Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Does there have to be a rule for everything?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Actually it just as effective and annoying if you "try" to speak in English.

Q: Open the window shade right now.
A: Oven? You like meecro-wave?

followed by

"My Inglees good?"

Not sure if you'd remember to keep this up when talking to FA's.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by PBQ
That's when knowing how to say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak English" in some very obscure language comes in handy.

Or you could say it in english.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by alanh
That's the first time I've heard of someone opening the shade -- the usual complaint is they want it closed (for sleeping, movie watching, or just glare).
I've also never run into anyone who wanted the window shade up. I'm big on enjoying the view, but try to be courteous if there's a severe glare or direct sunlight on a nearby passenger.

But I hit my limit on a FRA - SFO flight a while back when some guy in the middle section aisle seat (business section), 3 rows in front of me, turned and loudly TOLD me to lower the shade as it was disturbing his viewing of "Aeon Flux". Puhleez. At the time we were flying over the icecap of Greenland, and the mountains and the western coast had just come into view. Fantastic sight and I sure didn't let Mr Flux ruin it for me.

As for the FAs' requesting the shade be lowered ... if I really want it up, like we're NOT in the clouds or over the middle of the some ocean, a brief admission of my slight case of "claustrophobia" usually ends the issue.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Does there have to be a rule for everything?
Yes... it's called the Golden Rule: common courtesy. Window-seaters should be mindful of the opinions of their rowmates, but at the same time, the rowmates should be mindful that the window-seater is most affected by the window. The OP's rowmate very clearly violated the rule of common courtesy.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:49 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PBQ
That's when knowing how to say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak English" in some very obscure language comes in handy.

Just don't do that if you're sitting in an exit row.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:03 am

You m

Last edited by Tokyorich; Jun 5, 2008 at 8:11 am Reason: Dup
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
Her husband said that she sometimes might come across as mean spirited but had a really good heart...
... and a killer right hook.

Strange to tell - A friend of mine had his arm broken by a drunken yob who knocked him over in the street. The yob's friend's tried to dissuade my pal from calling the police because the yob has "... actually got a really good heart."

If someone deliberately hits me with a cane - I don't care if her heart is golden and her pacemaker is platinum. The FA will hear about it.... "at once."

Last edited by jib71; Jun 5, 2008 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Tokyorich
You missed a fantastic opportunity. On United canes are supposed to be placed in the overhead bin. Im not sure if this is meant to protect other passengers from being whacked by the cane.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:14 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jib71
If someone deliberately hits me with a cane - I don't care if her heart is golden and her pacemaker is platinum. The FA will hear about it.... "at once."
And in this particular circumstance risk a charge for sexual harrassment? I think the poster handled this just fine.

HTB.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by htb
And in this particular circumstance risk a charge for sexual harrassment? I think the poster handled this just fine.
Say what? The middle seat was empty, which means the OP's leg didn't infringe on anyone's space. Where else do you see "sexual harassment" in this scenario?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jib71
... and a killer right hook.

Strange to tell - A friend of mine had his arm broken by a drunken yob who knocked him over in the street. The yob's friend's tried to dissuade my pal from calling the police because the yob has "... actually got a really good heart."

So you agree that we are peacekeepers and police all at the same time?

Last edited by skylady; Jun 6, 2008 at 6:02 am Reason: sp
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by skylady
So you agree that we are peacekeepers and police all at the same time?
as well as an Actor, babysitter, bartender, busboy, conierge, conversationalist, counselor, dietition, dispatcher, firefighter, gourmet cook, juggler, lifeguard, mind reader, mechanic, model, negotiator, nurse, plumber, porter, psychiatrist, referee, safety inspector, sanitary engineer, security guard, tour guide, travel consultant and usher - all at the same time
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
This is off topic for the window shade, but on topic for sitting next to an unpleasant person.

The airlines (or just one, as I will choose that one) need to implement a rating system like that on Ebay, where passengers rate their seatmates, either positive, negative or neutral. Then when allowing customers to select their seats, the section where they are allowed to choose a seat will be determined by their feedback score.

People with the highest ratings can sit up front with other people who are desireable to sit beside. People who are slightly annoying will no doubt be consigned to the middle. And the truly unpleasant, the seat thieves, the unwashed, those who want to take up more than one seat, can all keep each other company in the back of the plane.

It would make going to the bathroom fun, just to watch all the bickering over armrests, windowshades, foot space and the like.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:20 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cepheid
Say what? The middle seat was empty, which means the OP's leg didn't infringe on anyone's space. Where else do you see "sexual harassment" in this scenario?
"Poster was repeatedly trying to make bodily contact with the old fragile lady who had to defend herself with a cane to avoid worse from happening."

"I was really frightened. It was the most awful experience in my life. I thought he would abuse me right there in my seat. I was too shocked to talk to anyone and ask for help. I'm so glad I had my cane with me."

It's not about what had really happened but to what it will be construed to.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.