club, last month I saw a guy open a 2 quart plastic bag and fill it with trail mix at the AA AC in MIA.
My name is PTravel and I'm a Walkers Shortbread cookieholic.

[Hello, PTravel!]

I admit to "stocking up" when UA puts Walkers Shortbread Cookies out in the RCC. My rationale is that, usually, UA's non-fruit-and-veggie offerings always contain chocolate, which I must avoid because chocolate is a migraine trigger. On those rare occasions when UA provides a snack I can eat, I intend to get my money's worth. Accordingly, you'll get my Walker Shortbreads when you pry them from my cold, dead hand.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:39 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I admit to "stocking up" when UA puts Walkers Shortbread Cookies out in the RCC.
I admit to stuffing 4 beers into my carryon at the FRA RCC.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'll admit to absconding with a nice leather couch from one club.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
and to think I feel guilty if I grab two bananas to eat in the lounge!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:49 am

I'd rather a seatmate 'inhale and swallow' rather than blow because blowing has more chance of germs getting in the air (or my accidentally touching a dirty tissue).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:55 pm

Sitting in the "upstairs" PC at EWR (entrance across from C74), an obviously exhausted gentleman was sprawled in one of the less-substantial armchairs close to the glass surrounding the mezzanine. He was sound asleep, and emitted an extremely loud and reverberant snore . . . occasionally broken with a complete lapse of any identifiable breathing (sleep apnea?)

I'll match this for annoying against any "snuckler" you care to present . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.