Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why don't the airlines sell assigned bin space to make money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold

Two recent events have convinced me that the airlines are missing an opportunity to make money by not selling assigned overhead space.

The first was where people going to the back of the plane put their bags in the overheads at the front of the plane so that passengers sitting in the first few rows had to put their bags in the back.

The second was going on a UA flight agent asked for volunteers - not to give up their seats but to check their bags so there would be enough overhead space.

Another alternative would be allow pick up of the bags at the door of the plane as they do with strollers, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Likely because it would be logistically challenging - Presumably 'elite' flyers would get 'free' overhead bin space, so you'd need to know ahead of time how many elite flyers you had a on a flight far enough in advance to allow ma and pa kettle to purchase two slots in the overhead bin.

It would get awkward if an elite flyer purchased a ticket a day before a flight, and then couldn't get overhead bin space because the kettles had already purchased the space in the bins over his head.

A different approach might be to sell the right to board early, i.e. elites can board first, along with those that have paid $20 extra (or whatever). This would have the same effect of 'selling' the overhead bin space, as all the early boarders would fill it up, both elites and paid travelers, however you wouldn't overly inconvenience your elites.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Please don't encourage the Airlines to nickel and dime their customers!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by timfountain
Please don't encourage the Airlines to nickel and dime their customers!
Why not? Every smidgen of nickelling and diming ensures that the base fare stays low. If I decide to go to Hawaii, I want to be able to pay the lowest fare I can...
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Easyjet already does......

It's called speedy boarding. Pay to be at the front of the queue, get first pick of bin space.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gglave
A different approach might be to sell the right to board early, i.e. elites can board first, along with those that have paid $20 extra (or whatever). This would have the same effect of 'selling' the overhead bin space, as all the early boarders would fill it up, both elites and paid travelers, however you wouldn't overly inconvenience your elites.
I like this idea, as long as the sequence is 1) Elites/F/J, 2) $20 extra, 3) The Rest.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I like this idea, as long as the sequence is 1) Elites/F/J, 2) $20 extra, 3) The Rest.
Until it delays boarding as front aislers pay the fee and get in the way of the "others" who are in the back of the bus, and then step over each other as their windowed rowmates board later.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by gglave
WN does this with its 'Business Select' fares, but since there's no assigned seating, the main driver is likely picking a better seat rather than ensuring bin space.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
The logistics of this would be a nightmare. You would have to have a huge number of personnel to be checking all the passengers to be sure that only the people who paid for overhead space were using it. Even if someone didn't pay for it and put their item below the seat, then when the FA isn't looking they could quickly stash it in the overhead. Totally unpractical in my opinion, and the cost to try to enforce it would far outweigh any monetary benefit.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Elites would also reserve bin space, using a different price structure, for example, free.

Add this: After the plane door is closed we would not care who used whatever bin space remains.

Travel tips: http://www.cockam.com/travel.htm
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

You might as well make the space underneath the seat for rent too! How about if you don't want to pay for any bin space? Gate-check will cost $10 (max 5 lbs.), $5 per additional 10 lbs. And that's per flight segment.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sheepherder
The first was where people going to the back of the plane put their bags in the overheads at the front of the plane so that passengers sitting in the first few rows had to put their bags in the back.
Yeah, this is quite annoying. Why cant people put their bags where they sit??
Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I was reading on the one of the threads that Ryanair is now going to charge people to use the toilets on board.

I think charging for taking on a handbag would work out easier then charging for space. But another form of income for them could be to advertise on the over head bins.

I refuse to fly these type of LCC's unless the flight is under 1hr.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by sheepherder
etc.
I didn't realize people would want to do this and have their bag out of their sight and where someone else could pilfer from it.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Lezam
Yeah, this is quite annoying. Why cant people put their bags where they sit??
I generally put my bag near me, but I've seen people do this, and I postulate it's for two reasons -

1) It's hard to wrangle a steamer trunk down a narrow aisle to row 30. Much easier to put it above row 8 and be done with it. Makes getting off the plane easier too.

2) There's no guarantee that once you get down to your row that there will be any bin space left. Then you've got to fight your way forward again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.