Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who has the best Airport lounge "Day Pass"

Who has the best Airport lounge "Day Pass"

Reply

Old Sep 11, 08, 12:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Australia
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 105
Who has the best Airport lounge "Day Pass"

If one were to have a long layover or weather delay, which airline would be best to buy a One Day Pass from?

I'm somewhat familiar with AA. Their pass costs $50 for one person, $75 for two. No free drinks but does have wifi. You do not have to be flying on AA to use one.
TaxiApple is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 08, 12:59 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Posts: 2,870
Booze

Well, CO and DL have free booze. That would put them at the top of my list.
thebat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 08, 1:13 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Australia
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 105
I see on Delta's website the pass is only $30.

Not sure if that will include guests but it appears you can also access CO and NW lounges the same day.

Opps...it appears the Delta pass is a one "visit" pass as opposed to a one day pass.
Small detail, but it prevents you from lounge hopping on a longggg delay.

Last edited by TaxiApple; Sep 11, 08 at 1:23 pm
TaxiApple is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 08, 2:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 702
Lounges for different airlines in different airports are really hit or miss. If you think you will need an agent's help during your delay, just get a pass for the airline that you're traveling on.

If you're on the outbound part of your journey, consider that NW offers a 60-day pass for $125; you can bring in 2 guests, and you can hit the lounge on your return too.

Just noticed you're in SEA - you can sign up for the AS Visa card and keep the free Board Room passes in your wallet.
whistler814 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 08, 3:32 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Posts: 14,398
One day pass, I'd say CO at $45 - unlimited entrances, free booze, free wi-fi.

DL's One-Visit Pass is a good deal if you're not planning on leaving that club (meaning you know your flight at a hub is delayed, and have no reason to leave the lounge). Still doesn't get you wifi though.
mersk862 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 8:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 40,848
NW does have an enticing one for their 60 day 'trial' pass...

For airports with AS Boardrooms... they offer BR day passes for $30... $15 if a BR member purchases them- free wifi, some (adult and non) drinks free, premium at $5 ea...
beckoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 2:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Fran Area
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,705
Note that UA RCC only sells visit (not day) passes ($50). Free WiFi, but mediocre snacks and NO free booze.
jmd001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 5:57 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
NW does have an enticing one for their 60 day 'trial' pass...

For airports with AS Boardrooms... they offer BR day passes for $30... $15 if a BR member purchases them- free wifi, some (adult and non) drinks free, premium at $5 ea...
My thoughts, exactly.
dayone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 08, 6:15 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: K+K
Programs: *G
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by TaxiApple View Post
If one were to have a long layover or weather delay, which airline would be best to buy a One Day Pass from?

I'm somewhat familiar with AA. Their pass costs $50 for one person, $75 for two. No free drinks but does have wifi. You do not have to be flying on AA to use one.
i think a good strategy is to immediately eliminate whichever lounge has that particular airport as a hub... way less busy that way
deniah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 08, 6:54 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boxter, MD
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
One day pass, I'd say CO at $45 - unlimited entrances, free booze, free wi-fi.

DL's One-Visit Pass is a good deal if you're not planning on leaving that club (meaning you know your flight at a hub is delayed, and have no reason to leave the lounge). Still doesn't get you wifi though.
I agree, if your just looking to booze it up for a while before or after your flight, the Delta pass is best. But don't expect anything to eat other than pretzel type snacks. If you want booze and Wifi, CO is best and also has slightly better snacks.
frank3355 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 08, 6:57 pm
  #11  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,025
I have always felt that the NW Day Pass was a good value when I have had long layers in MSP.
obscure2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 08, 11:53 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Missouri
Programs: Priority Gold, UA, DL
Posts: 140
hmm seems like DL would be the best choice for me for a little afternoon in HNL unless their is somebody else their that is better
bthorny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 08, 8:48 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Posts: 3,876
Originally Posted by bthorny View Post
hmm seems like DL would be the best choice for me for a little afternoon in HNL unless their is somebody else their that is better
There is no longer a CrownRoom in HNL. SkyTeam is restricted to NW and CO (nearly side-by-side). The CO lounge is nicer, the NW lounge lacks restrooms. Neither have showers. The CO lounge requires Crown Room members to have membership card for entry or boarding pass listing membership... if you're a CR member flying NW without you're card, the CO lounge will not let you in. The NW lounge has no problem looking up your membership.
IsleOfMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 08, 2:41 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: near Sacramento, CA
Programs: UA No staus, HHonors Gold, SPG none, Hyatt-none
Posts: 151
I thought I had read somewhere that if you have AMEX Platnium or other Credit Cards or was it AAA or something that you can get access to the lounges for free? I can't recall where I saw that.
nearSACTO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 08, 5:25 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by nearSACTO View Post
I thought I had read somewhere that if you have AMEX Platnium or other Credit Cards or was it AAA or something that you can get access to the lounges for free? I can't recall where I saw that.
With Amex Platinum you can access lounges when you are flying that same day on the airline, it works with AA, CO, DL, NW.

I don't know about the other airlines, but with AA, you do NOT get wifi when you get in with Amex.

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

There are lots of threads on this in the Amex forum.
eeeee is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread