Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:41 am
Original Poster

In certain areas of the US, the standard response to a "thank you" is to extend your hand palm up and clear your throat significantly.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by gmcwalker
I have found throughout my life that good things tend to happen to people who do good things. It was amazing what happened to me from the simple gesture of offering to change a seat.
No, silly. Don't you know it's your RIGHT to be selfish? After all, you PAID for it.

In all seriousness, I applaud you for helping people out when it's truly no skin off your nose. You sound like you have a great attitude. ^
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
  • "That's all right, I don't mind sitting here."
  • "Well I've already switched seats once and I can't be hopping all over the airplane!" (So I haven't really. So sue me.)
  • "I'm sorry, but my religion prohibits me from shifting my buttocks while the plane is pointed towards this compass point."
  • "Thank heavens! I don't care where your seat is, let's switch right away!" (They'll have second thoughts now...)
  • "Duh ... change ... seat ...?" (drool a little, and repeat after any further requests, no matter how many there are.)
Lol, nice change seats dialogue. I can make good use of these.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by tfar
Great story and good attitude! Very skilled observation also for the lack of tan. Was the weather inclement???
Perhaps too much time spent in the hotel room....
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
For PTtravel

I don't send alcohol because I'm traveling with children and I don't book five seats together because I'm traveling with children. If you had children you would understand! We have to travel at the peak times, holidays and school breaks and flights are hard to book.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingtireman
For PTtravel

I don't send alcohol because I'm traveling with children
I don't get it -- you're traveling with children so you don't want strangers to drink alcohol?

and I don't book five seats together because I'm traveling with children.
What sense does that make? You don't book seats together so that you can impose on strangers?

If you had children you would understand!
Well I don't, so why don't you explain. Why does the fact that your traveling with children mean that you shouldn't book seats together?

We have to travel at the peak times, holidays and school breaks and flights are hard to book.
Ah, I see. So because you travel at peak times and flights are hard to book, you expect strangers to change to undesirable seats to accommodate you and your brood.

That is the very definition of entitlement.

And, no, "We're traveling to Disneyland and couldn't get seats together," is not, in the least, a compelling reason to discomfort myself for your sake.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
I don't send alcohol because I'm traveling with children
This one I can understand. I don't use alcohol myself, don't want my children to take alcohol so I should not offer anybody alcohol. That's just my POV. I do not say that anybody shouldn't drink alcohol (only don't drink too much of it), but I do not want to be involved with alcohol drinks myself - even not buying it for anybody else.

I don't book five seats together because I'm traveling with children.
I do book five seats together when I'm travelling with my children just because I'm travelling with my children.

If you had children you would understand!
I do have children and I don't understand, so maybe you can explain?

We have to travel at the peak times, holidays and school breaks and flights are hard to book.
We also have to travel at peak times, holidays and school breaks and I do know flight are hard to book, but you can plan ahead. In the last three years I managed to book three times longhaul flights on awards, which are even harder to get - and always got seats together. Even the one I booked one day (!!!) before, just by online checkin immediately after receiving the etickets.

So I still don't get your point.

Last edited by Brobbel; Feb 14, 2009 at 12:39 am
Old Feb 14, 2009, 5:54 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
The German language has several correct answers. There is a simple "Bitte schoen" that is rarely used and a bit old-fashioned.
That is interesting. I have been in Münster for close to two weeks, and bitte schön is used quite often.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:29 am

well, to get back on topic, I wouldn't mind exchanging seats with anyone, as long as i won't be next to someone who has a bad odor. But i don't think i have to deal with it, some just choose to exchange seats with single traveler, i usually travel with my sisters or my husband.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:30 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by xanthuos
That is interesting. I have been in Münster for close to two weeks, and bitte schön is used quite often.
Well, I see it completly differently than the poster you are refering to.
It is used quite a lot and def. a matter of manners and politeness. There is nothing "old" to it.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by PTravel
That is just silly. Of course I would help a child (or, for that matter, an adult) in an emergency, whether or not involving an airplane. That has nothing to do with this thread, and you know it.
Well seriously, no. Please reread the original posting and your reply to it and you might getm why I did not know it.

Glad, this is a misunderstanding
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:32 pm

If you're on a flight with Internet access, just whip out the seatguru/seatexpert page that shows how desireable the seat you already have is. Who can argue with that?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
It is the other side of the coin in the US where a ton of people will go really out of their way to help a stranger and ask for nothing in return. In Europe both kinds of extreme behaviors are rarer.
Probably true.

