Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Who Decides If The Window Shade Is Up Or Down

Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
I have always assumed that the person sitting by the window made the choice to put the shade up or down...
You are right. Regulations require shades to be up during take off and landing: if there is a mishap, any emergency responders outside should not have their view blocked. Similarly, it is normal courtesy to have them down if a movie is being shown. At all other times, it the discretion of the passenger seated at the window.

whenever my foot crossed over to the middle seat she would hit my leg
United should give you some compensation per hit.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Suuure you would.
You want to get in a pissing match with me?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Chutzpah

On a recent UA flight, I had the window shade about 2/3 down at the start of the movie. Without any warning the middle seat occupant, a business traveler, leaned across and physically lowered it further, while turning on my reading light. I told him that I wanted to see the view from time to time, and edged it up to its former position. When we hit heavy clouds, I lowered it all the way. Near the end of the flight, my seatmate, less charged up, engaged in some light banter.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Oxb
There seems to be many of us waiting for the details. Please share them.
I couldn't find any reports of violence at the PHX baggage claim in the Phoenix newspapers, so either it wasn't that spectucular, or it was very subtle.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Revenge At Baggage Claim

I was curious to see just how disabled she was re her cane and walked very fast to catch up to her. I happened to know a UA employee who was in the area and went up and said hi, and gave him a short version of what had happened, he said in a rather loud voice, Point her out to me and I will
handle her, UA does not tolerate any form of physical abuse. She was listening to this and I loudly said "there she is, the lady in red"! She was with a gentleman (husband)? and without saying a word to him she hightailed it to the nearest ladies room.. After about 10 minutes she popped her head out the door. saw us and went back in, by this time her husband had caught up and asked if there was a problem, and had we seen his wife. He was told that she had struck me several times with her cane and it was policy to file a report to determine appropriate action. Her husband said that she sometimes might come across as mean spirited but had a really good heart! Yeah whatever. By this time she had been holed up for almost 30 minutes, we told her husband that there would be someone waiting for her at baggage claim and left..
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by brendog
The shade is the under the sole domain of the window seat occupier. As I am frequently that person, the shade stays up as I enjoy staring at nothing in particular out of the window before the Xanax kicks in and I conk out.

If the aforementioned unpleasant woman would have made such a request of me, I would have responded by staring blankly and breaking wind loudly.
I think that's the best revenge I've heard of yet!
oh, that's cruel...
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
If someone ever tells me to do anything "at once," the last thing I will do is what they said. If the light is blinding someone, if there is a movie, if the engine is on fire, I will lower a shade. Otherwise, whenever I am in the window seat (which is essentially never--not once in at least two years), I will keep it open.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:15 pm

Question

About a year ago on a Delta plane LAX-ATL I had a lady? sit behind me and physically raise my shade everytime I closed it to sleep. She knocked me on the shoulder too. I told the FL and they said she wouldn't be civil with them either and they just ignorred me
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I agree with everyone who said it's up to the FA first and the occupant of the window seat second. And I'm virtually certain that if I'm asked to "raise the shade at once" by a fellow pax, I'm gonna moooove as sloooowly as posssssible!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL GE
Bring a roll of duct tape and when someone starts the up and down game with you, tape it in the position you desire.

Duct tape fixes everything!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:40 pm

That's the first time I've heard of someone opening the shade -- the usual complaint is they want it closed (for sleeping, movie watching, or just glare).
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
I was curious to see just how disabled she was re her cane and walked very fast to catch up to her. I happened to know a UA employee who was in the area and went up and said hi, and gave him a short version of what had happened, he said in a rather loud voice, Point her out to me and I will handle her, UA does not tolerate any form of physical abuse. She was listening to this and I loudly said "there she is, the lady in red"! She was with a gentleman (husband)? and without saying a word to him she hightailed it to the nearest ladies room.. After about 10 minutes she popped her head out the door. saw us and went back in, by this time her husband had caught up and asked if there was a problem, and had we seen his wife. He was told that she had struck me several times with her cane and it was policy to file a report to determine appropriate action. Her husband said that she sometimes might come across as mean spirited but had a really good heart! Yeah whatever. By this time she had been holed up for almost 30 minutes, we told her husband that there would be someone waiting for her at baggage claim and left..
Nice story, but in the true FT spirit I still think UA should pay you compensation for each hit of the cane.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
30 mins. in an airport bathroom!

Cruel, but well deserved!

lol
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:40 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I agree with everyone who said it's up to the FA first and the occupant of the window seat second. And I'm virtually certain that if I'm asked to "raise the shade at once" by a fellow pax, I'm gonna moooove as sloooowly as posssssible!
That's when knowing how to say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak English" in some very obscure language comes in handy.

Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:21 pm

PBQ.. you're a genius...!!!

I know a guy from the Czech Republic... I'll ask him for a "phrase".... that'll do for a start.. too bad my Finnish friend went home.......that's a GREAT language for obfuscation.......^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.