Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying Your Own Pillow/Blanket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Carrying Your Own Pillow/Blanket

I always travel with a small pillow. I'm thinking about also carrying a wrap which can double as a blanket on the plane this week. If you take your own, do you carry it in a separate bag (plastic, etc.)? Do you get any hassle about having too many carry-ons? I will have a roll aboard and my purse already.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I travelled with a pillow after I broke my ankle so I could prop it up some. I always put it in a (clean) garbage bag which made it easier to carry as well (handles). I was able to carry it in addition to my 2 carry ons.

When I travel overseas, I always carry my own blanket and put in it an xlarge zip lock.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Baglady! I thought that should work but really wanted to avoid any hassle.

BTW, love your name. I am addicted to buying bags.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:33 pm

I don't know. At least in my eyes, you'd be one of those horribly unpopular women who take half their house with them just to be all cozy and comfy and then block the overhead bins. If only your carry-on goes in the overhead bin and none of the blankets and pillows and purses, I wouldn't mind. Take all you can carry.

My GF will take a sawn in half contoured memory foam pillow in her CHECKED bag if she stays somewhere for more than two weeks. Otherwise her neck is killing her.

There is a funny story of a town in Germany in the middle-ages. The town was under siege for a long time. When it became clear that they would have to surrender, the attacker told the town's women that they could take away all they could carry. The women decided to carry their men out on their backs. ^

Till
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I compromise and have a large purple wool shawl which doubles as a wrap when I am flying. Its large enough to wrap around my shoulders twice, but folds up into nothing. I bought it from a fundraiser at the Gyoto monks. Its warm and almost indestructable.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:02 am
Original Poster

I try to not be horribly unpopular....always wanted everybody to like me...so I make every effort to be considerate of other passengers, hoping for a similar response from them. Thus my question was, if I get on the plane with a carry on, a purse, and a plastic bag containing pillow/blanket or wrap/, will I get hassled for having too many pieces. It appears not, which is good news. Of course, I could just wear 6 layers of clothes to start with, and peel as the need arises. Ah, but then....where would I store the ones that come off?

Decisions, decisions.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:55 am

I have taken a full size feather pilow on trips for the last 15-20 years.
if is a 3-4 hr day flight I pack it if its a long (SYD_LAX or SYD_JNB) I take it with me
im in F so nothing is said -and why should It ? I carry another small bag and if I do take a wheelie I put it in there and get it outwhen settled in the flight.
When i used to travel with my mother we both used to get on with them
It has been left in Marrakesh and had its own taxi to the airport

left in bali and got fedexed home and left numerous other places we had to drive back to. so now its leopard print so I can see it@!
Last syd-jnb I forgot it.
so spent the 1st 2 nights in a fab hotel but with no feather pillows

I couldnt sleep so it was fun trying to find a feather pillow to buy in the outback of Africa.
but we managerd. and its now my favourite!
I used to take a pommery champagne glass with me after a very bad tumbler in J on Airfrance 15 yrs ago.(they still use the same boring thick tumblers)
but I broke so many of them(usually in my bag after the flight) I only have one left now so I just hope for the best there.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bigruby
I try to not be horribly unpopular....always wanted everybody to like me...so I make every effort to be considerate of other passengers, hoping for a similar response from them. Thus my question was, if I get on the plane with a carry on, a purse, and a plastic bag containing pillow/blanket or wrap/, will I get hassled for having too many pieces. It appears not, which is good news. Of course, I could just wear 6 layers of clothes to start with, and peel as the need arises. Ah, but then....where would I store the ones that come off?

Decisions, decisions.
The argument about wearing several layers of clothes is a good one and I think that would be much more acceptable than the garbage bag method. If you look at it rationally, the extra bag with pillow and blanket is a) an extra bag and thus officially not allowed, and b) it is also quite voluminous and thus really takes away space in the overhead from other passengers.

I stress that if it never goes into the overhead bin, there should be no problem and no evil glances.

The difference here is that with the onion clothing you might need to stow and if you need to stow you can split things up in different niches and corners. With the pillow and blanket you WILL need to stow and and you cannot really split things up too much.

In first, where there is somewhat more stowage room that would certainly be ok. Bringing your own Champagne glass because those on the plane are not fine enough is wonderful. I like that. You could get a small Pelican case for it. It would fit two glasses and transport them very safely. Or, more creative, wrap the glass inside the leopard pillow, then buy some Hermes blanket cinches and wrap them around the leopard pillow. Now that would be one heck of a show and very stylish when you unwrap. You'd be the talk of the cabin right away.^

Till
Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
When I carried a full size pillow, I think there was never an issue (with it being an extra carry on) because it was obvious why I needed it and I used it and it was never in the overhead. When I travel with a travel pillow and blanket (for longer flights), those always fit in my acceptable carry ons. Basically, I think it comes down to what tfar basically said in that if you are only putting one bag up, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:07 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Roll them up

I carry, in separate clean dry-cleaner plastic bags, one down-filled clean small pillow and one cashmere throw.

They roll up tight, small and very compact. They fit into the carryon that goes under the seat in front. I carry them no matter which class I am flying. They work for me. I know they are clean and comfortable. I will sleep well. You always need an extra pillow--and if the cabin is chilly, you need an extra wrap/blanket/throw.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I brought a thick comforter/blanket for my FRA flight this weekend - definitely made the trip more comfortable and worth the "hassle" of bringing a small carryon bag
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I might think of bringing a body pillow on a flight sometime later.. Nothing too big just the medium size.. I want to try it with my F seat.. What good is a flat bed without a body pillow?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:23 am
Suspended

im also bringing pillow and blanket whenever im travelling! i dont care if i have many hand carries as long as i know i will be having a comfortable trip..^
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
I have sling my travel pillow around the handle of my carryon, and bring a ruana (a wrap) for a blanket. I've never had a "look" given to me.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
I use a pashmina shawl instead of a blanket - very warm and fits in a zip bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.