Asking for a favor implies a lowering of the asker and concedes power to the person asked. Saying NTY is demeaning and lowers the asker even further. It is hypocritical and almost mocking the asker because you are not being offered something but being asked something. Thus it is also semantically incorrect, hence my comment on intelligence.

The correct way to refuse granting the favor is to say something like: "I am sorry (that I cannot help you), but I'd rather stay in my seat."

This is the bare minimum. It would be better to indeed give a reason or offer some other kind of help, for example relocating luggage, in order to be civil and human. While those who refuse might say that they would never ask such a thing themselves and thus (do unto others...) have the reciprocal right to refuse, there is also the categorical imperative stating that your way of acting should be desirable as the basis for a universal law. In the western world (and in other worlds even more so) charity, unselfishness and helping people are higher values than insisting on your "rights" or convictions in a small case like the exchange of seats.
You psychological analysis is correct and also explains why protocol is quite important. If people know from protocol how to behave, they do not need to perform your analysis in order to conclude how they should react.

Originally Posted by SamMarkand
I honestly do not care whether or not you learned archaic etiquette from the wife of a French ambassador or the son of a Tutsi chief. Those rules are archaic and have no place except in the enforcement of protocol that would be scarcely be expected in the public transportation conveyance of an airplane flight.
I have always found that people who know and act with what you call "archaic etiquette" are quite nice to meet and be around.

Originally Posted by SamMarkand
Both of my parents were born of the highest social strata of their countries of origin, but when they moved to the United States they put all of that class and social hierarchy behind them. In case you forgot, Americans went through several wars to ensure that we were culturally distinct from our European ancestors. They rejected those social hierarchies for a reason, and yet here we are bashed over the head with useless protocol and nonsense even to this day. Millions of immigrants moved her to get away from that, not to have it constantly pushed waved in the faces every time someone wished to enforce rhetoric they found objectionable by archaic standards.
That is certainly a very interesting point of view. I have to tell you that of all the countries I have travelled, the USA stands out as the country, which is the most based on "social hierarchies". Coming from Denmark, it can be quite troublesome to see the huge differences betweens the Americans who have everything and the Americans who have absolutely nothing. Many countries in Europe prefer less extremes in how the population can live.

Just my thoughts (outside view).

Originally Posted by AlecM
The points brought up are interesting - I will probably avoid its usage in the future under those circumstances.
A common reason for people behaving less than civil is that they do not really consider what they are doing or saying. It has already become a habit. I know I have been guilty of this, but as you, I strive to learn and improve.

Originally Posted by AlecM
My favorite usage peeve, however, is "no problem" instead of "you're welcome". In my mind it both:
- Unnecessarily implies that the favor granted could have been an imposition (a "problem) . If it really was, there are other ways to express it "("well, it was a challenge, but ...)- if it wasn't, why even bring up the possibility?
I usually say either "Sure thing" (informal) or "My pleasure" (a bit more formal), when somebody thanks me. English not being my first language, I would be happy if anyone can tell me if he or she considers that wrong?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by opus17
Great, I've already wet this one.
That's a good one.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Interesting discussions on both the switch seats issue and the etiquette issue.

The whole de nada, de rien, pas de quoi, it's nothing, no problem, no worries issue doesn't bother me particularly, unlike AlecM. To me, it is not suggesting to the person who requested the favor that their request might have been an imposition. Rather, it is suggesting that you know that by thanking you they have already considered an imposition, and you are reassuring them that in fact it wasn't, albeit in a shorthand and informal way.

Unlike SamMarkand, I am unwilling to throw out the baby with the bathwater. While some aspects of protocol and etiquette exist to reinforce social hierarchies, and should be dropped, others such as please, thank you, you're welcome are the opposite. You use these etiquette words to acknowledge that others are equal to you and entitled to courtesy. To not use them is what suggests entitlement and social hierarchy.

Now to the actual issue at hand. I am generally willing to trade seats on an equal basis, and will even take a mild downgrade on occasion if I feel that the requestor has the greater need. The simple 'I'm sorry, I can't (or won't) switch is enough otherwise. Providing a reason can result in the possibility of the less polite requestor getting into a discussion of the merits of your reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.