Search

Airport lights dimmed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Airport lights dimmed?

I've noticed this on my last few trips. When flying over airports, I noticed that the lights (runways, taxiways, etc) have disappeared from the air. Even when looking straight on, they appeared to be very dim.

For example, when we were flying over IAD, no runways were apparent. I could see the planes on the runways taking off and landing, but that was it. Same thing at SLC when we flew by on our approach.

In previous years, I noticed that at least the runway lights were quite visible from the air. Have they dimmed the lights to save energy? It made me wonder how the pilots are able to make visual approaches at night when the runways seem barely visible.

Anyone know?

Super
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
since you're part of the "ua fold" , maybe you could ask a moderator to move this to the pilot q&a thread for perhaps a better response?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:26 pm
formerly Marwanie

Programs: BA Silver, MH Enrich Gold, BMI
Could be due to it being used more for ILS approaches where the lights aren't so necessary? (Sorry if I'm completely off, but from my limited knowledge of aeroplanes that's all I can think of)
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I've noticed this on my last few trips. When flying over airports, I noticed that the lights (runways, taxiways, etc) have disappeared from the air. Even when looking straight on, they appeared to be very dim.

For example, when we were flying over IAD, no runways were apparent. I could see the planes on the runways taking off and landing, but that was it. Same thing at SLC when we flew by on our approach.

In previous years, I noticed that at least the runway lights were quite visible from the air. Have they dimmed the lights to save energy? It made me wonder how the pilots are able to make visual approaches at night when the runways seem barely visible.

Anyone know?

Super
I have a little knowledge of this part of the indistry . First, nothing has changed over the past several years on airfield light intensity. The FAA makes recommendations, and they are pretty much followed religiously. To not follow the recommendations, and have an incident caused by poor lighting would be a big liability.

That said, most airfield lighting is designed for "side emitting" characteristics. The effective light energy is directed toward the aircraft, and not out of the top. This is especially true with LED based lighting, where the lens/prism assembly is designed to allow all of the available light energy to be directed to where it is needed the most.

So, if you were truely flying directly over the airfield, it would appear dim. But, from the pilots point of view, it should look fine!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That's completely normal. The lights are kept low when the visibility is good unless a pilot requests that they be turned up. They're also directional so they almost disappear when you're not lined up with the runway. When the visibility drops the intensity of the lights is increased.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:20 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
They're also directional so they almost disappear when you're not lined up with the runway.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.