Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why not drive in Eastern Europe, Russia, Baltics, etc...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not drive in Eastern Europe, Russia, Baltics, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: Onepass Platinum
Originally Posted by Palal
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/1718; U; en))

Your GF doesnt know rental cars?

Has she seen "impossible adventures of italians in russia?" its a classic from the 70s that she must've seen. Even in the Soviet era during Khruschev there was such a concept for a few years. It ended because people rented cars and swiped good parts for bad parts due to part shortages
No, I doubt she's heard of it. She wasn't born until the 80s. But it's certainly a good reason why it doesn't work over here. I can just see it. Rent a Mercedes for $100 a day, rip out the expensive alternator, replace it with the $20 one from your Zopa. They'd do it every time they rented a car over here.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I meant to say Belarus. I am not aware of any visa requirements for Moldova.
No visa necessary for U.S. citizens to visit Moldova. I was there in Nov. 2008.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by hco
All of it sounds like a great trip! ^

As opushomes says, there's no train connection Tallin-Riga. The only train between Baltic capitals (at least in 2006/2007) is the Vilnius-Riga line (three times a week). But there are great bus connections between all three Baltic capitals, I visited them all in one week in the spring of 2007.

Riga, being the biggest one, has a more cosmopolitan feeling, but I liked Vilnius the best. Very relaxed atmosphere - and no ferry tourists (for obvious reasons)! Didn't spend very much time in Tallin, since my travel partners had already been there. We took the ferry from Tallin to Stockholm. It's good.

For travelling between Helsinki and Stockholm, I agree with Gunner - you should really consider the ferry! He's already given you the URL:s you need. Go on a weekday for cheap fares, or on the weekend to meet the party crowd and get to know Scandinavian drinking culture! Just as (or more interesting) then the Vasa ship.

For Stockholm-Oslo, Oslo-Copenhagen (or Stockholm-Copenhagen), check out the train as well (www.sj.se). Depends on if you just want to get there, and see country pass you by outside, or if you want to make a lot of stops for smaller cities (in which, of course, you'll take the car!).

PM me if you need any further help or special tips for Sweden.
And don't overlook LCC flights on Air Baltic. I have booked some great fares on them.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
deleted
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:57 am

Programs: CX Diamond, LH Senator
I went native in Russia and drove there from 2001 till I left in late 2006. Of course you have to adapt to driving there. Did I get shaken down by bent cops? On a couple of occasions. Had one accident (nothing serious, except for bruised ego). I learnt the language, can read cyrillic.

Here are some things about driving in Russia (must state that my driving experience is mainly Moscow).
-have a proper car. I had a Mercedes G500. Always respected by other motorists. Wife's car was an Skoda Fabia - I drove that like it were a G500. Then she had an Audi A4. Also drove that like a G500.
-which brings me to assertiveness. See above. I had insurance.
-Never, ever drink and drive. Traffic cops can smell out a drinker some 400m out. You stand no chance. Cost in 2004: USD300. Cost now? Don't ask, but close to USD5,000 or more (since DUI is now an arrestable offence and mandatory on-the-spot licence suspension - not sure how that relates to foreign licences though. But they do now tolerate 0.03% BAC). Best not to gamble. Chew raw coffee beans. They mask the smell of beer better than anything else.
-I never tried to keep up with Moscow's speed racers.
-Moscow streets have an almost complete absence of left turns on major roads. Which can make things complicated. And if you do chance an illegal turn, the traffic cop will be there rubbing his hands. Called 'karmushka' in Russian. Essentially means arbitrarily stupid rules designed to line cops' pockets.
-Carry translated copy of your driver's licence with you. Notarised. And your international driving permit. Remember, the cops will latch onto any technicality to extort money from you.
-Buy some cheap pocket knives and keep them in the glove box. Beats any monetary bribe - Moscow cops all seem to have knife fetish. And since a knife can't be a gift, *you* can ask the cop for money. I always loved the look on their face, blushing, looking for some coin to give to me...
-Traffic was already mentioned, but it really is horrendous.

So if that doesn't turn anyone off, you can have a good time (long time) behind the wheel. And it does represent personal freedom. Which is why a car is one of the first major purchases Russians make.

NG1Fan
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:56 pm

NG1Fan- good post! I laughed about giving cop a knife and asking for money in exchange.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:12 pm

don't do it

i think you'll have no problems in Sweden, Finland etc.., but i wouldn't do it in Eastern Europe. roads are bad, rental rates are high, traffic is congested and you might have difficulties getting a rental that would let you take the cars across so many borders.

if you do decide to do it, get proper insurance as it will be required at border crossings.

don't drink. nothing. nada. not only are the fines high, but if you get into an accident, in many countries it's automatically your fault if you had been drinking (even if you're parked, not doing anything and someone else hits you, for example).

lock the car in Eastern Europe, because it really might get stolen. in Norway, don't lock the car, cause it never will, haha.

in Eastern Europe, take trains (1st class) between big cities and take cabs once you're in them. both are cheap and probably less hassle than driving.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, US, LH, DL
Don't take a rental car to Poland! You will never see it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.