FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Mileage runs and other FF behaviour: Questions from a Researcher (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/846169-mileage-runs-other-ff-behaviour-questions-researcher.html)

iainb Jul 17, 2008 11:53 pm

Mileage runs and other FF behaviour: Questions from a Researcher

My name is Iain Black and I am an academic at an Australian University. I have recently finished a study of very frequent flyers (I took 50 flights in 3 months) but the journal editors who want to publish my work have a couple of issues that need clarified. I have some ideas of my own but would like to hear yours.

Over a couple of threads, I was hoping to put forward the issues and see if someone could shed some light on them. I talked to the mods for this board and this was the approach suggested.

---Mileage runs. Does anyone have stories not only about going on a mileage run but could also explain the reasons for doing them that go beyond the perks that come with keeping/upgrading tier status.

---Using FF check in lines when Y class queue is shorter. In a couple of airports, (LHR and GLA) I saw travellers walk past much shorter Y class check-in to use FF check-in for flights with no F or J class. Could anyone suggest why they might do this?

Many thanks in antipation. BTW. I am happy to converse privately with anyone as well as disclosing full contact details so you can see this is genuine academic research!

thegeneral Jul 18, 2008 12:33 am

To both questions, some people do like the attention that each bring. Some people do MR's to get status to make the rest of the travel easier and to get some perks. To others, their identity is tied closely to being a frequent flyer. There's a reason why they list all of the programs they're registered with in their signature.

In terms of using the line, the elite queue tends to go faster than the regular line in terms of more agents calling people over. There's also a matter of people who want that entitlement and sense of self-worth it brings. Sometimes, being in the elite line takes more because you get the people who walk up and buy tickets to odd far away places.

florin Jul 18, 2008 1:10 am

1) MRs. The very definition of a MR is flying to acquire miles in order to attain or maintain some Elite status. I have a hard time imagining OTHER reasons beyond that. There are other reasons why people "fly for the sake of flying" (so to speak), such as being on an inaugural flight of some sort or the last flight on a particular type of plane, but these do not qualify as mileage runs.

2) Using Elite lanes. (I'm assuming you are talking about Elite check-in lines, not security lines, becasue that's a different story.) A lot of people use Elite lanes because it's a confirmation of their status. They don't want to mix with the peasants. It's usually the same people you see in the boarding area with their FF card out doing anything in their power to get noticed as an Elite. They'd wear FF t-shirts if they could to make sure people KNOW. I've even seen some showing off their older (expired) FF card.

I generally don't go to an Elite check-in line if the "regular" line is shorter, but I admit that I have done it on a couple of occasions. You usually get better treatement form the Elite staff; more improtantly they are more knowledgeable. If I'm trying to score an upgrade or a bump, I'll go to the Elite line because the non-Elite staff is likely clueless. (I've gotten many blank stares from agents when I asked or told them about stuff that I knew and that they should have known.) Anytime I try to do something out of the ordinary (e.g. fly A-B-C and only check a bag to B instead of my final destination) I go to the Elite check-in line.

I agree with thegeneral: on rare occasions the regular line is only marginally shorter. Elites being more experienced travelers, the elite line can actually be faster.

MarkXS Jul 18, 2008 1:30 am

Keep in mind there are some variants of the MR, which I could call:
  1. The "Fare looks great, lots of miles, I think I'll do a mini-vacation". This tends to use mistake fares to rack up miles but also go somewhere of interest, usually for a short but worthwhile time. For example, I did 2 European weekend ski trips with oddball back-tracking routings and lots of extra miles, on mistake fares that only had tax/fees but no base fare. About 12K EQM (and more RDM from elite bonuses) plus a chance to spend a couple of days in Davos or Kitzbuehel. For me, these turn into trips I wouldn't have otherwise made, at least at that time or for that short duration, but have intrinsic value beyond just the miles.
  2. The "let me throw in more segements" semi-MR where you're going somewhere anyhow, but the routing rules allow you to add more segments, or a much longer routing, for little or no fare/fee increase, and you have the time. I've done a number of DEN-BOS or DEN-RDU trips backhauling through PHX on US (or PHX and CLT) for *A miles (to UA for me), or through SLC and ATL on DL for SkyTeam (NW for me) EQMs and RDMs.
  3. The "status insurance" MR - Where you see a fare cheap enough for the EQM CPM that it makes sense to kill a day or two (with a hotel that goes towards hotel status if need to overnight) just in case you have to cancel your last business trip of the year but still want/need the status renewal. I have to admit to a Kansas City meaningless pure MR (via SLC and ATL) for $98 to make sure I had enough NW EQM to ensure NW Gold a couple of years ago. Just in case my schedule changed, or irrops, or a day when I just wanted to fly straight home on a shorter routing, to have a few more EQM in my pocket.

As to using the Elite check-in lines (or the F/C line) - same as florin - If I need to talk to an agent at all, I want one familiar with the program benefits, upgrades, used to going the extra mile. Otherwise I'll just OLCI or kiosk check-in and use the bag drop if checking a bag.

Mwenenzi Jul 18, 2008 1:54 am

Originally Posted by iainb (Post 10053332)
I have recently finished a study of very frequent flyers (I took 50 flights in 3 months) but the journal editors who want to publish my work have a couple of issues that need clarified. I have some ideas of my own but would like to hear yours.

Was your research in Au or somewhere esle ?
FFlying is Au is vastly different from the USA. Here we just do not the options like in post 4 2. above of more segments - miles for the same or a liitle extra money. Likewise upgrades in Au depend on the computer program & your status, not an agent.

tom911 Jul 18, 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 10053460)
1) MRs. The very definition of a MR is flying to acquire miles in order to attain or maintain some Elite status. I have a hard time imagining OTHER reasons beyond that.

I'm not sure I agree with that definition. I've done mileage runs when I've already surpassed my 100,000 miles needed to requalify, so those trips aren't needed for elite status. I use a lot of my miles for One World or international awards, and they can be costly. Just this year I've already burned over 300,000 miles, and I have to rebuild those. If the right mileage run comes along at a good price, I'll buy tickets just to build up the miles for future trips, even if I've already requalified for the next year.

marais Jul 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Mileage runs. Does anyone have stories not only about going on a mileage run but could also explain the reasons for doing them that go beyond the perks that come with keeping/upgrading tier status.

Naturally I go on MRs to preserve status perks. But I also enjoy flying. I find longer MR itins very relaxing. With some noise-cancelling headphones, it's quiet. I can pop open a good book and relax. The occasional turbulence is both thrilling and soothing. I love the people-watching and planespotting in airports, and the "solitude in a crowd" sensation in the air. Especially on an MR, I enjoy the pleasure of, instead of when on business travel, being able to fly wherever I want and to receive a bonus for it (i.e. miles, increased status and the resultant perks).

---Using FF check in lines when Y class queue is shorter. In a couple of airports, (LHR and GLA) I saw travellers walk past much shorter Y class check-in to use FF check-in for flights with no F or J class. Could anyone suggest why they might do this?
They might because they have an issue that an experienced agent would be able to resolve, or a complicated itin, and usually the agents at FF/F check-in are more experienced. Though I rarely go to that queue...OLCI and kiosk are much more convenient, even for a seat in F.

Efrem Jul 18, 2008 10:19 pm

While most of my mileage runs have been to reach a status level, in the summer of 2000 the then-new oneWorld alliance had a promotion whereby one could earn 100,000 AA miles (or their equivalent on other oneWorld members) for flying to all six continents on oneWorld within a 90-day period. Since I had the time (not much, actually, since I already had a business trip planned to Europe, could reach Morocco easily from there on the return weekend, and getting to South America from the States isn't difficult) and enough advance notice to find low fares, it was extremely cost-effective. Besides that, it was fun: I got to see some of Morocco, some of Santiago (Chile), and it was my first visit to your country - to which I've returned several times since, thee times to your city and most recently (though not to Sydney) this past May.

I usually use the shorter check-in line, whichever it is, unless they're in different areas so I can't see both before choosing. At most airports, there are more Y than J or F agents, so that queue tends to move faster as well. One exception is checking in for UA at BOS on a weekday morning. One agent who works the F counter there is worth waiting for no matter how much shorter the Y queue is! (An occasional flyer probably wouldn't know that.)

cordelli Jul 18, 2008 10:22 pm

I'll do a "mileage run" if the fare is really good or there's another incentive, like double status miles earlier this year to a place I probably wouldn't have gone otherwise. For me that was Rome and Alaska this year. If there wasn't a miles aspect to those, I wouldn't have gone. I don't usually just fly out and back, but will spend some time someplace, even if it's a day or two.

Lines - I almost guarantee you no matter where the elite line is, it will move faster then the regular line. If it's security you aren't behind ma and pa kettle taking out their sixteen pocket knives (this one too, it's just a little one?). If it's a ticket or check in line, a good amount of people know the people who check in at the elite desk, you hope for the upgrades, you know they know you, and you have a very good idea the person in front of you has done this before and has his ID and the rest in his hand. None of that is a given in the regular line.

VonS Jul 19, 2008 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=iainb;10053332]My name is Iain Black and I am an academic at an Australian University. I have recently finished a study of very frequent flyers (I took 50 flights in 3 months) but the journal editors who want to publish my work have a couple of issues that need clarified. I have some ideas of my own but would like to hear yours.

QUOTE]

The elite line generally moves faster due to the passengers being better prepared regarding passports, boarding passes, etc.

canadianpilgrim Jul 19, 2008 6:29 pm

My name is Iain Black and I am an academic at an Australian University. I have recently finished a study of very frequent flyers (I took 50 flights in 3 months) ......so you can see this is genuine academic research!

Do you need a research assistant?:D

BTW Where does one apply for the research grant?;)

iainb Jul 19, 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 10053532)
Was your research in Au or somewhere esle ?
FFlying is Au is vastly different from the USA. Here we just do not the options like in post 4 2. above of more segments - miles for the same or a liitle extra money. Likewise upgrades in Au depend on the computer program & your status, not an agent.

I started the travel in Australia but then routed around the world as the cheapest way of getting in as many flights as possible.

Regarding the differences between Aus and US, are you saying that in the US there is a chance to talk your way to an upgrade whereas in Aus the computer dictates these things only?

iainb Jul 19, 2008 10:09 pm

1) MRs. The very definition of a MR is flying to acquire miles in order to attain or maintain some Elite status. I have a hard time imagining OTHER reasons beyond that. There are other reasons why people "fly for the sake of flying" (so to speak), such as being on an inaugural flight of some sort or the last flight on a particular type of plane, but these do not qualify as mileage runs.

2) Using Elite lanes. (I'm assuming you are talking about Elite check-in lines, not security lines, becasue that's a different story.) A lot of people use Elite lanes because it's a confirmation of their status. They don't want to mix with the peasants. It's usually the same people you see in the boarding area with their FF card out doing anything in their power to get noticed as an Elite. They'd wear FF t-shirts if they could to make sure people KNOW. I've even seen some showing off their older (expired) FF card.

I generally don't go to an Elite check-in line if the "regular" line is shorter, but I admit that I have done it on a couple of occasions. You usually get better treatement form the Elite staff; more improtantly they are more knowledgeable. If I'm trying to score an upgrade or a bump, I'll go to the Elite line because the non-Elite staff is likely clueless. (I've gotten many blank stares from agents when I asked or told them about stuff that I knew and that they should have known.) Anytime I try to do something out of the ordinary (e.g. fly A-B-C and only check a bag to B instead of my final destination) I go to the Elite check-in line.

I agree with thegeneral: on rare occasions the regular line is only marginally shorter. Elites being more experienced travelers, the elite line can actually be faster.

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 10053395)
To both questions, some people do like the attention that each bring. Some people do MR's to get status to make the rest of the travel easier and to get some perks. To others, their identity is tied closely to being a frequent flyer. There's a reason why they list all of the programs they're registered with in their signature.

In terms of using the line, the elite queue tends to go faster than the regular line in terms of more agents calling people over. There's also a matter of people who want that entitlement and sense of self-worth it brings. Sometimes, being in the elite line takes more because you get the people who walk up and buy tickets to odd far away places.

Originally Posted by MarkXS (Post 10053500)
Keep in mind there are some variants of the MR, which I could call:
  1. The "Fare looks great, lots of miles, I think I'll do a mini-vacation". This tends to use mistake fares to rack up miles but also go somewhere of interest, usually for a short but worthwhile time. For example, I did 2 European weekend ski trips with oddball back-tracking routings and lots of extra miles, on mistake fares that only had tax/fees but no base fare. About 12K EQM (and more RDM from elite bonuses) plus a chance to spend a couple of days in Davos or Kitzbuehel. For me, these turn into trips I wouldn't have otherwise made, at least at that time or for that short duration, but have intrinsic value beyond just the miles.
  2. The "let me throw in more segements" semi-MR where you're going somewhere anyhow, but the routing rules allow you to add more segments, or a much longer routing, for little or no fare/fee increase, and you have the time. I've done a number of DEN-BOS or DEN-RDU trips backhauling through PHX on US (or PHX and CLT) for *A miles (to UA for me), or through SLC and ATL on DL for SkyTeam (NW for me) EQMs and RDMs.
  3. The "status insurance" MR - Where you see a fare cheap enough for the EQM CPM that it makes sense to kill a day or two (with a hotel that goes towards hotel status if need to overnight) just in case you have to cancel your last business trip of the year but still want/need the status renewal. I have to admit to a Kansas City meaningless pure MR (via SLC and ATL) for $98 to make sure I had enough NW EQM to ensure NW Gold a couple of years ago. Just in case my schedule changed, or irrops, or a day when I just wanted to fly straight home on a shorter routing, to have a few more EQM in my pocket.

As to using the Elite check-in lines (or the F/C line) - same as florin - If I need to talk to an agent at all, I want one familiar with the program benefits, upgrades, used to going the extra mile. Otherwise I'll just OLCI or kiosk check-in and use the bag drop if checking a bag.

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 10058322)
I'll do a "mileage run" if the fare is really good or there's another incentive, like double status miles earlier this year to a place I probably wouldn't have gone otherwise. For me that was Rome and Alaska this year. If there wasn't a miles aspect to those, I wouldn't have gone. I don't usually just fly out and back, but will spend some time someplace, even if it's a day or two.

Lines - I almost guarantee you no matter where the elite line is, it will move faster then the regular line. If it's security you aren't behind ma and pa kettle taking out their sixteen pocket knives (this one too, it's just a little one?). If it's a ticket or check in line, a good amount of people know the people who check in at the elite desk, you hope for the upgrades, you know they know you, and you have a very good idea the person in front of you has done this before and has his ID and the rest in his hand. None of that is a given in the regular line.

Thanks to you all for giving such detailed and wide range of reasons for the MR and using the queues. It seems like with the queues, this is mainly a knowledge thing, you as experienced flyers have inside knowledge here that it is going to work better if you take the elite line.

As for MR and status, if I'm summarizing this right, you are using them to build miles and retain the perks, and as thegeneral points out there is an element of preserving self worth in it. The first two reasons I think I've got a handle on, but would be fascinated to learn more about what preserving that platinum card means to you symbolically. What does the card represent to you?

iainb Jul 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Many thanks for that example. Using the expired card reminds me of one flight to Italy where a guy lifted up his bag, turned him CX gold card over to show what it meant and then walked through J to the back. It struck me he wanted all the folk up front to know he was a FF and not like the rest of the folk at the back!

tom911 Jul 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I think the reality, though, is that it's very infrequent to have to break out the membership card. I use mine when accessing first class partner lounges outside the U.S. when flying on coach or business award tickets, but it doesn't really have any value within the U.S. If I check in with a cheap domestic ticket in the first class line, the agent is going to see the information in my reservation and know I'm entitled to use that line. I've never been asked to break it out and present it as proof.

I can use it for checking in at a kiosk, but I could just as well type my reservation number in and be able to check in, or use my Admiral's Club card to check in.

The card itself doesn't mean anything to me. The perks with status though are a whole different issue. I've burned over 300,000 miles this year, so I need to accumulate my miles with the 100% bonus, which you only get after a certain tier.