Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by czarina
How is wanting to keep the seat that you were assigned and PAID FOR selfish? Seems selfish to me to want someone else to move for YOU. _GAG
Give me a break, all you're doing is switching a seat, you're not giving away your kid. Maybe it'll come back to you via good karma some day, if the person is going out of his/her way to ask, they are motivated enough. I don't think I'd have a problem switching unless the switcher wanted out of his seat to avoid some malaise (i.e. sitting next to a whining 4 year old or b/c seat was dirty, etc). I'm a big believer in "what goes around comes around", so why not help out?? If someone would ask me for a jump start in a parking lot, I'd have no problem w/it. Seems like most everyone here would just say no or ignore the person. You only realize how nasty that is when the tables turn and you need the help.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by AlecM
A variant I've heard a few times in French (I can specifically remember Strasbourg, for some reason, because it's the first time I heard it) was "je vous en prie" ("I beg you") which I perceived as a hyperpolite abbreviation of ("I beg you to make no more of it.") Francophones may jump in to correct me.
I've also heard a variant of this in Argentina, (not in Buenos Aires, though) where they say "No, Por Favor" ("Please, no"). I guess it has something to do with the "je vous en prie" but anyway, I might as well never understand it (just like "You're welcome")

As far as asking to switch seats, i've never had someone approach me and ask to change seats (maybe because i'm 6'4'') but when I don't get an exit row seat, i'll most of the times i politely ask the FA for a change if it'd be possible, and most times they can.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by veryfewmiles
Had a funny request the other day on LHR-SIN on SQ in J. Lady walks up and asks if she can switch seats because quote "her husband is a pig and i cant stand sitting near him" to which i replied "great way to talk him up you could of said anything but that and i may have moved but not now"

I know of a few guys who would have offered to switch with HIM and sat next to HER, when presented with such an opportunity!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Don't say a word and become deaf; or don't speaka da lingo
I have used this one a few times and not just with airline seats. Works most of the time I have found
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Whilst booked in fully paid business row 1 on a BA flight a few years ago (in the nice seats normally held by Gold card holders) there was a lady next to me. Shortly afterwards a man asked me if I would change with him so he could sit next to his wife (he obviously did not have status to reserve the seat).

I told him politely No thanks and that I preferred to sit here (he was in one of an inferior pair of seats further back that I would avoid at all costs!), and suggested he ask the person beside him to change with his wife in row 1. Funnily enough that did not happen!! They remained in their original seats.

The wife turned out to be a pleasant companion for the next few hours .... perhaps she was happy to have a few hours away from him

Last edited by antichef; Feb 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: SWA,AA,DLT,AW,UA,HLT,MRT,CHC
Cool

Over the years I have rarely been asked by a passenger to trade seats. However I have offered to switch when I saw it was obivously the right thing to do.
Not too long ago I saw a young couple board last and get seats apart from each other one next to me the other a few rows apart. When I saw the young ladys distress at not sitting next to her boyfriend/husband I immeadiatly offered to switch with him as I remember young love..
The FA saw this go down and she came to me and complimented me on my manners and told me that she would upgrade me to 1st class if they had one but being SWA the best she could do was serve me free drinks the entire flight.
Another time I was flying to Maui where the same situation happened. The young couple was obviousy going on their Honeymoon and had booked at the last minute seperate seats. Again I offered to switch as they did not even know to ask the FA for a switch. They were very grateful.
Again a FA saw what I did. She thanked me for helping them and this time this FA gave me an immeadiate upgrade to 1st class.
About a week later I ran into the young couple at a restaurant. Strange that they had very little of a tan yet. They bought me several rounds of Mai Tais to thank me helping them start their honeymoon on a positive note.
I have found throughout my life that good things tend to happen to people who do good things. It was amazing what happened to me from the simple gesture of offering to change a seat.

Last edited by gmcwalker; Feb 12, 2009 at 7:08 pm Reason: SPELLING
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by gmcwalker
Over the years I have rarely been asked by a passenger to trade seats. However I have offered to switch when I saw it was obivously the right thing to do.
Not too long ago I saw a young couple board last and get seats apart from each other one next to me the other a few rows apart. When I saw the young ladys distress at not sitting next to her boyfriend/husband I immeadiatly offered to switch with him as I remember young love..
The FA saw this go down and she came to me and complimented me on my manners and told me that she would upgrade me to 1st class if they had one but being SWA the best she could do was serve me free drinks the entire flight.
Another time I was flying to Maui where the same situation happened. The young couple was obviousy going on their Honeymoon and had booked at the last minute seperate seats. Again I offered to switch as they did not even know to ask the FA for a switch. They were very grateful.
Again a FA saw what I did. She thanked me for helping them and this time this FA gave me an immeadiate upgrade to 1st class.
About a week later I ran into the young couple at a restaurant. Strange that they had very little of a tan yet. They bought me several rounds of Mai Tais to thank me helping them start their honeymoon on a positive note.
I have found throughout my life that good things tend to happen to people who do good things. It was amazing what happened to me from the simple gesture of offering to change a seat.
Great story and good attitude! Very skilled observation also for the lack of tan. Was the weather inclement???

AlecM, yes, Je vous en prie is exactly as you interpreted it. Very polite but also very cordial. You won't say that to someone you don't like. For example my French in-laws might say that when I profusely thank them for just having taken me (and paid) for a trip through the Champagne or BUrgundy wine regions.

The French CAN be so nice. But when they aren't, you will know what rude really means...

Till
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
I usually travel with wife & children from the Heartland of America. I have asked on many occasions for switches and have been turned down only once. I usually scout a single traveler who appears to be mannerly and not from either coast. I never ask a New Yorker for instance. Then I will always purchase a snack or refreshment for the trader such as the cracker & cheese plate or the sandwich, but never alcohol. On several occasions the FA noticed such actions and then invited our kids to empty seats in first class or gave them free headphones for the movies!:
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingtireman
I usually travel with wife & children from the Heartland of America. I have asked on many occasions for switches and have been turned down only once. I usually scout a single traveler who appears to be mannerly and not from either coast. I never ask a New Yorker for instance. Then I will always purchase a snack or refreshment for the trader such as the cracker & cheese plate or the sandwich, but never alcohol. On several occasions the FA noticed such actions and then invited our kids to empty seats in first class or gave them free headphones for the movies!:
Why don't you just book seats together in the first place? And why don't you ever offer alcohol?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by PTravel
Of course not. I'm not responsible for someone else's child
Well, make sure you do not sit next to a minor when you ditch into the Rhine or the Thames. Because if your plane does and you are not helping the minor, you might end up facing serious charges
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mamb0
Well, make sure you do not sit next to a minor when you ditch into the Rhine or the Thames. Because if your plane does and you are not helping the minor, you might end up facing serious charges
That is just silly. Of course I would help a child (or, for that matter, an adult) in an emergency, whether or not involving an airplane. That has nothing to do with this thread, and you know it.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Don't say a word and become deaf; or don't speaka da lingo
I pretend I only speak Xhosa.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
Be nice

On a flight from PEK to HKG on KA, I was all snuggled up with book, iPod and a nice emergency-exit seat in Economy prior to departure when a woman shows up and says I am sitting next to her husband, would I mind swapping seat with her? The plane is choc-a-bloc full, but I was in one of my karma-moods so I accepted. She took me to her business-class seat, informed the stewardess of the swap and we were all pretty satisfied at how it all turned out!

Moral of the story: It is just a seat, not your firstborn child. For a few hours, why not rack up some karma-point to go with your miles?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Amb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
heck yeah, I'm next for diaper changing duty, be sure to use lots of powder...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Flying Viking, your case demonstrates exactly how it is easy to get a stranger to change seats so that all are satisfied. If she had asked the business class passenger beside her to move to economy, we all know pretty well what the answer would have been!! [see my post above to get my response ]

If a request was always for you to move to an equal or better seat there would seldom be a problem, in my experience however that has never been the case.

I have been asked a few times by the flight attendants if I would move, and of course always assist without question on those occasions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.