FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Diaper change in empty seat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/875969-diaper-change-empty-seat.html)

bmvaughn Oct 14, 2008 9:22 am

Diaper change in empty seat?

Something tells me this is going to get closed, but I did a search and didn't find any other threads where this had occurred previously.

I was on a flight LAX-SEA this past weekend (UA 6112) and the gentleman in the seat behind me - whose son had been using the tray table behind me as a drum and who did not stop his son from doing so when I had asked nicely - began to change his son's diaper in the empty seat. I couldn't believe someone would have the cojones to do this - on a small CR7 noless.

I was incredibly disgusted when the FA walked by and didn't say a thing. Granted, there's no changing table on the CR7, but the guy didn't even go to look!

Jaimito Cartero Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 10518086)
Not sure why this got moved with no explanation - it happened on UA.

Mods, please move back to UA.

Good luck on getting it moved back. I've never seen a FA tell someone to stop changing a diaper on a seat. I do find it distasteful, and agree with you. I had the same happen to me yesterday.

jhayes_1780 Oct 14, 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 10518065)
Something tells me this is going to get closed, but I did a search and didn't find any other threads where this had occurred previously.

I was on a flight LAX-SEA this past weekend and the gentleman in the seat behind me - whose son had been using the tray table behind me as a drum and who did not stop his son from doing so when I had asked nicely - began to change his son's diaper in the empty seat. I couldn't believe someone would have the cojones to do this - on a small CR7 noless.

I was incredibly disgusted when the FA walked by and didn't say a thing. Granted, there's no changing table on the CR7, but the guy didn't even go to look!

Couple of things....

IIRC the CR700's do have a changing table.

Second, I have no problem if the dad used a changing pad or a blanket.

Finally, as far as the drum beating on the tray (and your request to have it stop that was ignored).... You should have told the kid his father killed Santa Claus **before I get flamed... I am kidding!

DLFan2 Oct 14, 2008 9:40 am

A wet diaper is one thing. A poopy diaper is something else entirely.

ralfp Oct 14, 2008 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 10518123)
Finally, as far as the drum beating on the tray (and your request to have it stop that was ignored).... You should have told the kid his father killed Santa Claus **before I get flamed... I am kidding!

Fantastic idea! :D

Though I do find that playing peek-a-boo is quite effective in getting kids to stop being annoying. OTOH the other pax may not think it's an improvement. :)

PTravel Oct 14, 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 10518110)
Good luck on getting it moved back. I've never seen a FA tell someone to stop changing a diaper on a seat. I do find it distasteful, and agree with you. I had the same happen to me yesterday.

I've seen FAs tell parents to take it to the lav. However, you have to complain to the FA. In-seat diaper changes are not merely aesthetically disgusting -- they are unsanitary and dangerous to those with compromised immunity systems, the elderly, etc.

brendog Oct 14, 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 10518253)
I've seen FAs tell parents to take it to the lav. However, you have to complain to the FA. In-seat diaper changes are not merely aesthetically disgusting -- they are unsanitary and dangerous to those with compromised immunity systems, the elderly, etc.

Look on the bright side: At least someone wasn't changing a diapered adult on the spare seat... :D

FWAAA Oct 14, 2008 9:55 am

I changed diapers on the floor in front of my seat (in biz or first, where there's plenty of room) or on the adjacent seat only when the seat belt sign was on and the pilots had ordered the FAs to stop their service because of turbulence. Otherwise, the changing tables (all AA planes had (and still have) them) in the lavs work fine.

TMOliver Oct 14, 2008 10:04 am

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 10518253)

I'd blame it on "Bad Raising" by the Mama of the diaper-changer. An FA who would pass and let it pass reveals evidence of equally insufferable "Trailer Park Rearing". Modern psychologists would likely blame it on our modern capacity to be totally inconsiderate of others.

Not any less disgusting than picking your nose or reaching down your britches to sctatch an itch, dorsal or ventral, it's only excusable - and a best partially - in emergencies and when the changer carries his/her own tarp to spread prior to the exercise.

Fraser Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am

The worst to me was on an AA transcon flight when the woman in row 1 changed her kids brown nappy on the table between the seats whilst she was nibbling on a packet of pretzels or chips.

*BARF*

N965VJ Oct 14, 2008 10:18 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 10518065)
<SNIP> began to change his son's diaper in the empty seat.

Huh? Diaper changing is woman’s work!

rochel Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

Absolutely not acceptable! The lav is for business like this, for anyone of any age. Even if there isn't a diaper changing table, bring a pad and do it on the top of the toilet lid.

It's horrible to think of someone exposing their fellow passengers to the sight, the smell, and the potential biohazard contamination. Also, it's certain that someone will sit in that seat on an upcoming flight and that creates an incredibly unsanitary condition.

srfrgirl4 Oct 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2 (Post 10518179)
A wet diaper is one thing. A poopy diaper is something else entirely.

sorry, I disagree...it is inappropriate to change any diaper on an airplane seat...that's just gross

bmvaughn Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 10518416)
Huh? Diaper changing is woman’s work!

She was taking care of the 2 year-old that was going crazy because he couldn't see out of the window.

DLFan2 Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by srfrgirl4 (Post 10519113)
sorry, I disagree...it is inappropriate to change any diaper on an airplane seat...that's just gross

Actually, we agree. I don't think either one is appropriate. But I would be less likely to make a fuss about a changing a diaper that was just wet. I was just thinking from a sight and smell standpoint. The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that the issue is greater than that...contamination of the seat, thinking about the next person to occupy the seat, etc. The more I think about it, the more disgusted I become. It is absolutely the FA's responsibility to nip such behavior in the bud.