FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Holiday travel, record restroom trips (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/904812-holiday-travel-record-restroom-trips.html)

msimons Dec 31, 2008 3:14 pm

Holiday travel, record restroom trips

Was on ORD/SAN 555pm A320 last nite, oversold with 62 standbys.
Flight left an hour late due to simple mechanical.
Gal in 3C went to restroom twice before taking off.
After she went to restroom two more times before the FA finished serving drinks, the couple brought up she wasn't feeling well and asked for oxygen.
The FA was great, let the captain know and gave it to her, but didn't help.
At least she didn't eat dinner. The FA was also diligent in washing his hands whenever he came in contact with her, and checking the cleanliness of the restroom.
(Couple in 1C/D asked me if it was appropriate to tip the FA.)
Before the 4.5hr flight was over, she went a dozen times, once back to economy because the flight crew were using the F restroom.
We were warned about fog before taking off, and were redirected to LAX to take buses down to SAN. On landing, I grabbed my carryon and made sure I wasn't on the same bus.

Can't imagine why someone so obviously ill would have taken the flight to begin with.

6rugrats Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Because they wanted to get somewhere?

Mr. R was on a flight last year where a man was vomiting into the trash can at the gate. The GA informed the passengers this man would not be boarding. Well, guess who ended up sitting directly behind Mr. R? This man vomited several times during the flight. I feel very sorry for the person sitting next to him, and there was a woman sitting there on the very full flight.

I don't think people who are so obviously ill should be allowed to board a flight. I did see an older man in BUD this summer, who was so drunk he could hardly stand up. He kept going up to an older woman and was trying to hug and sing to her. He was prevented from boarding at least, because I just know he would have been seated next to me!

At least he was not contagious and was somewhat entertaining.

gengar Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey, at least she was in an aisle. Last time ORD-LAS (ted) I was in 5C and the guy in 5A woke both me and 5B up probably 4 times to go to the bathroom. I asked him nicely at one point if he just wanted to switch seats with me. If you need to go a lot... get a darn aisle seat!

mahasamatman Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by msimons (Post 10990349)
Can't imagine why someone so obviously ill would have taken the flight to begin with.

These things can hit suddenly. I once took a flight NRT-SFO. I felt fine as I boarded the plane, not even suspecting anything was wrong. But pretty much as we rotated, "Bali belly" hit me. Hard.

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 10990364)
If you need to go a lot... get a darn aisle seat!

If you book late, you don't always get a choice.

drobbva Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by msimons (Post 10990349)
Was on ORD/SAN 555pm A320 last nite, oversold with 62 standbys.

Crazy...that same flight was oversold by 12 and standby of 46 people on Sunday. The last ORD-SAN flight was also oversold and over 50 people on standby. I knew that Monday was fully booked too....it looks like they still haven't recovered from last week's weather in ORD.

gengar Dec 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 10990562)
If you book late, you don't always get a choice.

Yeah, I suppose he may have been a E+ lottery winner. If he had any status on UA though, he certainly had a choice on this route.