Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else fascinated with looking out the Airplanes window during decent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else fascinated with looking out the Airplanes window during decent?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Gunfire is very visible from the air, especially at night.
I saw that once, but only tracers during the day.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
I saw that once, but only tracers during the day.
Last July 4 came into at JAX just after dark, from the west. For the last 100 miles the amount of fireworks going off from every back yard was simply beautiful. Since fireworks that shoot in the air are not legal in Florida, it made me so proud to live in a state with so many Patriotic Lawbreakers.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:10 am

I've always been a window seat person, although on longer flights I do an aisle so as not to allow my persnickity bladder to inconvenience my seatmates. My favorites are night landings, and my best memories are flying into Orlando and seeing fireworks at the theme parks or flying into Chicago one 4th of July and seeing various community shows simultaneously. Another great memory is my first flight into Barcelona for a cruise. I saw the ship from the plane as we descended and had such a pang of excitement and anticipation.

For a long time after the hurricane trio here in FL I'd marvel at the number of blue (tarp covered) roofs every time I returned to MCO.

I know that both take-off and landing are "risky" times, but for some reason take-off makes me nervous while landing is a happy time. I know it's all in my head and we could still have a problem, but it just feels like, "Thank goodness,the flight is safely over!" even before the wheels touch the ground.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Last July 4 came into at JAX just after dark, from the west. For the last 100 miles the amount of fireworks going off from every back yard was simply beautiful. Since fireworks that shoot in the air are not legal in Florida, it made me so proud to live in a state with so many Patriotic Lawbreakers.
Just remember, they are legal in FL if you are using them to scare birds away from crops. And I'm sure that's exactly what those people were doing. At night...on July 4...but I'm sure that's what they were doing.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Even better

I'm always torn between getting an aisle and a window seat. I also always carry a 10x monocular just for those occasions where I can see out the window. It's fun to try to read the road signs and get a slightly closer view of things.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
love the window seat,whether flying thru the clouds, or looking at the Greenland coast flying back from Europe, Alaska coast flying to Asia, sunset or sunrise always great to look at, or trying to reach out to touch a building during landing, or just staring out during cruise while sipping my drink, i gotta go flying again soon...

on long flights in coach though, if i cant get exit or bulkhead window, i take an aisle for comfort.

i play dumb when the FA asks to lower the shades and try to keep it half way open at least

and i really get mad at ppl who get a window seat and then close the shades. just want to yell at em.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:39 pm

Seeing the views is a gift ~ no matter where in the world. I remember being in awe of the Twin Towers on a beautiful sunny afternoon (the only time Iever saw them from the air).

Last edited by Soames; Apr 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by Soames
Seeing the views is a gift ~ no matter where in the world. I remember being in awe of the Twin Towers on a beautiful sunny afternoon (the only time Iever saw them from the air).
Same here. I'll never forget the crystal clear panoramic view I had of those towers on 9 Sep '01 on my international arrival into JFK. I'll never forget thinking to myself, "wow, they're welcoming me home..."
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Last night I landed in JFK and we flew past the Statue of Liberty, and Brooklyn bridge. It was quite beautiful... I was up front and had to akwardly look over the man to my right... which was wierd, but aren't we all a little wierd?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
anytime i fly into ORD right before sunrise or right after sunset i'm fixed to the window. one of the most beautiful sights.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 4:13 pm

I love looking out the window so much that I always try to remember to bring some Windex wipes or something similar when I fly. Most times there's this gunky buildup of (I assume) face grease on the window which, aside from being disgusting, obscures the view out the window. It also helps if/when I snap a photo or video while in the air.

My favorite sites? Lake Lanier and downtown ATL on the 8L arrival from the NE. The strip in LAS, Waikiki Beach in HNL, the Potomac visual approach in WAS, and of course Manhattan. I also love ID'ing airports from cruising altitiude and watching thunderstorms (hopefully from a reasonable distance).
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: Independent
Like yauponaustin, I get so annoyed when I get stuck in the aisle or center seat, and the person in the window seat immediately closes the shade. I think flight tracker is one f the most wonderful on board entertainment options because you can get a little bet better clue what you are looking at. I have always wished there was some kind of decent visual guide besides a map that could help you identify what it is you are flying over.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Recently, a few of us were doing an LAX run as part of an AA promo. The captain came on & made yet another "out this window you'll see" announcement, and we were just about to do the , another "tour guide pilot" attitude when we noted it was the Grand Canyon at sunrise. On a clear morning. Breathtaking. Just stunning. We all were humbly reminded, yep, oh yeah, there's that awesome view thing out there, out these windows we take for granted. The pilot was thanked.

I like the night views as well:

Southern Greenland at night, under a full moon (en route to FRA).

The Sahara Desert at night, under a full moon (en route to Accra)

The black expanse of endless stars, at night, over the pacific on a long flight over nowhere, w/o the moon
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Altho' on the flipside, I don't bother with looking out over my home airport. All the "the party's over", "back to work", "back to the grind" thoughts come racing when I do.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Window seats are the deal! Ascending, descending or cruise, makes no difference. Always something to see even if its the stars over the middle of the Pacific at midnight. I am just glad so many others prefer aisles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.