Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

does anyone reach under the seat to make sure there's actually a life jacket there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does anyone reach under the seat to make sure there's actually a life jacket there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

several years ago, I was on a 15 and half hour across the Pacific. Somewhere between Alaska and Japan, I got real bored and reached down and realized there was no life jacket under my seat. My mind immediately thought about the Titanic.(not enough lifeboats for every passenger) fortuntately, there were only 7 other passengers in the business class cabin.

ever since that incident, I always reach down to make sure there's a life jacket as soon as I take my seat. am I the only one doing this?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I haven't looked for the life jackets. But once on a long haul flight, I took a look at the emergency door . The instruction posted on the door is clearly different from the actual door. I remembered that the pulls and buttons explained on the instruction don't exist. Kinda scary.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm embarrassed to say I'm kind of paranoid about doing so these days.

I wouldn't want some hiper-vigilant fellow passenger to misinterpret my actions as some kind of 'suspicious activity'.

adamak, I can't remember specifics, but I've noticed the same thing in the past once or twice.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
Interesting, because for the past month I've actually reached down to confirm. I'm a fairly risk-tolerant person, but it does make me feel more secure to know that I've got my life jacket. Not that those look like they are really going to do a whole lot to save my life, compared to a life jacket that the Coast Guard requires be onboard a boat.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Yes - When they mention it in the security presentation I usually reach under there and check, unless they tell me my 'cushion can be used as a flotation device'

I've done this ever since I watched a group of schoolkids deplane and noticed about half the boys had stolen the lifejackets.

I've been doing this long before the MIRACULOUS landing on the Hudson by a HERO pilot who is a honest-to-God HERO.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:58 pm

I've only ever heard of the seat cushion being used as a floater.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
every time i'm on an a/c that has them (in addition to counting the number of rows to the exit both in front of me and behind me no matter how many times i've been on a particular a/c)

Originally Posted by Lowender1234
I've only ever heard of the seat cushion being used as a floater.
it depends on the a/c and the airline. for example, ua has life jackets on the 319's & 320's (including the out going ted) but not on the 37's where you are to use the seat cushion. if there is a lifejacket on your a/c it will be mentioned in the f/a safety briefing or safety video
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Like the OP I always check for the lifejacket too. I also count the number of rows between my backside and the two nearest exits, then proceed to ignore the safety briefings though.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Since the US Hudson River incident I have always checked.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
every time i'm on an a/c that has them (in addition to counting the number of rows to the exit both in front of me and behind me no matter how many times i've been on a particular a/c)

it depends on the a/c and the airline. for example, ua has life jackets on the 319's & 320's (including the out going ted) but not on the 37's where you are to use the seat cushion. if there is a lifejacket on your a/c it will be mentioned in the f/a safety briefing or safety video
I've often wondered about using seat cushions as as floatation devices.
What should parents with infant on their laps do in case of water landing?
Hold the baby and the seat cushion together???

Speaking of US Air.... has anyone noticed that a lot of the passengers on that plane don't have their life jackets on correctly?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've never checked actually, although thought has crossed my mind in-flight.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:05 pm

Nope. There's probably a 1 and a million chance of me needing it. And If I went around checking to make sure I was safe from everything else of similar odds, I doubt I'd ever make it past the door of my house.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
No.....
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:47 am

Programs: new united nobody
yes. i have always done this.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, US Silver, Hilton Diamond
I've flown AA out of RDU and LGA since the Hudson incident and none of the planes have had a life vest under the seat, just an empty pocket. I was seated in the exit row on the aisle every time.

I've checked every flight since US 1549. Would you mention the lack of one to the flight attendant??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.