Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats

Old Feb 2, 09, 4:06 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA EC Gold
Posts: 9,234
"Sure. As long as the seat is equivalent or better, I'm happy to be a nice guy and help you out."

I'm astounded by the number of people on this thread who are proud of themselves for being selfish.
ajax is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 5:10 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BWI/WAS
Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
"Sure. As long as the seat is equivalent or better, I'm happy to be a nice guy and help you out."

I'm astounded by the number of people on this thread who are proud of themselves for being selfish.
How is wanting to keep the seat that you were assigned and PAID FOR selfish? Seems selfish to me to want someone else to move for YOU. _GAG
czarina is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 5:21 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
"I'm astounded by the number of people on this thread who are proud of themselves for being selfish.
It is not as much about being selfish as it still depends on the situation. Out of 30 times I have been approached, I have willingly given up my seat about 27 times. After being asked to change more than once on same flight or asked to move after someone watched me unload and store my baggage and then ask me only bothered. Surely there must be some etiquette to this as consideration goes both ways too.

Am I selfish because I do not want to sit in the middle seat on a 5 hour transcontinental flight? I made my seating reservation in advance and the person asking to switch is the same height/weight more or less as me and in healthy condition. Any when someone on UA Ted asked to switch me out of my E+ seat, I have to sit back further?
idealflyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 5:25 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA EC Gold
Posts: 9,234
Originally Posted by czarina View Post
How is wanting to keep the seat that you were assigned and PAID FOR selfish? Seems selfish to me to want someone else to move for YOU. _GAG
I have no problem with people being assertive and wanting to keep the seat to which they were assigned.

But sometimes, it doesn't kill any of us to be a little helpful. Karma has a funny way of coming back to you.

It just seems like some posts on this thread are about people bragging about how nasty and selfish they are being, as if it were something to be proud of.
ajax is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 5:28 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA EC Gold
Posts: 9,234
Originally Posted by idealflyer View Post
It is not as much about being selfish as it still depends on the situation.
Yes, I'd say that's exactly it. I agree with you there.

Originally Posted by idealflyer View Post
Am I selfish because I do not want to sit in the middle seat on a 5 hour transcontinental flight? I made my seating reservation in advance and the person asking to switch is the same height/weight more or less as me and in healthy condition. Any when someone on UA Ted asked to switch me out of my E+ seat, I have to sit back further?
Who said you were selfish because you don't want to sit in the middle on a transcon? I didn't. I completely agree with you. I just get the feeling that some posts above are from people who are gleefully unpleasant when asked a simple favour which wouldn't kill them either way.
ajax is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 5:38 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,443
Originally Posted by czarina View Post
How is wanting to keep the seat that you were assigned and PAID FOR selfish? Seems selfish to me to want someone else to move for YOU. _GAG
But I will change seats without demur if the other seat is as good (for my needs) as the seat I have been assigned. Not to do so just seems bloody-minded.

If the other seat is not to my liking (usually because it's not an aisle seat), then I say no. I have never had anyone argue with me when I have said no.
Christopher is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 7:30 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA EC Gold
Posts: 9,234
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
But I will change seats without demur if the other seat is as good (for my needs) as the seat I have been assigned. Not to do so just seems bloody-minded.

If the other seat is not to my liking (usually because it's not an aisle seat), then I say no. I have never had anyone argue with me when I have said no.
Thank you - exactly the message I was trying to convey.
ajax is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 8:00 am
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 698
Here is how I think airlines ought to handle this, ideally (and I know that taking the extra time might be a problem.)

Seat switches should be made only by an FA. If someone wants to switch seats with someone else, they'll ask the FA, and the FA will attempt to arrange a switch such that the person being asked to switch ends up with a more desirable seat. If that can't be done, then there will be no switch.
Cha-cha-cha is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 8:09 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: UA, DL
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha View Post
Here is how I think airlines ought to handle this, ideally (and I know that taking the extra time might be a problem.)

