Room Service Tip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Service Tip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:44 pm
Suspended

The gratuity in this case is a tip, but generally not all of it goes to the person bringing your food. This, along with things like gratuities from banquets and functions go into a pool. Your room service person might get a set percentage of what he/she brings in or it all might go into a pool where they get an amount based on hours worked. The rest goes to management types. The additional tip would go right to the room service person.

With that said, 22% gratuity is plenty. If you feel bad about it, just ask if there is a tip included when you get your bill. While they'll appreciate it, you won't find many staff who expect anything above that.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I like the Borgata in AC. When one orders room service, the bill comes with a large stamp that says, "Gratuity Included". There is not even a line to add a tip. You simply sign for the total.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There are hotels that won't allow the delivery driver to go up to the room in order to preserve their room service monopoly. So you better have a mobile for them to call and be prepared to go down to the lobby in that case! Greedy? Sure. But it happens.
Twice in a few weeks time I was at different hotels in the ORD area. I ordered deep-dish pizza from Gino's East both times. The firsyt hotel, the Westin, allowed the delivery driver to go up, but at the second, the Hyatt Rosemont, I had to go to the lobby.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Regarding restaurants, there's a difference between here and Europe. In Europe the server makes a living wage. Here, in many states, management is allowed to pay the server less than minimum wage with the expectation that there will be tips to make up the difference. Most European friends I explain this to say 'That's not my problem' as a response.

FWIW, most waiters and waitesses here in NYC loathe it when Europeans sit at their tables. They know they'll get a $2 tip on a $100 check.
Isn't it the truth?!

A few years ago I was at a Manhattan night spot waiting in line at the coat check. Two French guys were ahead of me. One said to the other in French, "Do we need to give her [the coat check girl] anything?" The other one replied, "No, just act European and give nothing."

I was so blown away that I interjected in French, "Hey. Pretend that you're at Castel [a Paris nightclub] and give her $2.00 for each coat."

I shamed them into compliance.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Depending on the amount of the "mandatory gratuity" and the quality of the service, I may or may not add a tip. But if I do tip because the service was prompt and the waiter friendly, I give the server $2 or $3 in cash - that way I know that he or she receives it. This works particularly well if I am in the same hotel for a week or more, because the same server will often return the next night, and the service will be timely, the food appropriately hot/cold, the order correct, and sometimes some extras included.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:46 pm

Information asymmetry and exploitation

Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
I agree. As a European, I usually give 10% for good/reasonable service. Hotel rooms I do not tip extra. Also a 22% automatically added tip on the bill, unless stated on the menu I would complain about. I don't want to be forced to tip. The delivery charge should cover the cost of the delivery and the tip should be for serving and there isn't exactly any of that when it's room service. I will usually tip more in the US, but the rest of the world I only tip more than 10% if the service is exceptional, and I'm not afraid to walk away without leaving a tip if the service was poor!
I couldn't agree more with the above.

There are reasons for this custom and there are things we can do to change the system.

Information asymmetry is the term for a situation where one party in a deal knows more about the product or procedure then the other party. This usually means that the deal will not be economically optimized i.e. it will be unfair. The tipping and service charge procedures are not transparent at all as the many posts by our experienced travelers show. For more inexperienced travelers it will likely be even worse. Complaints to the management and the BBB are in order. In addition, I like to vote with my wallet. I keep it closed. If I see service charges are added or there is stuff I don't find transparent I will just not use that service. Usually there are plenty of other options.

Exploitation is the second factor. The US system is pure exploitation. Many waiters in the restaurant and hotel business, as already noted in this thread, do not make a living wage in the US. Oftentimes they do not even have fixed contracts and receive no benefits. They can be let go of easily or told that today business is slow so they don't need to show up, depriving them even of a chance to earn money. It's very unjust. It's pretty close to indentured servitude.

For the client it is not good, either, because this system means that there is a huge turnover which brings instability to the service and limits how efficient service can really be. If a hotel or restaurant keeps the same crew on board for a long time, they can be trained as to optimize all processes and procedures. If the staff is constantly changing that just doesn't happen.

At the same time staff in the gastronomy/hotelerie business in Europe is often highly trained. If you work in a good hotel as a waiter you usually have a three year training that is very complete. Switzerland, Germany and France all have fantastic schools; the Ivy League of hotel schools. This doesn't mean that they are friendlier. Normally, the American staff is friendlier which is due to pressure from the management but also due to the simple fact that they are brown nosing because that's what will earn them more.

I tip 10-15% but not more in the US because if they see that the system is stupid and people don't agree, they might change it. Unfortunately, too many Americans are not conscious of the above and just acquiesce because that's how it's always been. You get the system you deserve.

In France, where there is a service charge of around 16-20% included, I might give a nominal tip of 1 or 2 Euros if they were nice.

In Germany, where there is no service charge included but workers get full contracts with benefits etc which shows up in slightly higher prices for the product itself, I round up. Say the bill is 56 or 58 Euros. I round up to 60. I try to give around 10% maybe even less. More only if the service was stellar or I feel particularly generous.

Till
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:06 pm
Suspended

It's always stated on the menu. There is a slow uptick in pricing of all of this. I'd suggest that if the charge is more than $4 and the gratuity above 18%, then you can start calling the hotel manager on duty. To them, if nobody complains, then it's not an issue.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:57 pm
Suspended

For my first few trips I didn't know that the service charge would cover the tip because there was a seperate line. So they ended up getting like ~40% all in tips+sc+$3 delivery fee. And I paid for the meals except one breakfast personally, ouch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.