Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Interesting experience yesterday: Pax Yells at Me for Lowering Window Shade

Interesting experience yesterday: Pax Yells at Me for Lowering Window Shade

Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by tlhanger
I may of mentioned this a while ago, not sure.
Lady sitting in window seat behind me. Delta LAX-ATL. I lower my shade. She reaches around me and puts it up. Happens 3 times, last time she hits me on back of head. I call FA, she talks to lady, lady ignors her, FA tells me there is nothing she can do. I tell her get superior. Decide to recline while waiting, lady pushes seat back up. Pilot talks to ladt, is ignorred. Tells me nothing can be done, he is sorry. I now fly Air Tran.
She isn't "Lady" by how she acted like.
And the problem is that you lack the DYKWIA attitude and are too polite.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
My thoughts exactly...it might've made for a more interesting flight for both of them. Unless she wasn't hott.
She was about 20 years older than me, and not in a Morgan Fairchild/Jane Seymour sort of way.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I like to fly with the shade up and would have to respectfully decline anyone asking me to close it. I've never had to do that.

I used to like the aisle seat until I got frustrated with people closing the shade and started booking window seats. My main reason for booking aisles was to get off the plane quicker. I figure that common courtesy dictates that people let those in front of them off first, so it's not that much faster anyway. Don't get me started on the people who shove their way in front of everyone.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
>>> Tells me nothing can be done, he is sorry.
That's a lie.

How about:
1. Producing three $20. bills (perhaps out of the drink kitty) to hand to you in exchange for your keeping quiet.
2. Telling the lady that a law enforcement official will be waiting at the gate for her if she doesn't behave. And following through.

>>> common courtesy dictates
Somehow I disagree that someone in say, row 25, needs to wait for each and every person in row 1 and in row 2 and in ... and in row 23 and in row 24 to slide out into the aisle and proceed ahead. But I haven't yet figured out a universally acceptable standard alternative.

Last edited by AllanJ; Feb 3, 2009 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:45 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Only problem here is that even the fuselage doesn't stop cosmic rays, so you get a much larger hourly dose in a plane at cruising altitude than when you're on the Earth's surface. As the fuselage itself doesn't do well at blocking cosmic rays, the window shade won't really make a difference. So, just hope you're not feeding this line to a scientist!

Well, not, not to a scientist...though how would I know in advance.

I have learned that when you pull the "I am allergic' to whatever, people more or less pay attention.
So you could say 'I am allergic to radiation' and who could argue.

I always select a window seat and always pull down the shade. Light is too bright and I find it tiring.
But maybe the window shade thing is a really power trip!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Only problem here is that even the fuselage doesn't stop cosmic rays, so you get a much larger hourly dose in a plane at cruising altitude than when you're on the Earth's surface. As the fuselage itself doesn't do well at blocking cosmic rays, the window shade won't really make a difference. So, just hope you're not feeding this line to a scientist!
Is this Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory"? Ok I watch too much AA CBS
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:22 pm

[QUOTE=AllanJ;11197744>>> common courtesy dictates
Somehow I disagree that someone in say, row 25, needs to wait for each and every person in row 1 and in row 2 and in ... and in row 23 and in row 24 to slide out into the aisle and proceed ahead. But I haven't yet figured out a universally acceptable standard alternative.[/QUOTE]

While, yes, row 25 doesn't need to wait for everybody, the common method is that those in front of you that are ready to enter the aisle are allowed to enter. If they aren't, they wait. Once they are ready, the approaching passenger pauses to allow entry.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by nbs2
While, yes, row 25 doesn't need to wait for everybody, the common method is that those in front of you that are ready to enter the aisle are allowed to enter. If they aren't, they wait. Once they are ready, the approaching passenger pauses to allow entry.
this SHOULD be universally accepted practice for deplaning. I hate it when everyone in the aisle waits for the slow moving window seat person to gather their stuff and make their way to the aisle. I tell people "if the aisle is clear, please walk forward". This speeds up the process and is not rude. I wonder if I could travel with a cattle prod to keep the process moving faster ?

back to the original topic...window seat controls the shade. Period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.