Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denominations of currency from ATMs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: SPG, NW Worldperks
Originally Posted by choster
Contrast that with the glares I got from the cashiers at Chedraui in Cozumel trying to use a 500 MXN note to buy about 150 MXN of groceries. This wasn't a mom-and-pop stall in the square, but a huge supermarket in a major tourist destination during peak tourist season, and there was plenty of change in the drawer. W.T.F.?
I ran into that same issue at a supermarket in Tulum. It was like a big deal to give more than 200 pesos as change, even though they are constantly taking in 200 peso notes.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Back in July, before the latest devaluation and launch of the so-called "third dollar", ATMs were no longer able to handle customer requests in Zimbabwe due to data overflow errors resulting from the string of zeroes in the cash amounts; a 100 billion Zim dollar note (~ US$0.20) was issued and this was the maximum daily cash withdrawal amount.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
If you withdraw $100 in BDA one bank's machine will give you a $50, two $20's and a $10 while another bank's machine will give you two $50's. Makes sense that an ATM could be customizable like that but I find it strange that different banks would have different preferences.

In SXM some ATMs give you the option of Netherlands Antilles guilders or US dollars.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Actually, it does exist... but only in such limited quantities that I've never seen one. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a few at the bank when they were available.
Interesting - I didn't know that.

That said, from the URL you posted earlier it doesn't look like the $20 is a circulation note in the Portrait or Ship series. It's only mentioned in the Bird series.

I don't think Citi is likely to be carrying them any time soon .
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wharvey
I honestly do not believe this is true..... while most ATMs in the US do not dispense bills larger than $20s and no $1, I have gotten $5, $10 and $20 from ATMs.
I don't recall ever having gotten a $5, but I remember back when it was about 50/50 between "all 20s" and "20s + 10s" and I've used an ATM (Citibank in San Francisco) that delivers 10s as recently as early 2006.

One of the Citibank branches near me has ATMs which give both 20s and 50s - that's the only time I've seen that.

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Citibank ATMs only give out $20 and $10 bills.
Except for the two mentioned above, every Citibank ATM I've used around here (Northern California) has only offered $20s.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ajnz
Interesting - I didn't know that.

That said, from the URL you posted earlier it doesn't look like the $20 is a circulation note in the Portrait or Ship series. It's only mentioned in the Bird series.
It's a bizarre semi-commemorative note, issued in large quantities (3 million were printed), but not a regular circulation note. You could pick them up from banks at face value last year (max 2 notes per customer), and they're still available on eBay etc at a minor premium (~S$25).
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:25 am

I found a cool ATM in Stockholm Sweden - the usual 100 kr and 500 kr (roughly $15/€11 and $75/€55 respectivly) as well as $20 and $100 and €20 and €50 - six different papers in three different currencies.

Sad thing I needed pound sterling, I was heading for London :-)
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:13 am

$10 atms

can you tell me if there are any ATMs that give $10 bills in the LA area... specifically West LA?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:02 pm

There's an ATM outside my office that gives $20s and $10s.

If you know where to look, I hear there are still establishments that host ATMs that dispense $1s. I hear those are in places where singles may be used a lot
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium?
Here in Germany the ATMs seem to always spit out a mix of denominations, even when you ask for an even amount (ie. 300 euros will come out as 4x50, 3x20, 3x10, 2x5)

On a related note, I ran into side by side ATMs in AMS (amsterdam airport). One was for euros the other dipensed dollars. Rather strange, I thought. The $ ATM only had 20s.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by BDL-FRA
On a related note, I ran into side by side ATMs in AMS (amsterdam airport). One was for euros the other dipensed dollars. Rather strange, I thought. The $ ATM only had 20s.
I've seen this in Istanbul, too, including at the airport -- there are actually some that give the choice of U.S. dollars, euros, or Turkish Lira.

I also just visited an ATM at the City Centre Mall in Doha that offered U.S. dollars or Qatari Riyals. Nice.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:48 pm

I live in Hawaii and have only gotten $20 bills and multiples thereof.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:29 am

Although this thread is old:

I had a shocking experience with an ATM in GVA airport. I withdrew 1000 CHF and the machine gave me a single 1000 CHF note (worth about $880 at today's exchange rate). What was even better was I took it over to a supermarket and bought about 5 CHF worth of groceries, yet the cashier took the bill without blinking. In the city the machines (according to signs) had a combo of 20/50/100/200/1000 CHF notes and some had €50 or €100 notes.

Coming from a country where people hesitate to take $50s and look at you like you're from another planet when you give them a $100 (Canada), it was quite funny!
Old May 15, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
Although this thread is old:

I had a shocking experience with an ATM in GVA airport. I withdrew 1000 CHF and the machine gave me a single 1000 CHF note (worth about $880 at today's exchange rate). What was even better was I took it over to a supermarket and bought about 5 CHF worth of groceries, yet the cashier took the bill without blinking. In the city the machines (according to signs) had a combo of 20/50/100/200/1000 CHF notes and some had €50 or €100 notes.

Coming from a country where people hesitate to take $50s and look at you like you're from another planet when you give them a $100 (Canada), it was quite funny!
To be fair, if it wasn't for the grey (and black) markets, Canada would probably do away with paper money altogether. The bloody ice cream trucks take interac now.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
I did a double take airside at Oslo's Gardermoen airport. A row of maybe 5 atms all dispensing different currencies. It went something like this....

ATM 1 advised it dispensed other Scandinavian Kroner
ATM 2 was Euro, Pounds, CHF
ATM 3 was Roubles, Zloty, CZK etc
ATM 4 gave out Yen, Yuan, THB, SGD etc
ATM 5 dispensed USD, CAD

I was so taken aback by this I was almost tempted to withdraw some Estonian Kroons that I would never be able to use just because I could!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.