Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What percentage of your travel is mileage runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC

I do 25% of my trips as mileage runs to keep status. Mileage runs cost me a lot of money every year between hotels/cars etc. I think I am done with the runs and will use that money to pay F fares on other airlines. My company has a good discount with FedEx ground and I am going to start shipping luggage. I tried it once and its great not to wait at baggage claim and then lugging it to your car.
Old May 24, 2008, 5:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
0% -- have never done a MR

However, since I may make 90K this year the thought has crossed my mind

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2008 at 5:26 pm
Old May 24, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by carl92103
My company has a good discount with FedEx ground and I am going to start shipping luggage. I tried it once and its great not to wait at baggage claim and then lugging it to your car.
SRSLY? Do you have an abnormal amount of luggage or something? I can't really see how shipping luggage is more convienent than just checking it, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

The only thing I can remotely call a MR is when I take oddball routings like MSP-ORD via DEN.. to maximize mileage earned.. but that is only if I have time to kill. And in the long run, it barely adds anything to my total EQM for the year. Otherwise my travel is 100% business or holiday.
Old May 24, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
More than 1MM and 1k for 7 years running and never a MR.
Old May 24, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have never taken a trip solely for the sake of gaining miles/status. A few times, low fares have encouraged me to take a trip that I otherwise wouldn't have taken, but the destination is never random.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
0% in last 9 years as 1K.
Life is too short for running idle.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
0% - have never done a MR on UA or any other airline.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:29 pm
JHV

Programs: UA 1K, AS, *wood, DL
None. I have had made 12 trips this year so far with an average RT of 6000+ miles each. I can't understand why anyone would get on a plane just to get miles.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:32 pm

0%. Althought I am a travel junkie, so it doesn't take much to convince me to take an unplanned trip.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hehe, 0%. Just to make a statistical point and change the average a bit, I'll it 90% on my end.
Old May 24, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
0%. 2K BIS is enough for me.
Old May 24, 2008, 7:04 pm
gkh

Programs: UA 1P
0%. Would have done one last year to make 1K, but DEQM wasn't offered.
Old May 24, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Never done a pure mileage run. Frequently, when I am on the mainland on a biz trip, I will buy a ticket for myself and go visit friends or family in another city. (I buy the ticket well in advance). I consider the cost of the ticket before deciding to buy or not, but never break it out into $/EQM or anything like that. I find this a good use of the vouchers (VDB or other types) I get from UA, to greatly reduce the cost of the personal portion of my biz trips.

For example, I was in BOS on biz, and then flew down to JAX and back for pleasure. Next week I'm in STL, and will be heading up to ME to visit family. I'm in the process of adding SLC-SYR to an OGG-SLC trip I have lined up.

Often I'll use my RDM's to get my wife a ticket, and I'll get a revenue ticket for myself, to get the miles.
Old May 24, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I do a handful of pure MRs each year - somewhere between 1 and 3 per year over the last couple of years. I'm expecting to do 3-4 this year, with 1 done already. So in terms of actual trips that's in the 5% range. Of course it's a lot more EQMs/EQSs than 5%

This year I'm MRing for UA 1k on segments, with an outside chance I may need to do an MR to keep AS MVPG. I'm going to do a soft landing on AA, and will probably lose CO elite altogether unless I do a flurry of VS/BR flights in the fall.
Old May 24, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
0% -- have never done a MR

However, since I may make 90K this year the thought has crossed my mind

at 90k, a MR is in your future. Hurry, DEQMs end soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.