Seat switches should be made only by an FA. If someone wants to switch seats with someone else, they'll ask the FA, and the FA will attempt to arrange a switch such that the person being asked to switch ends up with a more desirable seat. If that can't be done, then there will be no switch.
I agree
fly2w is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 9:16 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I have no problem with people being assertive and wanting to keep the seat to which they were assigned.

But sometimes, it doesn't kill any of us to be a little helpful. Karma has a funny way of coming back to you.

It just seems like some posts on this thread are about people bragging about how nasty and selfish they are being, as if it were something to be proud of.
I agree with you 100%.

Of course you have every right to refuse to switch, particularly to an inferior location (and the definition of inferior is a purely personal matter). But the glee that some seem to have in saying no just strikes me as wrong.

What's wrong with "sorry, no"? Firm, but still polite. Some people have a legitimate reason for asking. Why be rude?

Now, seat poaching is a TOTALLY different issue. But I do not want to start ANOTHER thread about that.
MW147 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 11:00 am
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
If the other seat is not to my liking (usually because it's not an aisle seat), then I say no. I have never had anyone argue with me when I have said no.
Then you've been fortunate. I've twice had arguments, each time with parents. "But where are we supposed to sit -- my child can't sit alone and we couldn't get seats together!" In each case, it took an FA's intervention to get rid of these people.

As we used to say in aerospace, the lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
PTravel is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 11:32 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Posts: 295
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I have no problem with people being assertive and wanting to keep the seat to which they were assigned.

But sometimes, it doesn't kill any of us to be a little helpful. Karma has a funny way of coming back to you.

It just seems like some posts on this thread are about people bragging about how nasty and selfish they are being, as if it were something to be proud of.
AMEN to this! I'm firmly of the belief that we could all be a little nicer to one another. Before you say "no thank you" (and I actually think that's a quasi rude response. I usually say "no, I'm sorry" and then give a reason), look to see where the person is sitting. Chances are, it could be two aisle seats behind you in a seat identical to yours. That said, if it's a worse seat, would it kill you to say "no, sorry, I'm really tall and would only switch for another aisle seat." Sure, you could be a self-important a$$ hole and say "no thank you" since you did, after all, pay for a seat, reserve that one, and then put your royal bottom on the seat. But one of these days, you'll be flying with a wife or child. You will have reserved two seats next to each other for the two of you. And you will be subject to IRROPS...some terrible weather...and you'll be rebooked. On the next flight. In middle seats. Far, far from one another.
thechosenuno is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 11:45 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: UA 1K MM, DL MM, AS, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,437
Originally Posted by thechosenuno View Post
... "no thank you" [is] a quasi rude response. I usually say "no, I'm sorry" and then give a reason ... would it kill you to say "no, sorry, I'm really tall and would only switch for another aisle seat."
I agree that "No, thank you" is slightly rude; I just say "No, I'd rather not." I won't apologize for something that IMO requires no apology. And I've found that giving a reason for something that I am entitled to do in any case invites argument about the reason. I'm assigned to the seat; that trumps your request. I will switch for an equivalent or better seat, and I will switch for a worse seat if it seems that the benefits to the person asking are much greater than the cost to me. But I am entitled to the seat, and I don't owe the asker an apology or an explanation.

A while ago, in response to "Excuse me, you're in my seat," a seat poacher gestured and said "My seat is over there." I smiled, said, "Yes, and mine is right here," and waited until he got up (with a lot of sighing and rolling of eyes).
SJC1K is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:06 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: IAD, BOS, PVD
Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Posts: 7,190
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Seat switches should be made only by an FA.
But FAs are already busy during boarding.
violist is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:17 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA EC Gold
Posts: 9,234
Originally Posted by violist View Post
But FAs are already busy during boarding.


At least on BA, AF and LH short-haul, it is not uncommon at all to find two or three FAs stood at various points throughout the plane with no other task than to direct people to their correct seats.
ajax is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread