FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/916494-useful-list-things-say-when-asked-switch-seats.html)

Cha-cha-cha Jan 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

• "That's all right, I don't mind sitting here."
  • "Well I've already switched seats once and I can't be hopping all over the airplane!" (So I haven't really. So sue me.)
  • "I'm sorry, but my religion prohibits me from shifting my buttocks while the plane is pointed towards this compass point."
  • "Thank heavens! I don't care where your seat is, let's switch right away!" (They'll have second thoughts now...)
  • "Duh ... change ... seat ...?" (drool a little, and repeat after any further requests, no matter how many there are.)

shawbridge Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm

I request aisle seats because I have long legs and reserve them well in advance and really do not want to switch. That middle seat 34 rows back would be much more cramped and uncomfortable for someone my height.

Kettering Northants QC Jan 31, 2009 1:26 am

Don't say a word and become deaf; or don't speaka da lingo

Emeraldcity Jan 31, 2009 1:57 am

No thank you.

daniellam Jan 31, 2009 2:01 am

"I booked my seat 10 months ago!"

"That will be $3000 please" (or 1/2 of what ever price you paid for your ticket in in F/J)

Wiirachay Jan 31, 2009 8:22 am

"I don't speak English." (In any American accent.)

opus17 Jan 31, 2009 8:27 am

Great, I've already wet this one.

ESPECIALROB Jan 31, 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 11175057)
No thank you.

Ditto.

One valuable thing I've learned reading these seat switch posts here on Flyer Talk is a simple and polite "No thank you" answer is all that is needed here.

Anytime you respond with a reason why you don't wish to switch can sometimes open up additional unwanted conversation. You are not obligated to provide anybody with a reason why you wish to retain your assigned seat.

GregWTravels Jan 31, 2009 9:51 am

Originally Posted by opus17 (Post 11175904)

:D

Peterpack Jan 31, 2009 12:00 pm

I just say 'No thanks i don't want to move'

Fraser Jan 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by opus17 (Post 11175904)

:D^

Spiff Jan 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Me muestro el deniro!

PTravel Jan 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha (Post 11174379)
  • "Thank heavens! I don't care where your seat is, let's switch right away!" (They'll have second thoughts now...)

I've got to say, that's the funniest and most original response I've ever heard. :)

Seriously, I think the response I use works fine:

"I'm sorry, but, no."

KENNECTED Jan 31, 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 11175057)
No thank you.

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB (Post 11175928)
Ditto.

One valuable thing I've learned reading these seat switch posts here on Flyer Talk is a simple and polite "No thank you" answer is all that is needed here.

Anytime you respond with a reason why you don't wish to switch can sometimes open up additional unwanted conversation. You are not obligated to provide anybody with a reason why you wish to retain your assigned seat.

Originally Posted by Peterpack (Post 11176763)
I just say 'No thanks i don't want to move'

100% agreed. I normally book an aisle seat, as I don't really like looking out the window.

I know this will come across as mean and it's not intended, but I don't care if you and your traveling companion got upgraded and want to sit together or for whatever reason you (and anyone else your traveling with) didn't select seats in advance.

galeaoguy Jan 31, 2009 1:14 pm

I prefer the simple, no, thanks... people tend to accept that answer.

I book mine well in advance, and use aisle seats simply because it gives me more freedom, leg room part of the time, not to mention I sit in the first couple of rows in the cabin and don't want to give that up, unless it's an upgrade...