Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airports allow alcohol outside of eating establishments?

Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First

I brought up the topic of airports that allow you to carry drinks around the concourse in this thread, so far MDW and DAL have been mentioned. At MDW, I saw signs in a couple of the bars explicitly inviting you to ask for drinks "to go". I know I have seen signs at other airports that alcoholic drinks can't be removed from the serving establishment, and I assume that is the general rule in most US airports.

What others are there? I would think that since Europe and other parts of the world are not so uptight regarding alcohol that this might be more common outside the US.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:36 pm

Houston Hobby
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by djk7
I know I have seen signs at other airports that alcoholic drinks can't be removed from the serving establishment, and I assume that is the general rule in most US airports.
It's not airport rules - its relevant state law governing alcohol service and consumption. Don't look for any restaurant or bar in Michigan to let you take a drink 'off property'.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not airport rules - its relevant state law governing alcohol service and consumption. Don't look for any restaurant or bar in Michigan to let you take a drink 'off property'.
I realize that state and local open container laws also have some bearing on this. AFAIK, Ohare doesn't allow it, but MDW does, and they are in the same state, not sure if they are both in the Chicago city limits or not.

I know that various jurisdictions have exemptions to the open container laws. My local college suspends them on football game days to allow tailgate parties, during certain special events you can carry a drink around downtown, which would normally be forbidden.

It wouldn't surprise me greatly to find that somewhere in the US, there are totally dry airports with commercial service.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
LAS allows it.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
AFAIK, Ohare doesn't allow it, but MDW does, and they are in the same state, not sure if they are both in the Chicago city limits or not.
In ORD there's that "bar" inbetween terminals 1 and 2 that doesn't even have a real seating area. I've also seen people purchase beers in Concourse C from the various places and carry them around the airport.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:38 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Don't look for any restaurant or bar in Michigan to let you take a drink 'off property'.
Same goes for GEG. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same at SEA and PDX (different state than GEG and SEA, but Oregon has some strict liquor laws), also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.