Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else fascinated with looking out the Airplanes window during decent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else fascinated with looking out the Airplanes window during decent?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Try flying up front (cockpit) sometime. The view is way, way cooler.
Rub it in.

I earned my CFIG over 20 years ago, and haven't had a chance to fly PIC in 10.
Riding in a heavy is a real bittersweet experience for me ... I love flying and I pretty much still follow the landing with an imaginary stick in my hand ... I would love to get the chance to look out the front on a landing sometime.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I've always enjoyed a good view, especially when someone else is doing the driving. However, for me, an aisle seat always trumps window, except when they are one and the same
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Love looking out the window despite flying, alas, over water for most of my flights:SYD AKL LAX
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
I've always enjoyed a good view, especially when someone else is doing the driving. However, for me, an aisle seat always trumps window, except when they are one and the same
Same here... Aisle gives you a bit more room (w/ legs) and ability to move around...

I do like looking out during approaches in ANC, SEA and PUW (my 3 most frequented airports) and checking which way we're coming in, the traffic, spotting cops, etc. Just a cool thing to do!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Try flying up front (cockpit) sometime. The view is way, way cooler.
Hey, keep your hands on the yoke and your eyes on the runway!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Cattle_Car Flyer
I love window seats and really enjoy looking out the window while the plane is descending. I like to look at the buildings and trees and love to look at new cities and see what the community looks like from the air. I try to figure out where we are in relation to the Airport.

Trouble is few people seem to share my interest in looking out the window. I notice most people do not even look out when we are flying into Washington DC or other interesting Cities. Why not?
I always love to look out the window when the plane is about to land! It's a lot of fun to try to understand what I am flying over, look at traffic on roads, see how houses are built, etc. This is especially the case whenever I'm flying to a new destination. However, I usually only get a window seat on short haul flights. I like to look out the window for about 20min before landing but I like even better not to be stuck in a window seat for 10hrs! If I'm travelling in C, though, then it's a different story!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Unless, I would need to sit all the way in the back on the way to the US(last in the line for immigration), I would always go for the window seat. Usually, I prefer the left side (A seat) as it's the more natural side to lean against when you want to sleep.

Just on a recent flight, I sat in a G seat on an A330 (right seat of the middle row) and it's so disturbing to fly somewhere, you can clearly see that there is something outside and my head spins from the left to the right and back to just get a glimpse on both sides but the windows are just too far away

Flying into EWR, they usual decent goes over the part of NJ where I used to live and on the way out of EWR back to Europe, you fly over the Skyline of Manhattan, always nice to see.

Same on my usual CGN-MUC-CGN. The Cathedral and the Bayer Cross on the way into Cologne, the countryside in MUC where I grew up.

Flying into and out of FRA is pretty boring though. It's all really ugly.

There are so many more stories to tell but YES, I share this passion with you ^

Edit: let me add the following experience. Years ago, when Varig was still part of the Alliance, I flew them from Curitiba to Foz de Iguacu. It was one of the most amazing flights (due to the view) The captain flew a really nice turn around the Falls and all passengers on the left side could see the beauty of this area. It was my first time there, I was really amazed.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:25 am

I'm an Aisle person - quick to deplane, easy for me to disappear into the toilet or to chat to the FA's without disturbing someone near me.

That said, I still crane my neck to see what I'm missing out on by not being near the window!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Cattle_Car Flyer
I love window seats and really enjoy looking out the window while the plane is descending. I like to look at the buildings and trees and love to look at new cities and see what the community looks like from the air. I try to figure out where we are in relation to the Airport.
Love to do that as well especially when sipping Krug simultaneously.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:09 am

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
I always get the window...but my fiance also loves the window, so shortly I will be taking the Aisle
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:27 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Let's see...

From the left window seat on final approach flying right above Mt. Haupu and then Nawiliwili River before landing on the old runway at LIH,

Banking to the right on final approach over Pearl Harbor before landing in HNL,

Arriving from the west, where your plane banks to the left over the Mississippi River, revealing architect Eero Saarinen's brilliant St. Louis Arch before landing at STL,

A flight path similar to STL, but this time banking over Lake Michigan, seeing planner Daniel Burnham's plan for Downtown Chicago revealed before you prior to landing at ORD,

Seeing all of the orange/brown roofs of buildings making up the city of BCN prior to landing,

And also to the right of your window seat, watching the beautiful and dramatic surf following parallel to your plane while landing at DPS...
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:45 am

I, too, definitely enjoy looking out the window should I have the chance to sit there. Once, and only once, I saw the sun set twice! The sun had just set below the horizon. At that particular moment the plane banked to the right. The timing was perfect because I could see the sun set once again below the horizon from my seat on the left side of the aircraft. It was the only time in my entire life to witness 2 sunsets in one day! It's still my most exciting sunset...ever, and I've been fortunate enough to have seen some truly magnificent ones over the Nile, from the west coast of Florida, over Mount Fuji from an airplane, and numerous others!

The thought has passed through my mind whether or not I could survive from a particular height during take-offs and landings.

I also find myself looking at aircraft as we taxi to/from the gate.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: AS
SEA: Plane flying north and then makes a U-turn around downtown Seattle to head back south towards SeaTac. The space needle and other buildings in downtown, plus the two stadiums are fascinating to look at.

While not during descend, I love it when the plane is flying just above the clouds during sunset or sunrise. It's like you're floating on a sea of cotton candy, with the orange fireball on the horizon. It's so cool!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:12 am

I do, especially when flying into my old hometown of Chicago or the place where I grew up, near Detroit.

When I fly into DTW, I can recognize places where I used to hang out, work, etc. -- it's very nostalgic.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3timesalady
When I fly into DTW, I can recognize places where I used to hang out, work, etc. -- it's very nostalgic.
Gunfire is very visible from the air, especially at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.