Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

passport stamps on the amendments/endorsements page?

Old Apr 15, 08, 4:08 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
The tidiest stamps in my current passport are the Singapore ones (not surprisingly, I suppose), with each entry stamp neatly paired with its corresponding exit stamp, and all arranged in chronological order over a double-page spread.
Originally Posted by 797-3 View Post
Me, too. All my Singapore stamps are straight. Most are right side up but a few are straight on its side.
All of my Singapore stamps are on the lower left corner of the page. All about a quarter inch from the edges.^

Japan seems to be very straight but then it's a sticker. One of their exit stamps was in the middle of two squares which seem to discourage other countries from using the space. Eventually, someone will use the space and slightly cover up the Japanese exit stamp.
One of my Japan stamps (sticker) is crooked, and the exit stamp is right next to it (in the middle of the page). No one else ever stamp that page.
Old Apr 15, 08, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Is it better to get new pages overseas than in the U.S.?

When you have added pages, does the office who does it make a note in the passport in the endorsement page? For example, "Visa pages added. US Embassy Paris" or "Visa pages added. US Embassy Banjul". If so, I want to have it done in an interesting and unusual embassy!
In general, you don't need an appointment to have your passport serviced in overseas US embassies and consulates. They'll typically add inserts while you wait.

Overseas I've had stamps on Page A of the insert that listed the issue date and authority (e.g. Bangkok, Thailand). My latest couple of inserts was done here in the US which had a generic State Dept seal and some verbiage about the pp being amended to add visa pages.
Old Apr 15, 08, 4:53 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
The US people do that as well stamps any-old-where and at various crazy angles.

The tidiest stamps in my current passport are the Singapore ones (not surprisingly, I suppose), with each entry stamp neatly paired with its corresponding exit stamp, and all arranged in chronological order over a double-page spread.
Eesti used to do really neat stamps - on the last page of the passport. They were rectangular and they'd do them so the edges touched. They could get at least 10 non overlapping stamps (five entry and five exit) on a single page.
Old Apr 16, 08, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
If you're feeling crafty, you can peel off any full-page visas you may have, like China or Russia. Be careful though as a ripped page is a pain to explain away sometimes.
Old Apr 16, 08, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel View Post
If you're feeling crafty, you can peel off any full-page visas you may have, like China or Russia. Be careful though as a ripped page is a pain to explain away sometimes.
And the absence of the visa when you return to that country could also be hard to explain if they wanted to ask... Removing visas really isn't a good idea as it could leave residue on a page, or tear while you're trying to remove it or rip the page etc.
Old Apr 16, 08, 6:53 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM, AS MVPG, DL PM
When you have added pages, does the office who does it make a note in the passport in the endorsement page? For example, "Visa pages added. US Embassy Paris" or "Visa pages added. US Embassy Banjul". If so, I want to have it done in an interesting and unusual embassy!
I had pages added in the US, by sending/receiving my passport by mail.

On the very back, inside cover there is a stamp that says:

THIS PASSPORT WAS AMENDED ON AUG 15 2007 TO ADD VISA PAGES TO PASSPORT NUMBER XXXXXXXXX.

The very first page they added was also squeezed with a state department stamp.
Old Apr 16, 08, 6:43 pm

Programs: Most of them
Adding two more sets of pages doesn't make it exceesively thick. The third add makes it a bit bulky. I am not sure how many they will do.

The Russians always go to the last page to stamp...easy for them I guess.
Old Apr 16, 08, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by raustin View Post
I understand it's a big no-no among border control people, so they stay away from those pages (which are reserved for use by the issuing country only).
The only time I've gotten that page stamped was in and out of Russia, when there was plenty of room elsewhere. I think they were being contrary.
Old Apr 16, 08, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
Adding two more sets of pages doesn't make it exceesively thick. The third add makes it a bit bulky. I am not sure how many they will do.
I've had the max permissible number of inserts (seven) added in a 24-page book, and well over that in a 48-page book. The only limit (based on procedural Dept. of State rules) is based on the number of original visa pages available for insert attachment. The only practical limit is whether the book explodes in their hands when they add the ultimate insert.
Old Apr 16, 08, 9:18 pm

I had five inserts in one passport many years ago. I just used a rubber band to keep the whole thing in good shape.

Removing visas from your passport is never a good idea, and may render your passport invalid if the bureaucrats believe it's "willful alteration" (absent a reasonable explanation). Also, the new paper is supposed to change color when disturbed - such as in adhesive bonding.

Last edited by raustin; Apr 16, 08 at 9:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 08, 9:29 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Boghopper View Post
The only time I've gotten that page stamped was in and out of Russia, when there was plenty of room elsewhere. I think they were being contrary.
AFAIK, Finnland, Eesti and Russia all stamped the last page.
Old Apr 17, 08, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by raustin View Post
Removing visas from your passport is never a good idea, and may render your passport invalid if the bureaucrats believe it's "willful alteration" (absent a reasonable explanation).
So true! I've been in countries (several in Asia and the Middle East) where immigration took their time looking at blank pages and for evidence of removed pages. Apparently, according to one fairly talkative and friendly agent, one thing they were trying to ascertain is whether any PNG declarations were removed.
Old Apr 17, 08, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
All of my original pages are full. I have one insert in which the embassy placed a full page sticker on one of the blank original pages (back when i actually had a blank one)... question... when I get my next insert, is the embassy going to cover up stamps with another full page sticker saying "This passport was amended..blah blah blah"??? Or am I out of luck since I have no more blank original pages?
Old Apr 17, 08, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler View Post
Apparently, according to one fairly talkative and friendly agent, one thing they were trying to ascertain is whether any PNG declarations were removed.
That does seem somewhat ineffective, however. If I got a PNG declaration, I'd probably renew my passport. (I don't think State can enter such designations in a new passport.)
Old Apr 17, 08, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
That does seem somewhat ineffective, however. If I got a PNG declaration, I'd probably renew my passport. (I don't think State can enter such designations in a new passport.)
What is a "PNG declaration" and why would one want to remove it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: