Carrying Your Own Pillow/Blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying Your Own Pillow/Blanket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pack full length pajamas, sleep socks, and a pillow case. not for the plane, but for the hotel.

some hotels wash the bedding in very harsh chemicals, and do not do a great job of removing them.

by containerizing myself, i avoid all the itching, and the burns on my face.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bigruby
I always travel with a small pillow. I'm thinking about also carrying a wrap which can double as a blanket on the plane this week. If you take your own, do you carry it in a separate bag (plastic, etc.)? Do you get any hassle about having too many carry-ons? I will have a roll aboard and my purse already.
I always bring my own blanket. Fits right in the carry on and I pull it out just before boarding the plane. They never say anthing. Never had a problem at all
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MP, Southwest RR
I have brought a blanket before. I had a hard time going through SFO security between connections.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My wife travels with a little pillow and an eyemask. The pillow is one of those beanbag-type things that fits around her neck...she loves it.

One time I was giving her a bit of a hard time about it, saying "Why can't you get one of those inflatable ones?" She says there's no comparison: the beanbag is far more comfortable than the inflatable pillow. I have learned not to argue...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I carry a pillowcase in my coat pocket. As the layers come off, they go into the pillowcase. Now you have a pillow but you didn't have anything extra when you walked on the plane, because you were wearing it all. If it's a zip-up pillowcase, it might work better, so that the bits of clothes don't start creeping out while you're asleep. The layers are best if they're knit type things that don't get wrinkled. Also, you might get hot while waiting to board the aircraft. Use a good solid-type anti-perspirant deodorant so you don't perspire. I say "solid" because if you shower in a lounge or something, the solid anti-perspirant can be in your carry-on and you can touch up.

If you want everyone to like you, then that's a separate issue and a game you can't win. Other passengers are not concerned with being popular with me, to judge how often they size me up, realize I'm smaller than them, and then start trying to poach my seat, moving my (ONE SMALL) bag. and so on. It's survival of the fittest out there, with most people operating on the assumption that, "Hey, I'm never going to see this person again, I might as well see how far I can push her to get my way." On a recent flight, a much larger man actually asked me to lift down HIS bag. Hello? I pack a small bag for the very reason that I can't lift large bags. I guess anybody can ask anyone anything, but what happened to basic chivalry? The guy can hate on me or not, but I had no option but to tell him (nicely), "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't lift." I'll be civil, but I'm not going to try to win any popularity contests.

I try to have an attitude of, I really don't care if I'm popular or not. If people sense you have a need to be liked, they take advantage of that IMHO.

Anyhoo I don't think it's inconsiderate to bring blankie/pillow that you plan to use in flight, because how is it taking bin space? You are sitting on it or under it. So if I was on a flight crew, I would never consider confiscating these items. However, peachfront logic is not necessarily airline logic. With the pillowcase in pocket trick, I don't have to worry about someone confiscating my stuff.

I see other people doing this thing where they have one of those pillows that go around their neck, like a necklace, so they are wearing the pillow onto the plane. That would work too, wouldn't it? Have the type of blankie that's also a shawl, throw it over your shoulders, then put the pillow around your neck?

Originally Posted by Bigruby
I try to not be horribly unpopular....always wanted everybody to like me...so I make every effort to be considerate of other passengers, hoping for a similar response from them. Thus my question was, if I get on the plane with a carry on, a purse, and a plastic bag containing pillow/blanket or wrap/, will I get hassled for having too many pieces. It appears not, which is good news. Of course, I could just wear 6 layers of clothes to start with, and peel as the need arises. Ah, but then....where would I store the ones that come off?

Decisions, decisions.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta, AirTran
When flying international, I always bring a backpack, rolling bag and regular sized pillow (with a throw blanket stuffed inside). I have never had any hassle.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
I usually have the good fortune of having exit row seats. Very roomy, but usually also very cold. I use the airline blanket around my legs & feet, but I’d rather not put an airline blanket near my upper body. So, I’ve been looking for a lightweight, easily packable travel blanket. I looked at the travel blankets available and especially like the silk ones. But, I just can’t spend $40 for something that I’m very likely to leave on a plane, train or in a hotel room.

Instead, I went to my local fabric store and purchased a yard of fleece fabric for $3. It’s 36” long (obviously) by 60” wide so it is big enough to wear over my shoulders. And, it’s no big deal if I accidentally leave it somewhere, other than the fact that I’ll be cold on my return flight. I didn’t even have to sew up the edges (thankfully, since I don’t sew!) – I’ve washed it a couple of times and it so far it hasn’t unraveled or “fuzzed up” along the edges.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Space bags are your friend

For international long-hauls, I pack a change of clothes in a travel space bag (tm) and it squashes to almost nothing. There's a medium size (about 14 x 20") that could hold a small pillow and a lightweight blanket/pashmina; when you roll the air out it takes up very little space. (There are "regular" space bags that need a vacuum cleaner but the "travel" ones don't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.