Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Dressing as one should look when flying"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mikeef
As long as your feet are covered and you don't smell, please dress comfortably.

Mike
I pity the poor guy who sat next to me on a recent flight. I had a very long day on the shop floor carrying and lifting equipment as part of a kaizen event. It went long, I had to dash to the airport...

I tried my best to freshen up, but I don't think it was as effective as a shower and change of clothes. Poor guy. And it was on a CRJ.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
[ I prefer to wear a jacket ('coat' in American) and trousers (not jeans). The jacket provides plenty of storage space for my glasses (sun and clear), pen (for those crosswords) BP, passport, even a rolled up newspaper, mints etc. I always check my luggage unless on a short (day) trip, so do not have any carry-on to worry about. When on a day drip, it is usually for a business meeting when I wear a suit.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:16 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Does anyone under the age of 60 really even own a sportcoat anymore?

Suit yes, sportcoat and dress slacks - reminds me of my grandfather.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by gre
Does anyone under the age of 60 really even own a sportcoat anymo
yes, several
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Who comes across better in the F class cabin, an in shape man, well groomed and with manners wearing jeans versus a 400 pound slob in an ill fitted business suit, shirt half untucked, and smelling of b.o., ordering around the F FAs like they are his personal servants while screaming in his cell phone to some poor underlining back at his office.
The problem is, the so-called "in-shape" passenger is just (if not more) likely to be an arrogant lout who screams into his/her phone, etc. What then?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by slawecki
I remember flying on constellations.
I once spoke to a woman who was a stew with Trans-Canada Airlines in the late 50s and early to mid 60s (Now Air Canada). She commented that when she was working on Super Connies she'd take a passenger's breakfast order, then go to the galley and cook it.

"I'll have eggs over easy and bacon."
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:27 am
gre

Originally Posted by gglave
I once spoke to a woman who was a stew with Trans-Canada Airlines in the late 50s and early to mid 60s (Now Air Canada). She commented that when she was working on Super Connies she'd take a passenger's breakfast order, then go to the galley and cook it.
I wonder what 1 of those flights would cost in today's dollars?

Probably enough to make me rethink my MR strategies.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gre
Does anyone under the age of 60 really even own a sportcoat anymore?
Originally Posted by MarcPHL
yes, several
Yep, me too.

Personally, I try to dress as though I wouldn't be "ashamed" if I saw a client or potential client. Nothing outrages but a nice pear of jeans and a dress shirt go a long way IMO.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Yep, me too.

Personally, I try to dress as though I wouldn't be "ashamed" if I saw a client or potential client. Nothing outrages but a nice pear of jeans and a dress shirt go a long way IMO.
+1

Add me to the list of the sport jacket owners waaay under 60.

I go with the good jeans as well and a dress shirt that's never tucked in. Along with with a pair of Cole-Haan loafers. ^

...then again, that's the way I'm dressed most days. So I guess I don't do anything special when I fly.

Suits are for weddings, funerals, and board meetings.

Last edited by jrpaguia; Feb 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:29 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by GuyverII
I'm all for dressing comfortably, as long as it is tasteful. I did have the lounge dragons in Narita ask a man to put pants on instead of the gym shorts he was in. Yep, I'm the one who made the request. The thick, black coat of fur on your legs was too much to handle, in a bad way.
My bolding.

And why was it any of your business what the person was or was not wearing? Regardless of whether or not you like hairy legs it seems very arrogant to impose your standards on others when it really isn't any of your concern.

When I fly I dress for my comfort not yours. I wear what is appropriate for my circumstances, that may well be shorts or a business suit or anything in between.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:29 pm
gre

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Add me to the list of the sport jacket owners waaay under 60.

I go with the good jeans as well and a dress shirt...
My wife thought I was very sexy in a sportcoat and Jordaches - I think it was the early '80s (of course my memory of those days is a bit ...cloudy).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by gre
My wife thought I was very sexy in a sportcoat and Jordaches - I think it was the early '80s (of course my memory of those days is a bit ...cloudy).
Good for you.

My girlfriend (and my ex, among others) still thinks I'm sexy in a sportcoat and 7's (or even Lucky's).

...cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:10 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile Some people have style, some don't

Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
Actually, I think it would behoove that person to show those who make judgments based on appearance that respect is shown through actions and words, not pieces of fabric with designer names on them.

There is nothing wrong with looking great.
Some people take pleasure in looking chic, modern, with-it, current, fresh, seductive, witty, stylish and well-groomed, head to toe.
It's a form of self-expression, communication with others, and the pleasure of being alive and in the world.
Partake or not, at your peril.
Some people have style, some don't.
You know it when you see it.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I have a question for all those that believe they should be able to dictate how others dress on an airplane. Did you pay for their travel? If not then, unless they are offending you in some way, and I don't just mean your sense of style, please mind your business.

Does anyone's company have a policy on dress code while on business travel? Mine does not, but I believe that some do. If one's company does have such a policy, then in that case I could see where the company may have a justification, as they are indeed paying for the travel.

Bottom line - if you didn't pay for my travel, please don't try to impose your arbitrary rules on me
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by EOS
Some people have style, some don't.
You know it when you see it.
And some people find the entire concept of 'style' (especially dictated by someone other than themselves) to be the height of pretension. Chacon à son goût, as Prince Orlovsky says....

For myself, I dress for comfort, but respect the fact that I will be spending several hours in close physical proximity to other people. Like many others, I would never enter an airplane cabin without being well-groomed and wearing clean, neat clothes. However, I personally never fly with just a t-shirt as my only upper garment, because I consider t-shirts to be underwear, and my mother taught me to not walk around in public with my underwear showing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.