Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else fascinated with looking out the Airplanes window during decent?

Old Apr 18, 08, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: NW, US Air, Delta, United

I love window seats and really enjoy looking out the window while the plane is descending. I like to look at the buildings and trees and love to look at new cities and see what the community looks like from the air. I try to figure out where we are in relation to the Airport.

Trouble is few people seem to share my interest in looking out the window. I notice most people do not even look out when we are flying into Washington DC or other interesting Cities. Why not?
Old Apr 18, 08, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love to look out the window during descent and think, "Hmmm, I bet we're low enough that if we lost power, I'd probably still live."

(I seriously do this.)
Old Apr 18, 08, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by UNITED959 View Post
I love to look out the window during descent and think, "Hmmm, I bet we're low enough that if we lost power, I'd probably still live."

(I seriously do this.)

That'd have to be pretty low though, right?
Old Apr 18, 08, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Mt. Rainier off to the left, higher than the plane, into SEA.

The sun reflecting off the boat-dotted bay into BOS - or SFO, just fewer boats.

Windsor Castle off the left wing into LHR.

The government buildings into DCA.

All the freighters moving about into SIN.

Etc., etc.

As my grandmother would have said, "what's not to like?"
Old Apr 18, 08, 4:49 pm

Seeing the Statue of Liberty returning to NY from Europe (first time I had ever seen it).

Seeing Parliment and Big Ben cruising above the Thames on our descent into London for the first time.

Seeing Greenland just to our right on a crystal clear day on return from FRA (Ok, not a descent, but window-seat related).

You will need a crow-bar to pry me out of my window seat!!!
Old Apr 18, 08, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post

That'd have to be pretty low though, right?
Yeah...I'd guess it's about 200 feet. I'm always optimistic there is plenty of steel between me and the ground. And crumple zones.
Old Apr 18, 08, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, Choice Gold, CitiPrestige, TYP
Window seats. Great to look out, great to curl up against for some (semi) sleep in cattle class. I recall, on a few occasions, craning my neck for a view over another passenger who had a window seat but didn't seem bothered to want to look out. Their loss, I guess.

Last edited by trsny; Apr 18, 08 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 18, 08, 6:27 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by UNITED959 View Post

(I seriously do this.)
Every time I've come into 27L in a 777 since BA38 (including yesterday), I've had that exact thought cross my mind, right as we pass over the fence.
Old Apr 18, 08, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Try flying up front (cockpit) sometime. The view is way, way cooler.
Old Apr 18, 08, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
My favorite city to do this in so far has been FLL - I like to try and see which ships are in port as we pass the harbor before landing on Runway 9.
Old Apr 18, 08, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 2 Million Miler, SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold
As I've gotten older and more jaded I've tried to keep my child like wonder under wraps. Heck I'm an engineer and I'm still amazed the planes get off the ground. I especially like the cameras on the planes on Emirates. Its not quite the same as looking out the window but still fun to watch.
Old Apr 18, 08, 8:12 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Smile

Always! No matter how many flights I take it is still exciting for me.

During the taxiing I am glued to the window while plane spotting. Neat finds are old DC-8 cargo planes or 727s.

I also like to watch the flaps retract/extend and see the alierons move while positioning. You'll see the pilots adding flap during the decent.

During landing I am again glued to the window.

How could sitting in a chair 35,000 feet above the Earth while being propelled at 500+ mph ever become boring? @:-)

Since time began, humankind has lusted after flight. Now we have it at hand with the push of a few buttons and moving a lever or two.
Old Apr 18, 08, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always sit in a window seat and love to watch takeoff and landing. Landing is particularly fun when I'm flying into an airport in a country to which I've never been -- it's fun to pick out differences between there and home.
Old Apr 18, 08, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike View Post
My favorite city to do this in so far has been FLL - I like to try and see which ships are in port as we pass the harbor before landing on Runway 9.
But the ships are past the airport when you are landing on 9L. You can only see them when you land on 27R...except for when you are downwind on your way back out to Westin before turning around to land on 9L, I guess?
Old Apr 18, 08, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
But the ships are past the airport when you are landing on 9L. You can only see them when you land on 27R...except for when you are downwind on your way back out to Westin before turning around to land on 9L, I guess?
Leave it to me to confuse east and west.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: