Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

Old Apr 17, 08, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07 View Post
What is a "PNG declaration" and why would one want to remove it?
Persona non grata.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_non_grata
Old Apr 17, 08, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
That does seem somewhat ineffective, however. If I got a PNG declaration, I'd probably renew my passport. (I don't think State can enter such designations in a new passport.)
That's right. State will also issue a clean second PP if prior travel proved problematic. Hard Israeli stamps (despite my request for a loose sheet of paper) prevented my obtaining an Oman visa, until I reapplied with a second PP. State told me things would then go smoothly, and they were right. I found it interesting that Omani officials didn't care/check that the name and address were the same... just a different PP number without offending stamps.
Old Apr 17, 08, 9:13 pm

I have a US Passport and I may be in BIG trouble. Please help!

Hello. Has any one has recent experience with requesting additonal visa pages for US passports by sending it to the Philadelphia address? I sent my passport last Saturday, April 12 by requesting regular service instead of expedited service because I thought I was not going to travel until November. HOWEVER, I may have to go to China for work on May 21. I called today and they told me that they had received my application but has not processed it yet and won't be able to tell me when I will get it.

Can someone please tell me how long I should expect to wait? What if it hasn't arrived the week before May 21? Anything I can do without cancelling my trip? If I get it the week before, that would be 5 weeks that they have. Is that sufficient time for them to add pages and send back via regular mail?

I really regret doing it now especially since hearing from here that people just go to the US embassy in foreign countries to get the pages added the same day. Since I can't undo this, any advice or word of comfort would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 08, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
We had a thread about a week ago where an FTer said he got his back in 15 days via regular mail. This was for a renewal though, versus adding pages.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810913

You might consider intervention by your Congressman if you get into May and it becomes time sensitive, even if you end up paying the expedite fee.
Old Apr 18, 08, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wcaldog View Post
Can someone please tell me how long I should expect to wait? What if it hasn't arrived the week before May 21? Anything I can do without cancelling my trip? If I get it the week before, that would be 5 weeks that they have. Is that sufficient time for them to add pages and send back via regular mail?
You'll probably get it back in time for your trip. If you don't have it by the beginning of May, then I would contact the NPIC/State again. That would give you time to get the passport back or even get a new passport issued.

Do you already have a visa for China? Or do you need to get that, too, before you go?
Old Apr 18, 08, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
A few years ago, I was travelling to/from Tunisia for a holiday. I had plenty of free spaces available at the time. But for some reason, the officer decided to stamp the Amendments and Endorsements page. And when I left, they stamped it again right next to the first stamp.
Kind of interesting, the same thing happened to me in Tunisia. He stamped the last (endorsements/amendments) page for no apparent reason. Maybe we got the same mischievous agent!

In general, I don't think that it's possible to run out of space for stamps. They will find space, stamp on the extra pages, or just stamp over another stamp. I would be curious to hear if anyone was ever refused entry because of this. Needing space for a sticker or stamp visa is, of course, a different matter.

I have had pages added twice; yeah, it's a bit ugly, but who cares?
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've added pages something like 4 or 5 times and now have over 200 pages in my passport. It still fits fine in my pocket.

You can request that they add twice as many pages as normal if you want. When they see how many visas I have, they usually even suggest adding double.

It is far, far easier to get pages added at a US Consulate outside of the US.
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Also I have a second passport, not because of Israel (I ask them to not stamp my passport), but because sometimes certain visas take several days and I can't be without my passport for that long.
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
Kind of interesting, the same thing happened to me in Tunisia. He stamped the last (endorsements/amendments) page for no apparent reason. Maybe we got the same mischievous agent!
There may be a very obvious reason they do this there. It has to do with how people read in Arabic -- from right to left in Arabic, rather than from left to right like in English -- and consequently it isn't unnatural to go from the "back", especially considering how the spine of the book is often placed.

Also, when the passport is thick and full of lots of stamps, many agents think it just easier to go toward the back and look for a blank spot from there.
Old Apr 18, 08, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by 797-3 View Post
Is it better to get new pages overseas than in the U.S.?

When you have added pages, does the office who does it make a note in the passport in the endorsement page? For example, "Visa pages added. US Embassy Paris" or "Visa pages added. US Embassy Banjul". If so, I want to have it done in an interesting and unusual embassy!
You're not alone. I did exactly this two years ago on a month-long trip. I picked Vientiane, Laos, for the stamp over Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Ho Chi Minh City, though any of those would have been interesting enough.

However, the Vientiane embassy used a tool that pressed a seal into the page (no ink, just raised and lowered images), so it's kind of hard to read. My wife's addition, however, has a nice ink stamp stating that the pages were added at the Hong Kong consulate.
Old Apr 18, 08, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
There may be a very obvious reason they do this there. It has to do with how people read in Arabic -- from right to left in Arabic, rather than from left to right like in English -- and consequently it isn't unnatural to go from the "back", especially considering how the spine of the book is often placed.

Also, when the passport is thick and full of lots of stamps, many agents think it just easier to go toward the back and look for a blank spot from there.
That's a good point, although I have entered an Arabic-speaking country 50 times in the past two years and no other time did the agent stamp the last page; they may well have started at the "back," but they at least went as far as the designated visa pages as opposed to stamping on the endorsements/amendments pages.
Old Oct 24, 08, 11:32 am

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
for some reason, the officer decided to stamp the Amendments and Endorsements page
This has happened to me twice: Once leaving AMS, and the second time 10 days later when I departed Prague.
Old Oct 24, 08, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whiteknuckles View Post
This has happened to me twice: Once leaving AMS, and the second time 10 days later when I departed Prague.
The officials at these points are often busy or distracted or something else and just go for whatever spot they fancy without regard to a notation about the page being an amendment or endorsement page rather than a visa page.

I have lots of stamps on my seal and amendment/endorsement pages and it's been no issue except with regard to getting the US government to be willing to use those pages in the future for the designated purpose.
Old Oct 24, 08, 11:47 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I have lots of stamps on my seal and amendment/endorsement pages and it's been no issue except with regard to getting the US government to be willing to use those pages in the future for the designated purpose.
I got an earful in DFW after the MTY Immigration guy stamped my "Amendments" page with my entry stamp back in June.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Oct 24, 08, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by raustin View Post
I understand it's a big no-no among border control people, so they stay away from those pages (which are reserved for use by the issuing country only).
Please tell that to the immigration officials in Tunisia and the Czech Republic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: