Search

Best way to find and book multiple hotels in various cities

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:53 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Best way to find and book multiple hotels in various cities

So, as some of you are aware, I'm off on one of the mammoths of all RTW trips at the end of the year, with the following routing:

AKL - NAN - SYD - BNE - MEL - BNE - HKG - SIN - FRA - LHR - CDG - VIE - MXP - ATH - JTR - ATH - CDG - JFK - DFW - MEX - HAV - MEX - DFW - BWI - DFW - LAX - AKL

I've yet to book any accomodation - but I'm trying not to spend over about US$150 per night, at a grand total of 97 nights accom required (eeek)

What would fellow FTers suggest as the easiest method of finding and booking accomodation for all these cities? Shall I delegate the task to a friendly travel agent? Credit card concierge? Find them all myself?

If I do end up looking for and booking them myself, anyone got any recommendations for the best place to look? I need somewhere that I can easily filter by room amenities such as complimentary wifi, kitchenette (if pos), etc.

Suggestions welcome! ^

Last edited by wijomas; Aug 2, 2008 at 2:54 am Reason: added spaces between cities to fix broken page formatting
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:19 am

One factor that you should consider is the possibility of something going wrong (delays, injury, "new friends", etc.) so whatever you do, I suggest that you ensure that it is easy for you to make changes.

Personally, I would try and make as many reservations myself directly with Hilton, Starwood, Choice, etc.

97 nights is also an excellent opportunity to rack up status in one or more of the hotel programs.

One other thought. You are visiting some very expensive locations so you should have a close look at Starwood's cash and Points and - assuming that you have a bank of points.

When traveling on my own dime, I always book high-end hotels on weekends in cities and not so high-end hotels mid week.

I really doubt if you could rely on a Travel Agent to to do all/any of the above.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:27 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Thanks for the reply, Bondiboy. Unfortunately I have next to no points on any hotel program at the moment - probably 1 nights worth at the most.

Given that a lot of the chains are well into the $200-$300 per night mark, I may not be able to stick with some of the high-end chains.

Are there any programs that are relatively good for "not so high end, but not cr*p" hotels?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: UA, AA
On-line Booking Sites

Agoda.com
AsiaRooms.com
Booking.com

These are some very popular ones. I've used the first 2 for long trips and plan to use the last one soon because you do not pay until you arrive at hotel.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think you are going to have to do it yourself. i'd try orbitz for the us section, and venere for europe. both do sorts well. do not know how to do the rest. you have 27 stops. if you spend a couple hours on each, you're in for about a month of free time.

i think €100 in major european cities buys a 3rd floor walk up with a shower and toilet at the end of the hall.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:48 am

(apologies if this is covered in another thread, I didn't spot it in search)

My husband and I are spending 28 days on the road in Feb 2011, in 4-5 different cities (EU, AU, SK, JP). Are there any hotel chains that offer discount programs for staying within the chain and booking all in one go?

Any advice on large scale bookings like this would be very welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.