Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your Ideal Seat Mate - What are they like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, SW RR

This post is geared toward coach passengers sitting very close together.

I have met all kind of seat mates in my travels. I have talked non-stop throughout my flight and received invitations to stay at people's houses. I've even had a job offer. I have also had flights where I never spoke a word to the person sitting next to me. I am fairly outgoing (reserved at first glance), but try to take my cue from the person next to me. So I just figured I would ask fellow travelers who would be an ideal person sitting next to you.

I will state the obvious NO's.
1. Obese people spilling over into your seat.
2. Screaming kids.
3. Folks with odors (body, food, otherwise)

My ideal seat mate is:
1. Kind and does not give looks of inconvenience if they have to get up sometime during the flight to let you out. I always choose an aisle when possible.
2. Gives you a friendly smile when they/you sit down.
3. Gives lots of clues on level of communication.
ie - I have a great book to read on this flight - signal don't talk to me.
Puts iPod in ears right away - signal don't talk to me.
Are you going to XYZ or coming home? - signal I might like to talk to you.
So why are you going to XYZ - signal I want to talk to you and find out about you.
Are you married? (Forward person that I don't want to talk to because they choose to ignore the wedding ring on my finger)
4. Does not give you dirty looks when you are trying to fit your stuff into the same small compartment that their stuff is already in.
5. Total personal pet peeve - Does not chomp loudly on food or crack gum.
6. Let's you know upfront if something is majorly wrong. ie (extremely upset, fear of flying, sick, etc)
I had a woman sob an entire trip next to me. I felt so bad for her but she never said anything and I don't like to ask questions for fear of prying. No need to go into details if you do not wish, but to recognize that this is a bad time.
7. For folks that don't speak English on an English speaking flight, it would also be nice to know that too.
I had a French guy next to me who did not respond to anything. Flight attendant asking him if he wanted a drink? I did not find out that he did not speak English till the end of the trip when he did not understand that it was time to put his tray table up.

I do try to practice the Golden Rule. I can honestly say that I try to be considerate of others and that I do all of the things that are on my list.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
A petite female under 35 preferably Asian.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
1. Someone who stays on their side of the border.
2. Someone clean and neatly dressed, with enough of their body covered so that me or my clothing don't have to touch their skin.
3. Someone who wears an unscented anti-perspirant, and does not wear any cologne or perfume (scented deodorants such as Right Guard and Mennen smell absolutely putrid and should be banned from all public places).
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:38 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by braslvr
A petite female under 35 preferably Asian.
I guess her being desperate is implied?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:56 am

someone who minds their own business. Oddly enough when I first started flying I enjoyed meeting people on flights. Now I just prefer spend some me time.

Speaking of attractive seat partners, I sat next to an attractive girl on one flight (only time that's ever happened) and on the other side of her sat another guy. The entire flight he tried his best "lines". I learned that he was a stock broker, had just bought a new sports car, invited her to a barbecue at his house on the beach, offered to take her to a ballgame with his VIP seat tickets, mentioned his hi-profile stock broker job again...and again...and again... and completely missed the engagement ring on her finger... I found that quite funny.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: LH SEN
Ideal seat mate...

Not existent. Empty seat.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
My ideal seatmate is an empty seat. I like "me" time and easily annoyed by people who have tacky luggage, don't know how to travel, or behave on airplanes.

That said: I did a good deed last night to the woman sitting next to me who annoyed me by constantly figgiting and putting her arms into my space. She couldn't figure out how to use the Red system credit card swipe to buy her sandwich, so after 5 mins I decided to take my headphones off and explain that she needed to turn the card around so the strip faced her, then run it thru. I worked, and thankfully she didn't talk to me after saying "thank you".
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:22 am

Empty seat. Thin air. If an empty seat or thin air is not permissible, I'd rather have a meowing cat than a human as my seat mate any day, as long as it doesn't poo or pee other than in the loo.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Plt, Air Canada Elite, USAir Silver, United Premier
No's:
1. Like the OP, obese people spilling over/shoving the armrest into my side of the seat. Usually only a problem in Y... but I had an EXTREMELY obese dude next to me in an MD-80 AA flight who had a substantial portion of his body in my territory. But what could I really say? Buy a seat in F? :P
2. An annoying, screaming, or otherwise bratty kid. I'll take the well behaved ones who sleep the whole flight though. Those are fine. (Even if I'm partially terrified when they first sit down... cuz you never know how they're going to act.)
3. Being an at least somewhat attractive woman I'm not terribly fond of having men sit next to me and try out their greatest lines the entire flight.
4. A seatmate who yammers on the whole flight... unless it's obvious I'm engaged in conversation with you and not trying to ignore you (ie, reading or listening to music or some other activity) then SHUT UP.
5. Any seatmate who makes lots of noise... humming, a crappy headphone set that actually gets through noise-cancelling headphones (incidentally, on the F journey with the obese guy next to me, there was a pax in the seat in front of me with headphones like this - like hello, you're in F, you can probably afford a decent pair of headphones by now), or SNORING. I have no qualms about covertly kicking/elbowing a snorer. I get plenty of practice with my boyfriend.
6. Any seatmate who thinks it's a HUGE inconvenience to actually move their legs to let me get past to use the bathroom on a 4+ hour flight. Get over it.

Yes's:
1. Someone who is kind and courteous. I have instantly warm feelings toward any chivalrous guy who offers to put my carry-on in the luggage compartment for me. Also a seatmate who is happy to scoot their legs/butt out of the way so I can get in the seat in the first place (I always have a window) or use the facilities.
2. Someone who smiles when they first see you are sitting there and at least says hello. Then you don't feel awkward.
3. A quiet seatmate. I don't mind talking, sometimes, but a lot of the time I prefer to read/listen to music/play my handheld Nintendo DS.
4. Someone who keeps to their side of the seat!
5. Someone who smells good. I haven't had any horrifyingly smelly seatmates (touch wood) and I really hope I never do.
6. Someone who sleeps the whole flight... fantastic!
7. Someone who leaves their shoes on. I don't want to smell your stinky toes. If the flight is LONG (6 hours) then... fine... but anything less and I think that's just a bit much.
8. Someone calm. That goes along with the whole chattering away/being loud thing though.
9. Empty space! The best seatmate there is.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The three S's: Small, Silent, and Still!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Krustov
The three S's: Small, Silent, and Still!
I second that! Since I do window seats the still part is not as important unless they are moving around their seat like they have something stuck in their bum.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:05 am

Interesting thread idea...

I am sometimes prone to a snore but would much prefer a light touch on the arm to a sneaky kick! I don't generally sleep on flights any more for some odd reason so that's avoided mostly anyway.

A set of rules and codes of conduct should be drafted so people can learn the official codes for 'up for a chat' or 'really rather not' etc., though of course much of it is good manners.

My ideal seatmate has a capacious bladder, a pleasant or no odour and stays on their side of the divide... ^
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Duffer2! ^

I'm with Krustov's 3 Ss
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
My Wife. I Love her, she is a blessing to me.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:10 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Ideal seat mate? No more calls, we have a winner. He's from the UK and he has two grey, standard poodles named David and Posh. (He didn't name her Posh, she already had that name when he rescued her.) Intelligent, kind, charming, polite, and witty. He was absolutely the best seat mate. Ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.