Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Interesting experience yesterday: Pax Yells at Me for Lowering Window Shade

Interesting experience yesterday: Pax Yells at Me for Lowering Window Shade

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
It's funny that this happened to you on Sunday's GPT-MEM flight NW2632...that must have been the day for it, and coincidentally I was on Sunday's earlier GPT-MEM flight, NW 2259. My similar incident, however, occurred on my immediately subsequent MEM-MSP connection, NW451.

I'm comfortably in F seat 4A, and into 4B lady plops down and I immediately knew I would dislike her, as she plopped her Starbux onto MY side of the invisible dividing line of the shared middle drink platform, and then proceeded to remove her coat and belongings from her bag in such a way that I was sure she'd knock her Starbux right onto my lap. Being a good and aggressive FTer (and native NYer!), I pre-empted that by insisting to her that she hold her cup herself to avoid the impending accident...thereby also ensuring I would have an enemy next to me the rest of the flight (and of course, I don't care!).

Well, it turns out I'm a closed-window-shade flyer...this is how I control my fear of flying, and my need to be (like so many other FTers!) the dictionary definition of "Type A Control Freak". As such, I always book the window seat when in F. Thus, *I* control the window shade.

We're fine for the majority of the flight, but upon descent (by far my WORST part of any flight), she requests that I raise the shade. I reply, "Do you insist?", and she says, "Yes, I do." I repeat, "You INSIST?" and she replies that she does. I told her in no uncertain terms and in my best NY accent that if she wants to control the shade, she should book a window seat. She passive-aggressively ignored me.

In a moment of generosity, I went ahead and opened the shade for her, and reminded her again about booking the window seat next time. And it was a bumpy descent into MSP Sunday morning, so I was NOT happy.

Last edited by drat19; Feb 3, 2009 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
SHADEs up or down

Yes, window seat controls the window shade.

You can also say 'Sorry, I'm allergic to radiation and my doctor told me to close the window shade."

Or 'I want to protect myself from harmful radiation."

And I love the tip...'flip the window shade up and down a few times' to make the 'seat mate' move ...fast. Great plan.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
When I can't get the window and I'm stuck in the middle, I'm frequently 'disappointed' when the passenger in the window seat lowers the shade.

I never say anything, but I do miss being able to see the view.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by drat19

Well, it turns out I'm a closed-window flyer...
And it gets so darned drafty when you open the window!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
And it gets so darned drafty when you open the window!
LOL...OK, OK, a closed-window-SHADE flyer! (and my above post corrected!)
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by vatraveler
If she wants to control the shade, she should select a window seat.

Ditto.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by drat19

Well, it turns out I'm a closed-window flyer...this is how I control my fear of flying, and my need to be (like so many other FTers!) the dictionary definition of "Type A Control Freak". As such, I always book the window seat when in F. Thus, *I* control the window shade.
I sympathize with this although from the opposite perspective. I am mildly claustrophobic and prefer the window shade open. You must have difficulty on those airlines that insist on the window shade being up for take-off and landing for safety purposes.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I sympathize with this although from the opposite perspective. I am mildly claustrophobic and prefer the window shade open. You must have difficulty on those airlines that insist on the window shade being up for take-off and landing for safety purposes.
I do, esp. when I'm in row 1 of the CRJ200, or an exit row...it's req'd to keep the shades open during take-off and landing, and yep, I suffer.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
yup and if none are available, then the ejection seat would work fine with me as the "sweet little old lady" was out of line
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:24 pm

Unhappy

I may of mentioned this a while ago, not sure.
Lady sitting in window seat behind me. Delta LAX-ATL. I lower my shade. She reaches around me and puts it up. Happens 3 times, last time she hits me on back of head. I call FA, she talks to lady, lady ignors her, FA tells me there is nothing she can do. I tell her get superior. Decide to recline while waiting, lady pushes seat back up. Pilot talks to ladt, is ignorred. Tells me nothing can be done, he is sorry. I now fly Air Tran.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:16 pm

Different experience, but sort of funny as well, I was on a Hawaiin Airlines flight back from Maui day before yesterday and bought a "digibox" for $15. It is basically a personal entertainment player with a bunch of movies, tv shows and games, since these planes only have the one movie playing on a big screen (not to mention that it was followed by one of the flight attendants' wedding video! Amazing.) So, I was sitting next to a women on the two-seat side, and we had chatted a little bit before the flight attendants brought the boxes out to those who had bought them. So when the FA gave me the box, he said "one set of earphones or two?" Innocent enough question since he didn't know if we were together or not. But she pipes up with, "Oh great, two please, we'll share it since I don't want to watch the movie you're showing." The guy just hands it over real quick and I was thinking, um, sorry lady we are not sharing this, I got is so I could watch whatever I want to and flip back and forth if need be. So she just immediately scooched over right up next to me like, oh hooray, let's watch movies! It was funny. I guess she saw on my face because she said, "oh, maybe you just want to watch that by yourself." I said yeah, but you can get one I'm sure, and she said, "oh well I guess I'll just have to sleep then!" in a put off tone. Of course she really didn't sleep, instead she (in the window) just got up every five minutes to make me get up and stop watching whatever I was watching. But I just loved her brazenness in the first place, like we were having a sleepover or something. Classic.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by EOS
You can also say 'Sorry, I'm allergic to radiation and my doctor told me to close the window shade."

Or 'I want to protect myself from harmful radiation."
Only problem here is that even the fuselage doesn't stop cosmic rays, so you get a much larger hourly dose in a plane at cruising altitude than when you're on the Earth's surface. As the fuselage itself doesn't do well at blocking cosmic rays, the window shade won't really make a difference. So, just hope you're not feeding this line to a scientist!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mattkorey
Different experience, but sort of funny as well, ......but I just loved her brazenness in the first place, like we were having a sleepover or something. Classic.
Maybe she was hitting on you?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by jakuda
Maybe she was hitting on you?
My thoughts exactly...it might've made for a more interesting flight for both of them. Unless she wasn't hott.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
+1 ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.