Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Wanderers in Airport Lounges

Old May 29, 08, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 2.92+ MM, Hyatt Globalist

I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this particular creature.

I am presently in the DEN West RCC and there are three separate Mobile Phone Wanderers up and about. These creatures are known for their loud (read: annoying) mobile phone conversations held while walking around the RCC. Often the Wanderer will do small circular laps, while others roam the entire expanse of the RCC while holding their important conversations. It seems that pace/speed is directly correlated with volume. The faster they are moving, the louder they get.

Anyone else spot these creatures in the wild?
Old May 29, 08, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LMAO, love the new term, very funny! I know exactly the people you're talking about, and they're very annoying in deed. Although no one can beat the people that are on their phones in the "quiet room" at ORD, IMO.
Old May 29, 08, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I must admit I am occasionally guilty of being a "Mobile Phone Wanderer". I never yell, though!

I will make adjustments in my behavior!

Last edited by MatthewLAX; May 29, 08 at 9:40 am Reason: grammar
Old May 29, 08, 9:28 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I must admit I am occasionally guilty of being a "Mobile Phone Wanderer". I am never yell, though!

I will make adjustments in my behavior!
Haha, me too.

It was so embarassing, I had just boarded a VS flight at JFK, and the damn gate had such bad reception that I was sprinting from one end of the UC cabin to the other, down both aisles, trying to get this transaction complete (and yes, it had to be done before departure), whilst avoiding FAs to whom I looked like O-freaking-sama, and other passengers who were still boarding. Uch.
Old May 29, 08, 9:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Seen them in the bathroom too, don't get that one at all.

Does anybody really think the person on the other end doesn't know you are on the toilet? If not, they do when you flush.
Old May 29, 08, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
LMAO. This is really funny. My bandmate is a total MPW. I'm not sure if I can say he's done it in the RCC or not, but I've definitely seen him do it other places. I will say though that he's not a loud talker though so hopefully he's not as annoying.
Old May 29, 08, 9:44 am

Programs: DL GM/MM, UA Gold, AA GLD/1MM, Nat'l Exec, Marriott Gold, Vino Volo Reserve
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Does anybody really think the person on the other end doesn't know you are on the toilet? If not, they do when you flush.
i attempt to time my flushes with key moments in other people's conversations.
Old May 29, 08, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star

This is a pet peeve of mine. How can someone talk on the phone whilst pushing out a grumpy?! I make it a point to flush my toilet several times in the hopes that the seated MPW will hang the heck up!

**EDIT: Dang! Seat1A beat me to the flush!**

Last edited by LurkerNoMore; May 29, 08 at 9:57 am Reason: Editing Info.
Old May 29, 08, 9:57 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I agree ... MPWs are annoying as all get-up.

On a similar vein, I had to make a local call while at the IAD RCC (C17) last week so I thought I'd use the phones there since they're free (and I can avoid becoming a MPW).

Only ... most of them were gone and the ones that were there didn't work at all. I "wandered" around looking for a working phone for 10 minutes. What the heck?
Old May 29, 08, 10:03 am

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum

That's when they *6 their cellphone - or so you hope!
Old May 29, 08, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
I'm guilty Sorry about that.

My roommates cant stand me, because I walk around the entire place with a hooded sweatshirt on (hood up), bluetooth in ear, talking to myself.

Its my ADD I cant sit still
Old May 29, 08, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Well that's why I mute the speaker on my phone when I flush. This is possible on most BlackBerrys and smart phones and is an easy way to make your day more productive.
Old May 29, 08, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Hate them! Very inconsiderate.
Old May 29, 08, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My wandering is confined to the Seattle RCC where I have to walk around before making a call to find a spot where I can get a Nextel signal. Sometimes its directly behind the podium at the front doors, but seems to vary and sometimes I just give up and use Skype on my notebook. My conversations are quiet.
Old May 29, 08, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
One way to keep the person from speaking so loudly or to come to your area is to repeat his/her conversation on your phone call, as if you're giving away his corporate secrets.

As someone in the wireless business, I've come to realize that the volume of the person speaking on the phone appears to be directly proportional to how difficult a time they have hearing the person on the other end.

We're in the process of developing DSP code that will enhance the downlink audio based on how loud the person on the uplink speaks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: