Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The door will be closing in ___ minutes - Final call for boarding.

Old Apr 13, 08, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest

Is this just an ALB thing, or have other airport GAs started giving count downs to when the jetway door will be closing? It almost sounded like a game of 'Name that Tune' with battling GA announcements across the terminal. "The door will be closing in 5 minutes." "I will close the door in 3 minutes." Every airline was using similar phrasing. I've never heard that at other airports I've been to.
Old Apr 13, 08, 2:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I hear it at most airports I am at... especially those with "regional" service.... they are boarding so many flights that they want to make sure passengers hear the "deadlines".

William
Old Apr 13, 08, 4:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Of course, sometimes the final boarding call isn't very final....
Old Apr 15, 08, 5:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
It's never final in LAS - every week I hear a non-ending litany that "So-and-so must come to gate nn immediately or your seat will be cancelled. This is the final call" After about 10 announcements, they stop. It is truly annoying. Someone needs to read the dictionary for the definition of "final". Maybe they need to try something like "Goin once...going twice"
Old Apr 15, 08, 6:08 pm

They should go "This is the penultimate and final call for flight 445 on America Worst Airlines from Vegas to The Strip".

penultimate being a fancy word for final and ultimate.
Old Apr 15, 08, 10:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
^ They could even use antepenultimate.
Old Apr 16, 08, 1:16 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I never heard the counting announcements about door will be closed in X minutes. I hear only the announcements like this is the final call, then follows the last final call, then the ultimate final call, ....
Old Apr 16, 08, 1:49 am

It's standard practice on Hawaiian Airlines.
Old Apr 16, 08, 5:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by usa18dca View Post
penultimate being a fancy word for final and ultimate.
Actually, penultimate is the word for last but one/next to last - not final and ultimate
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/cham...Mozilla-search
Old Apr 16, 08, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I could swear that they have the "final" calls for Sydney bound UA flights from LAX for at leash half an hour. At the end of the "final" calls they start calling passengers by their names. Few times I have been listening to these "final" calls while waiting for other flights.
Old Apr 16, 08, 5:34 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Originally Posted by szg View Post
I never heard the counting announcements about door will be closed in X minutes. I hear only the announcements like this is the final call, then follows the last final call, then the ultimate final call, ....
Ever been there for the 1am redeye?
Old Apr 17, 08, 1:01 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Final call for boarding

How many of you noticed that the gate agents tend to say final call on the PA announcement for at least five times before they actually shut the gate door?
Old Apr 17, 08, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it was "last and final" boarding call about five times?
Old Apr 17, 08, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by bcmatt View Post
Actually, penultimate is the word for last but one/next to last - not final and ultimate
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/cham...Mozilla-search
Thanks. That was my recollection from my high school English class, but then I started to wonder after reading this thread.
Old Apr 18, 08, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk View Post
How many of you noticed that the gate agents tend to say final call on the PA announcement for at least five times before they actually shut the gate door?
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
I thought it was "last and final" boarding call about five times?
Had this happen on a quick turn in MHT on a CP MR... left security and they started calling me... and had the "Final" call more then once... thankfully!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: