Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by htb
It's not about what had really happened but to what it will be construed to.
Well, in this case, the OP is a woman... so "he" does not exist. To the rest of the scenario: Sure, it could happen, but not everyone is so quick to play the sexual harassment card.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:26 pm

Is 30 minutes sufficient? Or does it depend on whether the toilets are backing up?

Originally Posted by bsb21
30 mins. in an airport bathroom!

Cruel, but well deserved!

lol
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by brendog
If the aforementioned unpleasant woman would have made such a request of me, I would have responded by . . . breaking wind loudly.
You can perform this feat on command? That is quite impressive. I wish that I could do the same to people who insist on demonstrating their objectionable behavior to myself and to other members of the unsuspecting public.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I think making the trying-to-force-it face and then responding to the puzzled look or inquiry with "I'm trying to fart in your general direction!" would be equally offensive and efficient.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:49 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cepheid
Well, in this case, the OP is a woman... so "he" does not exist. To the rest of the scenario: Sure, it could happen, but not everyone is so quick to play the sexual harassment card.
My apologies -- the gender thing had slipped my attention. Of course not everyone is quick to play this game, one person to do so is enough to ruin the rest of your life.

HTB.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:08 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
When I am sitting at the window, I decide, if the window shade is up or down.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:45 am

KNRG: That made me laugh so hard I'm crying!^
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by szg
When I am sitting at the window, I decide, if the window shade is up or down.

Not really - I've had numerous FA's ask me to close it during the return flight from Europe so others can sleep which I have no problem with. However, if there is something good to see, I'll be watching it!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by KNRG
I think making the trying-to-force-it face and then responding to the puzzled look or inquiry with "I'm trying to fart in your general direction!" would be equally offensive and efficient.
I think "making the TTFIF face" is the best course of action here.
I suspect working on an actual "TTFIF" could have an unpleasant outcome.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:22 pm

Programs: United
Passive-Aggressive is the way to go.

I usually have window seats on United. The movie came on. I lowered my shade halfway. (The reading lights are not that great and I liked the sunlight.) Some old lady sitting in the window seat at the other end of the aisle starts yelling at me to close my shade. I ignore her. She starts yelling how rude I am to keep my shade open. So I look at her and open my shade all the way.

The lady is fuming and calls the FA. The FA asks me to lower the shade. I say I'm looking out the window. The FA says ok and walks away.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Not really - I've had numerous FA's ask me to close it during the return flight from Europe so others can sleep which I have no problem with. However, if there is something good to see, I'll be watching it!
Exactly, except on my last BRU flight on UA we were in the air maybe 10 minutes when I was asked to lower the shade. Sorry, but this is a daytime flight and no one has even eaten yet let alone try to sleep. Besides, isn't this why they pass out eye shades?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:13 pm

Only once had a person in the aisle seat ask me to draw the shade - it was an FAM who was wearing a leather coat. Even with the shade drawn he was still hot and uncomfortable most of the flight, but obviously unable to remove his coat.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: Asiana Airlines(Silver) Visa, Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns, Hiliton HHonors Blue
Good Read, Mabey they should send her to Singapore and learn how to use the cane better, lol. anyways, I prefer to have it up unless the sun is in my eyes but I would always be polite to me row-mates. If were all cramed onto a plan for so many hours. Might as well get along.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Here I thought this was a thread about how about 1/3 of FAs will DEMAND that the window shade be up for takeoff & landing... and 2/3 do not. The ones who do demand shades-up claim its an FAA regulation. Is there any such regulation? Its hard to imagine an FAA regulation having such hap-hazzard compliance.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:05 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Window shade

This woman, number one, should have been seated next to the window if she uses a cane. That way, in an evac, her seatmates can get out of their seats quickly and then, in theory, help her to evac. Number two, her cane, according to regs, MUST be stored in the OHB for flight and obv. not used to assault you. Number three, it IS a reg to keep shades (def. in exit rows but I would prefer ALL shades) open for takeoff and landing. This is to allow immediate assessment in an evac. Yes, the OP should have gotten her pillow and blanket back. "I see you have my pillow and blanket," should have been enough. I def. think the OP should have dinged that FA RIGHT AWAY, expressed the notion that her seatmate was obviously very unhappy and asked for a resolution. And yes, I too am eager to hear the revenge story. BTW, the window belongs to the window seat sitter, but obv. you will want to open for t/o and landing or, if it makes you no difference, ask and/or do as others near you wish. It's nice for it to be closed during the movie, for example. Be nice, but don't let others bully you.

Last edited by SCToni; Aug 11, 2008 at 11:07 am Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.