Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Originally Posted by toyoman
We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. I recall it was for an Inncom thermostat, it did work.

- While holding down "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
- Release "display" button

This enters the VIP mode which turns off the motion sensor, and allows a lower range of the thermostat so you can get the room really cold.
Print Wikipost

Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Jay K
I know I'm 5yrs too late to this post but this was the first thing I thought of
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124
Heh. We ran into this at a Hilton in mid-beach Miami Beach last January. There was a freak cold spell, temps outside got down to 48-52F. Temps in the room were the same. When we asked why the thermostat in the room wasn't working, we were told the hotel was built (in the 1920's) with NO HEATING SYSTEM. So we called around to 10-12 other Miami Beach hotels in all price ranges ($300-1300/night) and they all said the same thing - no heat. The local Walgreens had sold out of blankets and heaters, and we didn't have a car to get to Walmart. So we cut our trip short.
The lack of central heating systems is common in much of S. Florida. You usually don't need it. At the same time I'm surprised the hotel didn't have at least a small space heater for you.

BTW, a small space heater has a dual function in Florida. The obvious heat when it's cold, but more importantly, heat + AC = dehumidifier for the rest of the year.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by KRSW
The lack of central heating systems is common in much of S. Florida. You usually don't need it. At the same time I'm surprised the hotel didn't have at least a small space heater for you.

BTW, a small space heater has a dual function in Florida. The obvious heat when it's cold, but more importantly, heat + AC = dehumidifier for the rest of the year.
This is sort-of like the lack of A/C in chunks of northern Europe. There are areas where these things just aren't seen as being needed (why spend millions for a retrofit that will be needed one or two weeks a year at most?). I suspect that "proper" heating systems would be in reasonably short supply in Hawaii as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.