Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Wanderers in Airport Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Phone Wanderers in Airport Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 11:56 am

Slightly OT, but I took a conference call from the bathroom once during a 30+ person call with my firm.

Timed my flush right when the partner was speaking...everyone went silent and the partner demanded to know who took his call from the bathroom. The secret will die with me!
Old May 29, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond , IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Reminds me of the Bud Light's 'Real Men of Genius"

Mr Really Loud Cell Phone Talker Guy

http://thefuntimesguide.com/audio/Bu...Talker_Guy.mp3
Old May 29, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by randomman
Slightly OT, but I took a conference call from the bathroom once during a 30+ person call with my firm.

Timed my flush right when the partner was speaking...everyone went silent and the partner demanded to know who took his call from the bathroom. The secret will die with me!
LMAO! great visual of Mr. Partner-full-of-himself getting all mad and demanding to know "who they hell had the balls to take attend my conference call in the head!"

FB
Old May 29, 2008, 12:48 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
A flush and a couple of well-timed grunts just makes my day
Old May 29, 2008, 1:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Hate them! Very inconsiderate.
+1.

I'm a "pacer," too, but realize that what's appropriate at home isn't necessarily appropriate elsewhere.

It used to be that peace and quiet was valued in and of itself. Now, every yammerer in the world asserts their right to free speech whenever, wherever. The free speech claim is usually just "Siddown and STFU" dressed up.

Originally Posted by Indurain
As someone in the wireless business, I've come to realize that the volume of the person speaking on the phone appears to be directly proportional to how difficult a time they have hearing the person on the other end.
A better articulation of one of my arguments against unrestricted cell phone usage en flight.

Last edited by essxjay; May 29, 2008 at 1:48 pm
Old May 29, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
I find it just as annoying when people are sitting in the business center speaking really loudly on their cell phones for what seems like hours.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Some people are more kinesthetic(sp?) than others. Movement, in this case walking, makes their minds work better. As someone who had a hard time sitting still in school I can absolutely relate. As long as a people are aware of their surroundings while moving about, I have no problem with them. Clearly it is the inconsiderate ones who stick out.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 2P
The worst are people who walk around, talking on their cellphone, with it on speakerphone.
Old May 29, 2008, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm a pacer but try to be considerate - so end up being a COTS-case in the lounge (circle on the spot).
Old May 29, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I wrote this essay almost 5 years ago on the very subject of this thread:

http://www.ratisher.com/cells_and_airports.htm
Old May 29, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do my best to flush often when I hear someone in the RCC's restrooms in conversation.

But the bigger threat to safety or sanity, of late, has been the Airserv folks. The ones who are constantly talking, dialing or texting on their cellphones while pushing the damn wheelchair into my feet and/or legs.
Old May 29, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Funny, I was about to write about these people on my site, www.flyingwithfish.com, in the next day or two under "etiquette."

Last week at the Alitalia lounge at JFK one MPW just kept standing behind me and this couple. Thereis maybe 2ft of space behind the couch and the window and he'd wander up , back and around into this little space and just crank up his personal volume.

I didn't give a flying $#!+ that he had to fly Alitalia in business class rather than Air France in business class. I didn't give a $#!+ that Alitalia was not his first choice (hell it's never my first, second or third choice). No one gives a crap that he parked at a long term lot that does car detailing. I didn't give a damn that his leave on his Chevy Tahoe was up and that he's now looking at a Ford Excursion (at more than US$4.00 per gallon of 87 octane most people are looking at small cars, and he's looking to go bigger).

The lady next to me started talking very loudly about how much she hates 'LPTs" (Loud Phone Talkers) and after 2 minutes of her very funny rant he eventually moved off to ramble behind someone else.

A few days later at Air China's lounge at PEK an English business traveler sat in the middle of four clustered tables, in a vastly empty lounge and proceeded to have an extremely loud conversation. He got up 4 or 5 times to circle those of use sitting in a quite corner near the windows, like any of us cared about his schedule. I did learn that this English business flyer is in real-estate, that he hates his brother-in-law and he had an upcoming dermatologist for something unusual on his right shoulder........to much information right?

Can these people please sit down and SHUT UP?
Old May 29, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bschaff1
Well that's why I mute the speaker on my phone when I flush. This is possible on most BlackBerrys and smart phones and is an easy way to make your day more productive.
I think you will find that muting the microphone works even better ...
Old May 29, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by fnothaft
The worst are people who walk around, talking on their cellphone, with it on speakerphone.
I had one who wasn't roaming, but, seated behind me in the E terminal CRC. She was listening to her voicemail on speakerphone. I gave her the evil eye after two messages. Made no difference. The third, her manfriend (she was in her 50s), breaking up with her. She wandered right on out of the CRC after the humiliation.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I had one who wasn't roaming, but, seated behind me in the E terminal CRC. She was listening to her voicemail on speakerphone. I gave her the evil eye after two messages. Made no difference. The third, her manfriend (she was in her 50s), breaking up with her. She wandered right on out of the CRC after the humiliation.
Oh man, that's just too funny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.