Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance when buying a trip in pieces

Old Aug 27, 08, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club

I've never purchased travel insurance before, but I know that we will want to for an upcoming, complicated trip to the 2010 Oberammergau Passion Play. We will be traveling around the area for about two weeks and it will represent a significant investment of both money and miles/points.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how we purchase insurance for a trip that we will be purchasing in pieces over a span of up to a year or more. In looking online at the quoting tools at insuremytrip.com, it asks for both a total trip cost and departure and return dates, neither of which will be finalized when we purchase the first piece (the tickets to the passion play). Do we estimate and then change it later? (is that possible?) Are we better off insuring each element separately?

I assume that someone around here has been in this situation before, but I couldn't find it in search.

If it's helpful, this is a rough estimate of our timeline for putting the pieces together....
Very soon- purchase tickets to the passion play (about a $600 investment for the two of us)
about June 2009- book FF tickets
Following the booking of FF tickets- book lodging for the two week trip, some with money and some with points.
June 2010- Travel.
Old Aug 27, 08, 8:58 am

Insurance

My travel agent has adjusted my coverage when necessary but she is with AAA and I think they only deal with Access America so there is a pretty good "working relationship" there. I wouldn't depend on anyone's opinion but instead call an expert like www.insuremytrip.com or www.tripinsurancestore.com. Even then I would like to have something in writing in hand.
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:59 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Just a note of caution - read any policy very, very carefully.

Travel insurance policies are notorious for exclusions and travel insurance companies are notorious for doing everything within their power to not pay claims.
Old Aug 27, 08, 1:41 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Easiest is to get an annual policy. That way there are less grey areas on coverage which can arise when you book separate tickets to make up a trip.
Old Aug 27, 08, 3:11 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Easiest is to get an annual policy.
Just make sure you read the policy carefully. Sometimes annual policies make it necessary to inform the insurance company of a trip before you take the trip.
Old Aug 27, 08, 4:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If I read this right, the actual trip is only about two weeks long.

The dollar amount and the trip dates are only used to calculate the rate of the insurance, which is based on the value of the trip and how many days it is.

If you are not sure of the exact details of either of those, you can overestimate them both. The coverage will cost you a bit more, but you will be covered. Actual payment, should it be necessary, will however be based on the actual loss.

Depending on the policy, there may or may not be any real reason to rush the insurance. Some companies will insure pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within two weeks, but if you don't have any then there's no real reason to rush the insurance for a trip over a year away. Of course, should you have a covered loss, it has to be after the date you purchase the insurance. So you may be able to hold off on the insurance a bit if you don't need the extra buy it immediatly coverages.

I would not recommend insuring each piece differently, that could be a mess should you have to file a claim, with each company saying they are secondary to all the others.

And yes, certainly second the making sure to read all the fine print, the entire multi page policy, not just the paragraph or whatever on the website, as to what is and is not covered before you purchase.
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
If I read this right, the actual trip is only about two weeks long.

The dollar amount and the trip dates are only used to calculate the rate of the insurance, which is based on the value of the trip and how many days it is.

If you are not sure of the exact details of either of those, you can overestimate them both. The coverage will cost you a bit more, but you will be covered. Actual payment, should it be necessary, will however be based on the actual loss.

Depending on the policy, there may or may not be any real reason to rush the insurance. Some companies will insure pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within two weeks, but if you don't have any then there's no real reason to rush the insurance for a trip over a year away. Of course, should you have a covered loss, it has to be after the date you purchase the insurance. So you may be able to hold off on the insurance a bit if you don't need the extra buy it immediately coverages.
You are correct, the trip is only about two weeks long.

We don't have any pre-existing conditions that we would need to insure. It's just that laying out at least $600 for tickets that are the linchpin of the whole trip makes me nervous. The Passion Play does offer the opportunity to purchase travel insurance (don't recall the company right now) just on those tickets when ordering tickets, but from what I've read here, that seems like a bad idea unless I can get that company to insure my whole trip.

Thanks for all the input!
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Easiest is to get an annual policy. That way there are less grey areas on coverage which can arise when you book separate tickets to make up a trip.
Can you recommend a good annual policy?
Old Aug 28, 08, 7:17 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Anyone collected?

Has anyone ever actually collected on a travel insurance claim?
Old Aug 28, 08, 7:34 am

Insurance

Yes, we have collected big time. Once when my husband's mother died and the other when my husband had to have heart surgery. One trip was to Egypt the other to Africa and were canceled at the last minute. We would have lost close to $30,000 without insurance.
Old Aug 28, 08, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta UA Spg
travel insurance

The first time we ever purchased travel insurance my husband ended up hospitalized in Indonesia. We had no problem getting reimbursed once we arrived back home. The company we used was Access America.
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:00 pm

Programs: QF WP (QP on hold)
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
My grandfather did, big time. He broke his neck skiiing in the French Alps (leaving him a quadriplegic) and had to be rescued by helicopter and then after a week or two in a French hospital medically evacuated back to Australia.

All up it cost the insurance company about $200,000. This was in 1990.

Sadly he never recovered from the quadriplegia and spent the remaining 2 and a half years of his life wishing that they had let him die on the mountain.

Audrey
Old Aug 29, 08, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat View Post
I or family members have collected on several travel insurance policies--trip interruption, baggage, and medical.

I'd recommend checking out two broker/comparison sites--squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com--and would second the advice to read the policy contract carefully, especially because you wish to insure event tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: