Reload this Page >

Rental Car Model Turns Upside-Down

Old Jul 28, 08, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom

This is interesting -- we've been conditioned by the car rental companies that bigger means better means more expensive...

We might see . . . subcompacts renting for triple the price of SUVs," he said.

It's already happening. A recent survey of pricing at a Budget location at Los Angeles International Airport showed the midweek daily price for a Hyundai Accent economy car exceeded that of a Ford Explorer or a convertible Ford Mustang. Dollar and several other companies were offering SUV rentals in June for as little as $37.99 a day.

In planning purchases this year, Avis Budget said it was focusing on cars with four-cylinder engines, while Enterprise, which has 5,000 hybrids in its fleet, expects to double that next year, spokeswoman Christy Conrad said.
link

So, reserve than giant SUV and pray you're upgraded into a Corolla!
Old Jul 28, 08, 8:57 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
By "upside down," I thought you meant a particular vehicle's tendency to literally flip over.
Old Jul 28, 08, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by opus17 View Post
This is interesting -- we've been conditioned by the car rental companies that bigger means better means more expensive...

link

So, reserve than giant SUV and pray you're upgraded into a Corolla!
This does not surprise me. Years ago, when I was very naive, the young man at the rental counter in ZRH offered me a wonderful upgrade to a Jaguar X Type. Thought it was really nice of him until I realized the price of gas! No one else would take the darn thing off of his hands!
Old Jul 28, 08, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
it is sort of funny, of all the "free upgrades" I have been given this yr, my two favorite rentals thus far have both been Hyundais - a Sonata earlier in the yr and the Elantra I am driving this week. The Elantra is not even an upgrade - its Dollar's smallest economy car. Both have had XM radio which is a HUGE plus to me, plus they are far better rides than the GMs and Chrystlers I have driven.
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:20 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
For those who need the convenience of a car but aren't going to do much driving, the SUV at a low price may be the perfect match. Example: Going to Disney World I'd rent the car for an occasional jaunt to a nearby non-Disney restaurant plus the round trip from and to the airport while relying on Disney's free transit buses most of the time. This strategy will change now that Disney offers free airport transportation.

But you need to double check your credit card agreement or whatever provides rental car insurance and coverages, to see whether that SUV is included in the covered models.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

OT: (news item from a few months ago) Store has difficulty selling really big suitcases despite discount prices due to airline surcharges on large items. (almost quoting now) Clerk at return counter: "Henry's back again" referring to the suitcase.

Last edited by AllanJ; Jul 29, 08 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I'm renting an SUV from BOS this evening for $35/day. The cheapest car (non SUV) is over $100...
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Perhaps I'm lucky - I booked an economy car in PHX for a multi-hundred mile tour of the AZ/UT parks over Labor Day weekend for $9/day - $80 all-in for a week

I also have a compact SUV reserved for $135/wk - I'm trying to figure out which I'm going to use.

I have noticed many "upgrades" to large vehicles recently.
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hoyateach View Post
By "upside down," I thought you meant a particular vehicle's tendency to literally flip over.
Yes, he was referring to the (now inexpensive) Ford Exploder....
Old Jul 29, 08, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
it is sort of funny, of all the "free upgrades" I have been given this yr, my two favorite rentals thus far have both been Hyundais - a Sonata earlier in the yr and the Elantra I am driving this week. The Elantra is not even an upgrade - its Dollar's smallest economy car. Both have had XM radio which is a HUGE plus to me, plus they are far better rides than the GMs and Chrystlers I have driven.
I got a Sonata yesterday at ORF. Only drove it about 30-40 miles in all, but I was reasonably impressed. Leather seats, sunroom, XM radio - good stuff. Was kind of bummed to find out that I had to show a receipt for gas otherwise I'd get hit with the minimum fuel charge though. The needle was still on "F" when I returned the car, so I figured they'd let it slide. I guess they're onto that game.
Old Jul 29, 08, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
I got a Sonata yesterday at ORF. Only drove it about 30-40 miles in all, but I was reasonably impressed. Leather seats, sunroom, XM radio - good stuff. Was kind of bummed to find out that I had to show a receipt for gas otherwise I'd get hit with the minimum fuel charge though. The needle was still on "F" when I returned the car, so I figured they'd let it slide. I guess they're onto that game.
A lot of gas gauges read "F" for the first 2 or 3 gallons. BTW, what did they charge you? I am going to guess $6.25/gal.
Old Jul 29, 08, 3:15 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by VonS View Post
This does not surprise me. Years ago, when I was very naive, the young man at the rental counter in ZRH offered me a wonderful upgrade to a Jaguar X Type. Thought it was really nice of him until I realized the price of gas! No one else would take the darn thing off of his hands!
OT but which company did you use at ZRH. AM going there soon and need to rent a car.
Old Jul 29, 08, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG View Post
A lot of gas gauges read "F" for the first 2 or 3 gallons. BTW, what did they charge you? I am going to guess $6.25/gal.
Some of the rental places have a sign which says that if you drive <75 miles, you will be charged something along the lines of a "courtesy refilling charge" of $10, and that you can show a gas receipt to have those charges not applied.

Looks like Budget actually got taken to court over the charges:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/11/budget.shtm
Old Jul 29, 08, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
Some of the rental places have a sign which says that if you drive <75 miles, you will be charged something along the lines of a "courtesy refilling charge" of $10, and that you can show a gas receipt to have those charges not applied.
Avis/Budget has this policy - the fee is up to $13.99

Szymon

Search this Thread
Search Engine: