Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:20 am

Last summer, DL, LGW-ATL. The newspapers that were being passed out to business passengers were a little damp from the rain. Nothing major, just got wet while being loaded onto the plane. A "gentleman" was very irate because the FA refused to put his paper in the oven to dry.

Also, not really something that is said but done. A LOT!! Why do people think it's a good idea to go to the lav (a public restroom) barefoot or worse, in sock feet? The socks will just soak up whatever is on the floor and then their feet just marinade in it until they bathe. What other public restroom is this done? Only on airplanes.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
This is a little OT, but how about stupid things that travel journalists say? I was just reading an article by Stuart Emmrich, "36 Hours in Bangkok" in the NY Times. He writes about having drinks at sunset at the Oriental Hotel on the Chao Phraya River and says "Have a Singapore Sling - if not here, then where?"

Hhm - How about Singapore, at the Raffles Hotel maybe?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I once heard a kid, yelling: "I don't wanna go to France!!"

This happened in immigration line in Orlando, and the kid had just flown in from UK on Virgin
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by martinfoss
I once heard a kid, yelling: "I don't wanna go to France!!"

This happened in immigration line in Orlando, and the kid had just flown in from UK on Virgin
Um, Epcot Center's France, maybe?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:54 am

Any foreign national to an Immigration Officer: "It's none of your business why I'm coming to your country."

While looking directly at a large monitor displaying baggage carousel assignments: "Where do I pick up my bags?"

Any Nexus member being directed for secondary inspection: "But I have Nexus."
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:06 am

Several years ago, we were on a prop job in Miami flying to somewhere in the Caribbean. I was a little worked up because they kept trying to charge the battery and it wasn't holding. So then they would turn off our lights and AC and it was really hot and uncomfortable. It wasn't clear if we were ever going to get off the ground. I asked my husband - rather sarcastically - if he thought the plane was even capable of flying us to our destination. There was a girl of about 16 who stopped me dead in my tracks by saying that it was ok, if we went down the water was soft! She was absolutely serious!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) "Tom Bradley International Terminal is a beautiful terminal!"
2) "Why do we need to fill out an immigration/customs form?"

*sigh*
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
1) "Tom Bradley International Terminal is a beautiful terminal!"
2) "Why do we need to fill out an immigration/customs form?"

*sigh*
Just seeing TBIT written gives me the jitters. I always arrive at a remote gate right after 17 744s disgorge their passengers into that hellhole.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

On a tour bus, there were signs that read, "Sydney, NSW." The person next to me, "What does 'NSW' stand for?" "New South Wales." "New South Wales? Why doesn't the sign say, 'Sydney, Australia'?" "Probably people already know they are in Australia." It was hard for me to hold sarcasm.

David
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello FTers,

On a tour bus, there were signs that read, "Sydney, NSW." The person next to me, "What does 'NSW' stand for?" "New South Wales." "New South Wales? Why doesn't the sign say, 'Sydney, Australia'?" "Probably people already know they are in Australia." It was hard for me to hold sarcasm.

David
I think you showed admirable restraint.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:34 pm

Traveling with a few colleagues on a train in Germany, one woke up from a nap and sleepily asked what town we were in as we pulled into a station. I looked out the window and read the name of the stop. Another colleague disagreed, though, saying "I'm pretty sure we're in Abfall."

I pointed out to her that the "Abfall" sign she was reading, being on a garbage can, probably meant "garbage."
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Guy in front of me for security at DCA sets off the metal detector; TSA agent reminds him to take everything out of his pocket. Guy puts keys and some-such in the little tray, walks thru again, beeps again, agent asks if he's sure he has everything out of his pocket. Guy replies, "Well I have some change, but it's Canadian change so that shouldn't set the alarm off!"
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by brendog
My recent favourite: "Southwest has such great service!!!"
What's really funny, is that they do. Compared to legacies.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 am
KTW

"She won't be able to drive that scooter in the plane" - overheard unknown

"Are you sure you need to take that thing on the plane" (possible joke) - GA of DL@PBI

"She doesn't look disabled" - too many times to count.

"I am surprised they let that thing in here. I for 1 do not want to smell the gas fumes" - Lady@LAX commenting on my wife's scooter - Man nearby looks at his wife and says "Honey did you fart".

"You can brings those on the plane?" - Too many times to count

Employees and PAX commenting on how they had no clue the disabled and attendant etc...have seat pick - Too many times to count.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: Various memberships
You've all probably heard a variation on this one and it may not even have happened but it is one of those that you just want to be true:

An award should go to the gate agent in Denver for being smart and funny, and making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo.

During the final days at the old Stapleton airport, a crowded flight was cancelled.

A single agent was rebooking a long line of inconvenienced travelers. Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS." The agent replied, "I'm sorry sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out." The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "Do you have any idea who I am?"

Without hesitating, the gate agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. "May I have your attention please?" she began, her voice bellowing throughout the terminal. "We have a passenger here at the gate WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to the gate."

With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the agent, gritted his teeth and swore "F### you."

Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to stand in line for that, too."

The man retreated as the people in the terminal applauded loudly. Although the flight was cancelled and people were late, they were no longer angry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.