Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

Old Oct 17, 11, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by stifle View Post
And the US is the only country I'm aware of that stamps its own citizens' passports routinely.
South Korea stamps in and out for their citizens

Flying DTW-EWR-YQB on a Canadian passport, I was pulled into secondary at YQB while they questioned why I flew via the US and not from Windsor. I said it was 400$ cheaper (this was prior to Porter in YQG and AC OW fares were outrageous) from DTW and the agent claimed 'but dont you love your own country?' After showing him the eticket that I only paid 160$ for my flight, and him calling the AC and asking how much YQG-YQB was. He then stamped my Canadian passport with a Canadian entry stamp...strange

Last edited by SirJman; Oct 17, 11 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 18, 11, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by SirJman View Post
Flying DTW-EWR-YQB on a Canadian passport, I was pulled into secondary at YQB while they questioned why I flew via the US and not from Windsor. I said it was 400$ cheaper (this was prior to Porter in YQG and AC OW fares were outrageous) from DTW and the agent claimed 'but dont you love your own country?' After showing him the eticket that I only paid 160$ for my flight, and him calling the AC and asking how much YQG-YQB was. He then stamped my Canadian passport with a Canadian entry stamp...strange
I would have been tempted to tell him to pound sand in that situation. Immigration officials have no right to refuse you into your own country. Ending each response to his questions with "am I free to go?" and "why am I being detained?" in rotation is also an option.
Old Nov 12, 11, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
We are off to south america (EZE/PDP) and my better half, seconds after me ticketing with the AAgent uttered, my passport is full. Except for the pages 22-24 which are for endorsements and they are fully blank. Upon closer inspection her passport does have some space in certain pages but wanted to ask if it is enough. For example page 8 has about 1.25 inches from the top of the page blank (In other words the page is fully stamped except for the top 1.25 inch part of the page which is blank). Another page has a 1.5 inch empty square which can be used for a stamp. Is this enough stamps-wise for a quick trip to EZE and PDP?
Old Nov 13, 11, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It depends on the immigration officer. He could be nice and give you no trouble, or he could be not so nice and ruin your day. If you have time, you should definitely get some pages added (assuming you have a US passport).
Old Nov 13, 11, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by psyflyer View Post
We are off to south america (EZE/PDP) and my better half, seconds after me ticketing with the AAgent uttered, my passport is full. Except for the pages 22-24 which are for endorsements and they are fully blank. Upon closer inspection her passport does have some space in certain pages but wanted to ask if it is enough. For example page 8 has about 1.25 inches from the top of the page blank (In other words the page is fully stamped except for the top 1.25 inch part of the page which is blank). Another page has a 1.5 inch empty square which can be used for a stamp. Is this enough stamps-wise for a quick trip to EZE and PDP?
Ordinary US passports being used for entry into Argentina at EZE involve a full page sticker that comes with payment of the visa reciprocity fee; then there is entry (and later exit) stamp for Argentina. Uruguay will also give entry and exit stamps.

While what you note above may be enough for stamps (not of the affixed paper variety) for Argentina and Uruguay, the first issue to arise will be whether or not it is enough for the visa reciprocity sticker. Some of those applying the sticker were trained not to apply the reciprocity sticker to the amendment/endorsement pages, but have done so anyway as long as it has not covered up something else. They were also trained not to place the reciprocity stickers over a page that has any stamps on it, but it has happened too, even as it's not and probably only occurred because the stamp seemed to be faded so much that the person affixing the reciprocity payment sticker (a full page sticker at that) may have not noticed them.

If your trip is on a US passport for US-EZE-Uruguay-Argentina-US, that often involved 6 non-US stamps + the full-page visa reciprocity fee payment sticker. It sounds like someone doesn't think there may be room for that, and so then go for additional pages or a new passport book (of the larger page variety). Even on most non-US passports, that's at least 6 stamps for entry/exist.

When it comes to visa waiver/visa-on-arrival type of arrangements for my entry, the only times I have had "problems" with regard to room for stamp placement in my passports related to "no place" to stamp has been when I have had pages available in my passports but the passport control clerk's repeated flipping through my passports left them seeing full page after pull page but not any of the blank pages which actually are in my passports. These government employees don't appreciate my mentioning that there actually are blank pages in my passport still and can get annoyed if not confirming their statement. [A few passport control persons who do remember having brought up the issue with me before even have the amusing audacity to later mention that I got additional pages added, even when there had been no such situation for me and my passport between our previous encounter and the current encounter. That their ability to effectively refuse me entry is limited to non-existent makes the situation all the more endearing.]
Old Nov 13, 11, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to gamble it given that if we are confronted with the issue I will just point toward the available space and say we figured it was enough.
Old Nov 13, 11, 1:12 pm

I just got back from Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. I had a full page and a half left in my passport. Chile stapled the reciprocity fee receipt on the half-page, and Argentina pasted theirs on the full page that was left, which was the inside of the back cover. When I entered or departed a country, they first stamped under the Chile stapled receipt, then they stamped across the middle of two pages when I had no space left. One stamp was over top of a faded stamp from years ago. Not one immigration officer said anything about lack of space to stamp. My passport expires in August, so I am going to get a new one before my next international trip.
Old Dec 4, 11, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by psyflyer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to gamble it given that if we are confronted with the issue I will just point toward the available space and say we figured it was enough.
Just a data point that Argentina put the visa on the amendments and endorsement page including all stamps (4) nobody said nothing. Uruguay put one stamp on an available sliver and the other one also like their Argentinian counterparts.

Her passport does not expire until 2016, does anyone know if we are obligated to get more pages or can we just get her a new passport since it would be cheaper?
Old Dec 4, 11, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
You may choose to get a new passport if you prefer, although some countries' visas/reciprocity fee receipts/etc. are automatically considered voided if you do.
Old May 29, 19, 1:20 am

I wanted to revive this thread as it's been a while, and I'd like to hear experiences. A relative has 6 pages left including the endorsement pages (not sure how many of those are there in a regular-sized passport). He is leaving for Germany, India, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia on 25 June. He's afraid of the turnaround, and doesn't have time to go to a passport agency due to the long travel time involved (several hours). He only needs a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam. Are those (or any other of these countries in Asia) picky about blank pages? Or, will Thailand be happy to stamp wherever asked (I know Germany and India are happy to stamp in crowded pages)?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: