Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see the same person(s) on your return flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever see the same person(s) on your return flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I was in club world going to FRU. I see someone I saw at the hotel in FRU 6 months earlier. We strike up a conversation and he is leaving on the BA plane before me.

Another time I was in SVO and I called a colleague in the US. His wife told me he was out of town. I walk into a cafe and there he is having lunch.

What are the odds.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Slightly OT

but after arriving in SYD and getting to our hotel, R and I decided to walk a bit before dinner. We meandered here and there, and on the way back to the hotel, appraching us was a gent who had sat upstairs with us LAX-SYD. We all recognized each other, said hi on passing.
Now, what are the chances of THAT happening?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Yep

ORD-PVG. I saw two ladies in seats 1D/G (middle seats in F) on my trip out. Two weeks later... de ja vu PVG-ORD... except this time they were showing off to the FAs all the fake handbags they had purchased during their stay in China. I was seriously embarrassed for them.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:01 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Quite often

I flew this past weekend and had a gentleman on my outbound and return. Have had it happen other times as well.

Once while flying RDU-ATL after I had just boarded I was thumbing through the magazine and saw a client's boarding pass in the magazine. He had occupied that seat on the ATL-RDU leg that had just landed. Small world....

Have had the same crew quite often too.

Last year, I flew SEA-NRT and chatted with an FA a bit. A few weeks later, I flew PEK-NRT and the FA was a pax flying back to the States after visiting her family.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Just Last Month.....

Flew HA18 HNL-LAS on 8/10 seated next to a pax in 3G, who, three days later, to my surprise, was standing next to me at the gate in LAS ready to board the return flight, HA17, LAS-HNL. We chatted about the coincidence.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Flew several years ago on EL-AL from LHR to TLV. I noticed a gentleman who had a definite aura about him. When we arrived in TLV, our relatives were excited to see the artist AGAM exiting at the same time. On our return trip to LHR, Agam, was on our flight. Having known little about this artist, prior to our trip, and subsequently learning what an important artist he is. it made our return just a little more interesting. As well, it was an educational experience.
gaobest likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
During the AA Fly-3 promo a couple of years back, I think half the pax on my DAL-AUS trip turned right around and re-boarded the same plane.

I flew on a twice-weekly ski charter DAL-DRO last winter. Not only were all the pax on the return flight 3 days later, but the charter company had put everyone into the exact same seats.

And when I was commuting weekly DFW-SLC, I always chose 20B on the AA MD80 (my favorite exit row aisle), and the same woman was always in 20A. Sometimes we were on the same return, sometimes not, but the outbound was always the same.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:19 pm
KTW

We take NSFs whenever possible and have seen both pax and fa's etc... on the return. As far as pax, maybe 25% and fa's etc... maybe the same.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:23 pm

Labor day weekend, PIT-PHL - my wife and I saw the same UM on WN on both there and back. We had a good boarding number, so sat up front both times, where most UM's are put.

On a similar note, once flying to PHL the woman who sat next to me (no, not my wife, a total stranger) on the plane was on the same train as me to downtown philly from the airport, got off at the same stop, took the same escalator to street level. it was a little weird, and I was the one taking the appearance of the stalker! I broke any weirdness by making some small talk about the convenience of the PIT-PHL flights when going up the escalator...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:19 am

Yes, I've seen plenty of FT'ers, particularly on same day RT mileage runs probably because:
-the best mileage runs with good availability out of my cities tend to be to the same destinations with the same routings
-the destination tends to be to a smaller city/airport with limited flights in/out to a particular hub and so the immediate turnaround is on the same plane (consequently see the same crew on those in/out segments)

Last edited by Smahatma; Sep 18, 2008 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:25 am

Not quite the same, but a few years back I was flying SFO-ATL on DL and for whatever reason, one particular flight attendant was memorable to me. A few weeks ago I spotted her again - she's now working as a nurse at the same hospital I do in LEX!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by dcutcher
but after arriving in SYD and getting to our hotel, R and I decided to walk a bit before dinner. We meandered here and there, and on the way back to the hotel, appraching us was a gent who had sat upstairs with us LAX-SYD. We all recognized each other, said hi on passing.
Now, what are the chances of THAT happening?
I've had that before on my only Concorde flight to date. Was in the Concorde Room at Heathrow and old guy next to me leans over and says he is quite deaf, can I wake him when BA001 is announced (they board the aircraft directly from the lounge) so I oblige. He thanks me and he goes to board the aircraft, I follow a few minutes later. Roll forward almost 5hrs and I'm checking into the IC Barclay and am next to the deaf guy again! Of all the hotels in NYC...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:49 pm

Just home from a 4 day trip to Disneyland. Flew Allegiant BLI to SAN, and recognized many people from the flight down. As my daughter and her husband have 4 kids 8 and under they attracted a lot of attention,lol. I did notice many chose the same seats for the return trip.

Had the opposite experience in August at SEA, went to use the ladies room, I honestly was not gone for more than 5 minutes, came back and did not recognize one single person waiting at the gate. In that time they announced a gate change, everyone left, and a whole new set of passengers was sitting there waiting!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yes, just happened to me Labor Day weekend. SEA-KOA for a long weekend. Same couple was seated in front of me on the outbound and return flight.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
A few times, I flew from LHR-Eindhoven (medium-sized city in eastern Holland where Philips Electronics is based) on VLM for day trips to see clients. I would be on the first flight out in the morning and return in the late afternoon. Even though the planes sat about 70 people, usually 10+ would be day-trippers like me. On the return, I always recognised a few faces from that morning's flight.

Occasionally I've done day trips to FRA and CDG; there are always a few faces that look familiar on the return leg.

I think it's probably quite common from LHR on continental destinations within 1:30 or so, as it's a reasonable distance for day trips.

Seeing the same people in the morning and evening is probably even more common from other British cities (EDI, MAN) due to the lower frequency of flights from those cities to the continent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.