Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Complaints from Fellow Pax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Starving Cats

Was flying GEG-SEA with a connecting flight to JFK on UA when a big snowstorm was creating chaos, causing most flights to be cancelled.

The only flight not being cancelled was the GEG-SFO flight, so went over to that gate and waited in line. Gate agent was frantically working trying to get everything sorted out. Gate agent was telling the PAX that the flight was full, but thought I might make standby as a PE. Got up to gate agent and he promptly gave me a boarding pass.

Upon which the guy who had been in front of me turned to me and started to scream at me and tell me what he thought of me and the mother who gave birth to me and what he was going to do to me. That prompted another woman to turn to me and accuse me that I would be starving her cat because she couldn't get home to feed it.

Felt bad for the cat lady, but I was really happy to be able to escape into the plane even in Y class before the villagers burned me at the stake.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Originally Posted by mangokitty92262
Overnight flight from LAX to FLL. A couple of hours into the flight, most people are sleeping or at least very quiet. Out of nowhere, a ladies voice yells, "Shut that ***king bird up or I'm gonna kill it!". Everyone looks at her. Shes in the middle of the plane in an aisle seat and is looking at the ceiling. The FA's rush over to assist her. After much pandemonium, turns out someone had a small bird in their carryon and had put the carryon in the overhead above the woman. Apparently it was chirping. The FA's took the bag to the back and the owner was met at the gate. Don't know what happened at that point.

A strange but valid complaint. The delivery of the complaint was too much though.
Hilarious, I would have been in fits of laughter.
I would have initially assumed some form of mental instability was the cause for this one...
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:03 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Detroit to Phoenix on NWA maybe 5 years ago....I'm seated on the aisle about 2/3 of the way back in coach (yuck). I reach my seat to find a couple already seated in the middle and window...no big deal. However; there was a bag under the seat in front of me...no bags under the seats in front of them. Turns out they'd brought their dog on board and placed the carrier under the seat in front of me. When I told them politely that they would have to move it, the woman quite indignantly said to me "but we were here first". Couldn't reason with her...nothing. Unfortunately had to get the FA involved...and they claimed they couldn't put the dog under the seats in front of them because then THEY wouldn't have any leg room. The FA told them that either the dog was moving under one of the seats in front of them, or they were all moving off the plane. Fido moved, we took off, but the woman persisted in talking quite loudly throughout the flight about how "mean" I was.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM
You know... every time I hear about idiots like this, I want to be surprised...
but the sad truth is that there are just people out there who defy all logic, common sense and decency to be absolute .........s.

Keep up the good stories. ^ I'm really enjoying the thread.

Originally Posted by Taz
Detroit to Phoenix on NWA maybe 5 years ago....I'm seated on the aisle about 2/3 of the way back in coach (yuck). I reach my seat to find a couple already seated in the middle and window...no big deal. However; there was a bag under the seat in front of me...no bags under the seats in front of them. Turns out they'd brought their dog on board and placed the carrier under the seat in front of me. When I told them politely that they would have to move it, the woman quite indignantly said to me "but we were here first". Couldn't reason with her...nothing. Unfortunately had to get the FA involved...and they claimed they couldn't put the dog under the seats in front of them because then THEY wouldn't have any leg room. The FA told them that either the dog was moving under one of the seats in front of them, or they were all moving off the plane. Fido moved, we took off, but the woman persisted in talking quite loudly throughout the flight about how "mean" I was.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:05 am

I do have to express my appreciation to my seat mates and crew for the flights that I just completed on 6/6.

DCA/ORD-fell asleep and leaned into the aisle. Apparently the flight attendant had to "tip" me back so they could complete drink service.

ORD/LAX -fell asleep and leaned on both of my row mates (I was stuck in middle).

I'm actually pretty embarrassed about that last one.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: NWA WorldPerks SE, HiltonHHonors Blue
A few years ago, I was flying to Seattle, and my connecting flight was in DEN. There were several flight cancellations including my connecting flight(I think this may have been around the time of a pilot strike for UA), and there were a ton of us stranded at DIA. I was there for probably 10 hours.

I had gotten in the massive line at the gate to see if they could get me on standby for one of the flights that was not cancelled, and there was a lady standing off to the side of the line, in deep conversation on her cell phone. The line started moving, and she didn't move. I tried to ask her if she was in line, but she was too deep in conversation to answer me. I didn't want to cut in front of her, but eventually, the line had moved so much that she had probably 40 feet between her and the next person, so I reasoned that she couldn't possibly be in line. I tried to ask her again, but she held up her hand as she hurriedly chattered into her phone, clearly not wanting to be disturbed. She still didn't move, and the line was still moving forward. By now there were other people behind me, asking ME if I was in line or not, and telling me that if so, I should keep moving. I sighed and walked to where the line appeared to end, which by now was *nowhere near* where she was standing. The other people behind me followed. A minute later, she stomps up to me and angrily demands "How on earth did YOU manage to get in front of me when I was here first?!" I told her it wasn't obvious that she was in line, and that if she wanted to claim her "rightful" place in front of me, then she should by all means do it, but maybe she should stand IN the line like everyone else is expected to. She grumbled something under her breath, and then went and stood somewhere else in the line.

On that same trip, after being stranded at DIA for 10 hours, and finally getting standby on a redeye flight to Seattle, I was crammed into a middle seat in coach. After takeoff, I reclined my seat and fell asleep. Minutes later, I was violently shaken awake by an angry passenger behind me asking me to kindly not recline my seat, as he was trying to enjoy the beverage and snack service. Yes, how rude of me to recline my seat the whole two inches on a redeye flight after being stranded for many hours in the airport. I hope he enjoyed the extra two inches of snacktime room. I never did get back to sleep.

What is WRONG with people?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Taker Park
I do have to express my appreciation to my seat mates and crew for the flights that I just completed on 6/6.

DCA/ORD-fell asleep and leaned into the aisle. Apparently the flight attendant had to "tip" me back so they could complete drink service.

ORD/LAX -fell asleep and leaned on both of my row mates (I was stuck in middle).

I'm actually pretty embarrassed about that last one.
I fall asleep on flights all the time, I swear I'm like a baby in a car seat, lol! I used to wonder what I did while asleep (snore, drool, lean??!!! OMG! lol) but so far, I think it's gone ok. Thankfully it's easier to sleep well within the confines of your own seat in F.

Love this thread btw. ^
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Strange times in TSA line

Strangest situations I've seen are in the security screening. Few months ago in a long line, TSA agent makes the liquid announcement. A late 20-ish guy behind me exclaims out loud "aw man, no liquids?!" and opens a large rollaboard and I see his bag is filled with nothing but cans of soda! No clothing, no toilitries, no reading materials.....about a case of cans of soda.

Another time, about a year ago, I rather moronically left my brain at home and packed a very special bottle of alcohol in my carry-on bag. At security, a TSA agent pulls it out of my bag and in a friendly manner compliments me on my taste but says he has to confiscate it. I open the bottle, hand it back to him, and tell him he is now welcome to dispose of it. The guy got incredibly angry and tells me in a raised voice I was acting suspiciously and "defying TSA rules" and would need to call for further screening! The agent next to him told him to chill out and let it go. I think the TSA agent simply wanted the bottle and was enraged that I had ruined it by opening it.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:33 pm

Other strange TSA stories

Twice I've returned jewelry to women that were in front of me in the security line. Once, I returned a pair of gold earings to a woman. She had been in front of me in the line, and after I cleared I jogged about 50 feet to catch up to her. She was so pleased she offered to buy me a drink. Another time, similiar situation involving a bracelet with diamonds. I chase down the woman and flash a big smile and say "you might want this back." She ripped in from my hands saying "give that back" and turned away eyeing me suspiciously. I would still help anyone despite the risk of a mean response.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:41 pm

Noise canceling headphones

I love my noise canceling headphones. Sitting back in Y on an ORD-LAX a couple months ago, the movie comes on and I am listening with my JVC brand noise-canceling headphones. I notice that a flight attendant and a female passenger from a few seats over to my left are having an animated discussion and female pax is pointing (jabbing her finger in my direction) at me. A while later I ask pax next to me what was happening and he explained that the female was angry that she had to listen to the movie on the crappy free headphones provided by UA while I was listening with nicer JVC brand noise-canceling headphones. Not sure what her point was.....
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dole
Strangest situations I've seen are in the security screening. Few months ago in a long line, TSA agent makes the liquid announcement. A late 20-ish guy behind me exclaims out loud "aw man, no liquids?!" and opens a large rollaboard and I see his bag is filled with nothing but cans of soda! No clothing, no toilitries, no reading materials.....about a case of cans of soda.

Another time, about a year ago, I rather moronically left my brain at home and packed a very special bottle of alcohol in my carry-on bag. At security, a TSA agent pulls it out of my bag and in a friendly manner compliments me on my taste but says he has to confiscate it. I open the bottle, hand it back to him, and tell him he is now welcome to dispose of it. The guy got incredibly angry and tells me in a raised voice I was acting suspiciously and "defying TSA rules" and would need to call for further screening! The agent next to him told him to chill out and let it go. I think the TSA agent simply wanted the bottle and was enraged that I had ruined it by opening it.
First I want to know what kind of alcohol it was, then I want to know if you took a swig out of it as well! lol
As for the soda, I know there are some kinds of soda only available in certain areas of the country, perhaps it was a special one he was taking along. There's even been threads here at FT about "special" regional sodas. (around here we love a local one called SKI)
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, NW SE
I was once told I was selfish and rude when I insisted on taking my ticketed seat (aisle, exit row) instead of giving it to the tall guy who was sitting in it when I arrived... he wanted me to take his middle seat in the back. Man, I'm 5'9", and I want my seat!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by chamonix
First I want to know what kind of alcohol it was, then I want to know if you took a swig out of it as well! lol
It was a bottle of Rum (not Cuban) that can't be bought in USA.

Originally Posted by chamonix
As for the soda, I know there are some kinds of soda only available in certain areas of the country, perhaps it was a special one he was taking along. There's even been threads here at FT about "special" regional sodas. (around here we love a local one called SKI)
I looked at them fairly close enough as guy was right behind me. It was standard Pepsi as far as I could tell. Also, this was at STL.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:37 pm

STL is SKI country, but the locally bottled ones don't look anything like Pepsi cans.

There is a type of SKI made in KY that isn't the same as the local STL area stuff--just mentioning this in case anyone else sees it or looks it up online, etc. Only the local STL stuff in bottles is the real SKI. ^
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by aztimm
Sometimes I'll be watching a movie/show/podcast, etc, and I'll catch the person in the seat next to mine watching.

I was on an EK flight JFK-DXB a few months ago and was seated in Y. An expat fellow on his way home to Dhaka was seated next to me. I was watching Mr. Beans Holiday on AVOD and he was watching my screen. I felt as if I was seated next to Bean himslef because whenever anything funny happened on screen, he would LOL, slap my shoulder, put his hand out for a low five, imitate Bean, etc.

I offered to show him how to use AVOD so that he could watch the movie on his own screen. He was very excited. A few minutes after sorting him out, I noticed that he was still watching my screen (he LOL'd and slapped my shoulder again). I had previously watched the end of the movie so I switched over to something else and that's when all hell broke loose. My neighbor was pi$$#d and began protesting in his native tongue and broken English. I somehow persuaded him to watch his own screen but I had shattered the sense of commaraderie he felt with me and he soon gave up watching it and went to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.