FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Cheapest Way to Ship Luggage to avoid Airline Baggage Fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/906828-cheapest-way-ship-luggage-avoid-airline-baggage-fees.html)

LKD23 Jan 6, 2009 12:05 pm

Cheapest Way to Ship Luggage to avoid Airline Baggage Fees

some people in my traveling party don't have status with delta- wondering what luck people have had with shipping luggage.

AndyTLe Jan 6, 2009 12:11 pm

FedEx.

csgoalie Jan 6, 2009 12:20 pm

Fedex Ground, to be more precise....

abefroman329 Jan 6, 2009 12:23 pm

Depends on how far you're going - if it's a transcon, FedEx Ground could take a week or so.

mersk862 Jan 6, 2009 12:26 pm

$15 for the first bag is pretty much always going to be cheaper than (or at the same price as) FedEx/UPS Ground. Much better getting it that day too than waiting 3-4 days for your bag.

icurhere2 Jan 6, 2009 12:37 pm

Depends if it's international (two free up to weight limit), premium class, or economy. If this is domestic travel and the bags don't exceed the weight limit, I doubt one is going to get them to the destination any cheaper than the $40 for two bags ($15 first, $25 second) on Delta.

LKD23 Jan 6, 2009 12:44 pm

Cheapest Way to Ship Luggage to avoid Delta Baggage

does the luggage have to be in a box or can you ship as is?

AndyTLe Jan 6, 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by LKD23 (Post 11022579)
does the luggage have to be in a box or can you ship as is?

You can ship as is. FedEx Kinkos has a special pouch that is zip-tied to luggage that attaches the shipping label. I've done it numerous times.

CJKatl Jan 6, 2009 1:48 pm

I actually often ship stuff via FedEx two day and it isn't very expensive...

If I'm going to be in six cities in six days, I put what I'll need for the last three days into a medium FedEx box and ship it to whatever hotel I'll be at on the fourth night. At the third hotel, I'll get a FedEx box and ship home my laundry. This lets me keep to one carry-on (travel with projector and computer, so space is limited to stay within one bag and personal item) which allows me to be flexible getting on earlier flights. Heavy stuff like shoes of jeans comes with me. Light stuff - socks, t-shirts, etc., goes via FedEx.

Sticking to the FedEx boxes keeps the price down. (As does using my company's negotiated rate.)

runninaway Jan 6, 2009 2:35 pm

My luggage rides piggyback on top of my trade show booth, making it essentially free and much more convenient than dragging it through the airport.

LKD23 Jan 6, 2009 3:18 pm

Cheapest Way to Ship Luggage to avoid Delta Baggage

thanks for all the help. i just shipped a piece of luggage at a fed-ex kinko's. it weighed 37 lbs. and will arrive in two days and it only cost me $28. two people in my traveling party already checked two bags each and the third would have cost over $100, so i think this is a convenient way to avoid paying that fee.

obscure2k Jan 6, 2009 3:44 pm

As this topic is not particularly Delta-specific, I am moving the thread to TravelBuzz for continued discussion.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

EpiFlyer Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 11022975)

Sticking to the FedEx boxes keeps the price down. (As does using my company's negotiated rate.)

Hi CJKatl and everyone,

I was wondering, are hotels typically ok with getting FedEx boxes for guests? Are luggage deliveries better received? Do you need to do any special coordinating either way to make sure that your stuff gets accepted and that you can find it when you arrive?

Thanks so much for your additional guidance.

aaron1262 Jan 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Here's a comparison of the prices shipping vs. checking-in

superspudbucket Jan 24, 2010 6:08 am

Interesting chart but there is all the hassle of getting it to the shipper, the need to do it ahead of time, etc. I have trouble imaging this really being workable for most folks. But if it works for you, go for it. I won't be doing it.