FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/812429-passport-stamps-amendments-endorsements-page.html)

797-3 Apr 13, 2008 3:48 pm

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

My passport is now full. I don't want additional pages because they may not line up with the old pages and just make the passport bulge.

Will countries just stamp the endorsement page?

Through internet research, I found that amendments (such as name changes) are no longer permitted. Most endorsements don't apply to me except one that says that additional visa pages are added. Other endorsements include saying that the bearer is a former president of the U.S., current Member of Congress, a UN military observer, spouse of a U.S. Ambassador, a short expiry that can't be renewed, etc.

J-M Apr 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by 797-3 (Post 9565813)

Sometimes Mexico does that even when the passport isn't full :D

raustin Apr 13, 2008 7:23 pm

I understand it's a big no-no among border control people, so they stay away from those pages (which are reserved for use by the issuing country only).

SirJman Apr 13, 2008 8:55 pm

I have a AMS exit stamp on my endorsement page, in my Canadian passport. I was advised to get a new one, as it was getting quite full, she didn't seem to care very much that she was stamping it on the endorsement page.

UAL Traveler Apr 13, 2008 10:44 pm

My passport is now full. I don't want additional pages because they may not line up with the old pages and just make the passport bulge.

IME, consular officials do a very good job lining up the inserts with the existing pages. Obviously the passport will get thicker, though it is still manageable. The only alternative is getting a new passport long before expiration of the old one.
That will invalidate visas which are tied to the validity of the passport to which they are added. Visas which have a fixed validity periods are generally unaffected, and may be presented in the expired passport along with the current one.

An immigration official may place a stamp just about anywhere they please, but it is rare for them to do so outside the bounds of the visa/entry/exit pages.

Christopher Apr 14, 2008 3:22 am

I think you run the risk of an immigration officer refusing to stamp the endorsement page. Whether or not an officer will bend the rules in this way must, obviously, depend on both the individual officer and the country involved.

If I were in your position I would either be getting the additional pages or biting the bullet and investing in a renewed passport, even if the old one is not due to expire for some time.

dg4255 Apr 14, 2008 3:24 am

A few years ago, I was travelling to/from Tunisia for a holiday. I had plenty of free spaces available at the time. But for some reason, the officer decided to stamp the Amendments and Endorsements page. And when I left, they stamped it again right next to the first stamp.

bdb55 Apr 14, 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by dg4255 (Post 9567888)
A few years ago, I was travelling to/from Tunisia for a holiday. I had plenty of free spaces available at the time. But for some reason, the officer decided to stamp the Amendments and Endorsements page. And when I left, they stamped it again right next to the first stamp.

The same thing happened to me in Morocco (they stamped my friend's passport on the endorsement page too).

I also have lots of stamps on top of each other, despite several completely blank pages. French agents seemed to open to a random page and stamp regardless of whether there were other stamps there or not

Christopher Apr 14, 2008 8:26 am

Originally Posted by bdb55 (Post 9568409)
French agents seemed to open to a random page and stamp regardless of whether there were other stamps there or not

The US people do that as well — stamps any-old-where and at various crazy angles.

The tidiest stamps in my current passport are the Singapore ones (not surprisingly, I suppose), with each entry stamp neatly paired with its corresponding exit stamp, and all arranged in chronological order over a double-page spread.

UNITED959 Apr 14, 2008 8:38 am

Not sure what passport you carry, but I just had pages put into my U.S. one, and they line up just fine.

Failure to do something about this is just creating a headache for yourself, IMO.

redbeard911 Apr 14, 2008 9:50 am

The passports for all the Redbeards have had pages added that look just fine. Because I've added pages before I get too full, I've never had to get the amendments page stamped. ;)

soitgoes Apr 14, 2008 9:57 am

My passport is now full.

You said it yourself. It's true, so you have three options:
1) Get a new passport.
2) Get additional pages added to your current passport.
3) Do nothing and risk getting denied entry and/or fined/delayed/hassled by the immigration authorities in a country you are trying to visit and/or denied boarding on an international flight by an airline.

797-3 Apr 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 9568730)
The tidiest stamps in my current passport are the Singapore ones (not surprisingly, I suppose), with each entry stamp neatly paired with its corresponding exit stamp, and all arranged in chronological order over a double-page spread.

Me, too. All my Singapore stamps are straight. Most are right side up but a few are straight on its side.

Japan seems to be very straight but then it's a sticker. One of their exit stamps was in the middle of two squares which seem to discourage other countries from using the space. Eventually, someone will use the space and slightly cover up the Japanese exit stamp.

UK and Sweden tend to be straight but sometimes crooked. Like the other poster said, French ones are all over the place, stamped over stamps, not very clear sometimes, not aligned, etc.

--
NEW QUESTION:
Is it better to get new pages overseas than in the U.S.?

When you have added pages, does the office who does it make a note in the passport in the endorsement page? For example, "Visa pages added. US Embassy Paris" or "Visa pages added. US Embassy Banjul". If so, I want to have it done in an interesting and unusual embassy!

tom911 Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by 797-3 (Post 9571772)
Is it better to get new pages overseas than in the U.S.?

When you have added pages, does the office who does it make a note in the passport in the endorsement page? For example, "Visa pages added. US Embassy Paris" or "Visa pages added. US Embassy Banjul". If so, I want to have it done in an interesting and unusual embassy!

There's a couple existing threads here relating to specific consulates and having pages added, so might be worthwhile to bring up the info on some of the older threads.

I had mine done in Sydney about 2 years ago and was in and out in 45 mins. I had tried to do it at the Embassy in Wellington, but they told me I had to deal with the Consulate in Auckland. That didn't work as I wasn't planning to stop in Auckland.

The passport will be stamped by the Consulate with the official stamp (mine has the Sydney stamp), and will also have a typed entry indicating the date the pages were added.

chwillia Apr 15, 2008 10:41 am

Can we say OCD? just kidding but you must be a very particular person.

FYI, my additional pages do not 'line up'. They seem to be slightly smaller than the original.