Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by brendog
How is it scary? It's not like the plane is in danger of crashing, as it's a fairly routine occurrence for which the pilots have ample training.

I've been through maybe a dozen in my life. None of them really stick out in my mind as anything but inconvenient.
Rationally yes, but the fear lasts the first few seconds where you never know whether a collision is about to happen.

Be it birds, aircraft or whatever.
Then having had the very first event like this after passing my personal 500 flights, is something you somehow shelve in the back of your mind.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:11 pm

Yes, headed from JFK to OTP once when 2 tires blew as we were trying to take off. Heard them blow but did not feel it significantly. Ended up getting a free stay and meals in a NYC hotel and flew out the next day. The experience was not bad---but could have been deadly serious.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Had an aborted landing once flying into Dxb - just about to touch down and the engines thrusted, nose up and off we went.

Apparently the runway was not clear. Scared me a bit as I didn't travel much in those days, I'm guessing it would still be quite disconcerting if it happened again.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkotQvnvzBI - here is a video from my first ever aborted landing in Iguacu, Brazil - GOL B737. Probably because of windy, shaky approach. And the runway is relatively short there.

It was kind of cool, because if it wasn't for the go-around, we wouldn't see Iguacu River and Iguacu Falls from above (can't see the falls in the video though).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: DL,EK
Around August 1984, we were in a 727 taking off from Reno for Chicago. it was nearly 100F outside. a couple seconds before rotation, we blew both tires on the right side and debris got sucked into Engines #1 and #3 shutting them down. We hit the brakes HARD. I thought for sure we were going out onto Mill street (north of the airport) but we stopped in the overrun and after a moment for reasons I still don't understand, we taxis back to the gate.

Once parked the airport fire guys in silver suits were inspecting it. The right wingtip was 12" from the ground and the left one was well above the fuselage. they foamed it down but the wheels had been ground off.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I had one with CO on the island hopper on one of the islands (Kosrae, I think). Short strip and the pilot wasn't comfortable he'd stop in time and had to make a quick decision to pull up again. Really nasty as far as ears popping goes, but he circled around and made it on the next try.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
@RustyC - you know, don't you, that you've already mentioned this twice upthread (posts 68 and 128)?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Long, long time ago coming in for landing at DCA. We got down pretty far and then went up twice as fast. Evidently another aircraft didn't clear the runway quickly enough.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:08 am

Sitting on the tarmac at TXL right now on BA993, having aborted the takeoff.Quite some way down the runway, so brakes were hit hard. A scary experience. Apparently due to a landing aircraft doing a go around. I believe we are ready to go again. Yep, here we go...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

VX SFO-SEA a few years ago. Heavy low-level fog approaching from the North. Was beautiful to see the fog lit up from below by the city lights and a few of the taller buildings that were above the fog. Tried to land twice but both times had to abort before even hit the fog. Went to PDX for fuel where they let people get off as no guarantee we'd get to SEA. Ended up landing close to midnight, shared the lone cab with two other people to get into town.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
BOS JAL aborted landing Sept 3

Anybody know the reason for the aborted landing of JL 8 on 9/3/2017 at BOS?

Weather conditions were notable for poor visibility due to dense fog. We only could see houses and streets about a few hundred feet briefly and I was wondering what the pilots would actually see. The "cockpit view" of the navigation screen listed an altitude of about 300 ft when we suddenly climbed. It was probably lower due to lag.
The captain gave an extremely brief explanation in English but I could not catch it. Unlike the US airlines, One does not get to greet the cockpit crew at landing and no explanations were given by the FA.
Interestingly, the liveatc.net audio archives for the final approach sounded unremarkable but the tower archive from 5:30 - 6 pm (2130-2200 UTC) could not be found. The archives prior and after the above time period were also unremarkable.
Thanks
jNY
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by jnyeung
Anybody know the reason for the aborted landing of JL 8 on 9/3/2017 at BOS?

Weather conditions were notable for poor visibility due to dense fog.
Think you might have answered your own question there
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IIRC the pilot need a visual confirmation that the runway is clear before touching down.
Patch of fog rolled in, the pilot lost visual and went around is my guess.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Have been on two aborted landings, both on EY.

One a 777 into MEL; the other a 380 into LHR, both due to another aircraft not clearing the runway in time.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I have been through a couple of missed approaches where looking straight down the ground is visible, but looking almost horizontally along the glide slope the runway isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.