Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see the same person(s) on your return flight?

Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

Have any of yall ever noticed sometimes that you'll take a flight out somewhere and then (non MR, i'd presume) on your return home 1, 2, 3, however many days later you recognize people from your flight out on the same flight home?

I had this happen last weekend as I was going UAL IAD-IAH on Friday Morning. I was seated in E+ and there was this annoying family of a man, his brother brother (uncle jim) and his son one row in front of me, screaming across the aisle and to someone a row behind me.

They were terribly annoying...the son and his uncle were really loud and such, but whatever, it was a 3 hr flight...no big deal...

Until I return to IAH to fly home to IAD on Sunday morning, and guess who's boarding the ERJ just as I do? The same three guys...and the same behavior on the way home...

I don't know, just wondered if anyone has experienced this (annoying or otherwise).....
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I was doing a MR GSO-ATL-MHT-ATL-GSO a few years ago, out on the 6 a.m. flight in the morning, back on the last flight back in at night. A father and son both decked out in FSU gear were across the aisle from me for both flights. I'm assuming they were down in TLH for the day.

In December 2006, I took the same four flights as another person (we both flew GSO-ATL-JAX-ATL-GSO that day). Out on the 6 a.m. flights, back out on the last flight out from JAX. Of course, it helped out a lot that we were both DL Medallions on award tickets going to see our Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the ACC Championship Game that day.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Last Sept, I was doing HKG-REP-HKG. An adult woman and her elderly father were on the same flight to REP, the same hotel (which we saw at the hotel restaurant), and the same flight back.

I did notice as the HKG-REP flight had about 9 ppl on it and they were seated directly across from us.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:58 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Before I joined FT, I always thought I was one of the very few people
who did weekend trips - relatively far away. In 2005 I did a few weekend
trips to DXB and I say a couple of others on each and every flight
I flew between AMS and DXB during those couple of months. It was
strange to know I was not the only one like that.
These were non-MR and pre-FT trips.

On domestic flights, I've often bumped into same people, but I didn't
find that strange.

Running into the same FAs is not that unusual on Domestic or International
flights.

Another strange incident...
A few year back, I had a seatmate from JFK-DXB and after chatting with
her, I found out we had been to the same cities during the same time
within past 4-5 weeks. We were either on the same flights or flights
leaving/departing around the same time. Some of those airports were ->
(JFK/LHR/DXB/SIN etc.. )
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I had this happen a couple of years ago. Heading out to a conference in SF, I had a very obnoxious person behind me in F (banging my seat, not letting me sleep, just a total PITA) - anyway the guy sitting across from me saw what was happening and commiserated. I got out of the conference earlier than expected and stood by the early flight. As I was boarding, the guy that had been sitting across from me on the flight a few days prior showed up behind me, unfortunately my upgrade didn't clear so we didn't get a chance to chat much on that flight.

It's happened on other occasions, too.

As for FAs - I had the same folks this morning as I had last week, and will have them again next week (except for one who is going on vacation). That familiarity makes the travel a bit easier when it happens.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:12 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I've had this happen quite often. Several times on short trips home to San Diego and also on a week+ Paris trip. On the Paris return flight I saw a couple that was on the flight over, and ran into the woman a few hours later when we were each picking up our dog from the kennel. Small world.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
Yes. On a MR LAX-FLL with quick turn. Saw a man from my incoming flight head to the same gate for the return. I asked if he was on a MR. He said that he was just flying for miles. He'd never heard of FT! Very funny.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've had it happen on numerous trips to cruises, which would be expected, same people going in either the day of the trip or the day before, and everybody leaving the same day to get back home.

I flew out to Chicago way back when to reboot a file server (and put in a remote reboot device so I would never have to do that again) and not only was the same person on the plane, he sat right next to me again.

A destination wedding was one time, but that shouldn't count, that was planned.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
My mom and I got a great deal from LAX to DUB about six years ago and flew on the nonstop on Aer Lingus. Seven days later when we took the nonstop back home we saw several people from our flight over. Many had also taken advantage of the fantastic deal.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC E
Plenty of times! Most recently was Allegiant Air's inaugural Bellingham-SFO flight - full of Vancouverites heading down for the Fri-Sun weekend. At least 80% of the people on the flight down were on the flight back. Same deal on a cheap Globespan jaunt from Glasgow to Barcelona a few years back - all the holiday makers head down one day and are back on the flight out a week later. I also see it a lot with conference travel - you see colleagues from town heading down to a meeting on your flight, see them around all week at a conference, and everybody gets on the same tin can home. I always like seeing which of the familiar faces look like they had a good trip and which are looking a little worse for wear.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Plenty. Weekends interstate plus side trips to touristy places, like Siem Reap.
Fortunately, the people I spoke to were good company, rather than being memorably annoying.

I've forgotten those that were annoying as I tried to ignore them as much as possible. That's aside from one or two QF flight crew on one memorably/miserably delayed trans-tasman flight.

To shut us up or get us off their list of underwhelmed pax, they made sure we had access to a nice bottle of wine.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:12 pm

Not that I can think of, but I did see a woman from my flight to MAD in the Plaza Mayor a few days later. My friend who had picked me up at the airport was actually the one who noticed her--kinda biggish American woman with plum-colored hair so easy to spot.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Happens to me very frequently

- same crew
- commuter flight, same people on Monday early am flight in as Friday evening flight out
- peak business flights, often the same people on certain business-friendly flights (based on schedule not fare)
- 1 day international business trip, same people on the early flight over as on the night flight back
- turnarounds, yes there are other mileage runners out there (including FTers)
- turnarounds on inaugural flights!
- route has a low frequency (eg 1 or 2 per week) with no viable alternatives, same people on flight back in 3/4/7 days' time
- travelling with FTers to a DO or other event
- etc
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I flown from TPA-CVG-PHX but, it was same crew where we flew together. I remember that was first segment from TPA-CVG on operated B732 aircraft. Then we stopped in CVG that I flying out from CVG-PHX by MD88. It was 3 years ago around August 2005. That I am already knows them with my flight crew. Luckily that I didn't have anything problems at all. I remember everything where same flight crew has been flown with me back home to PHX.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:28 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yes, on Monday morning I know a lot of people on the same flight every week and we met us on Friday on the same flight back !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.