FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Most dangerous/exciting/difficult US airports? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/809775-most-dangerous-exciting-difficult-us-airports.html)

Professor Yaffle Apr 8, 2008 6:02 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 9535082)
And twice the runways, too...

:confused::confused::confused: Does SAN have 0.5 runways? :D

pedxing Apr 8, 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 9535845)
That reminds me of SGU, also on a nice plateu:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...55103&t=p&z=14

Wow! This one wins the price for me!

enviroian Apr 8, 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by pedxing (Post 9533443)
Check out this Google terrain map and you can see the dropoff

Looks just like CLD.

pedxing Apr 8, 2008 9:17 am

Sedona (Arizona) Airport (SEZ) is another butte-top airport - see this topo map. What a beautiful city, too!

1worldtrader Apr 9, 2008 3:47 pm

The other "fun" thing about SNA -in addition to the steep climb, they cut back the engines during the ascent in order to lower the noise as they fly over the expensive homes of Newport Beach. Gives the slight feeling of a free fall. No big deal if you are used to it or expecting it, but very often you hear gasps of air from a fellow passenger somewhere on the plane and you know it is their first time flying out of John Wayne.

Nowadays, they sometimes make a pre-takeoff announcement...

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 9527834)
Not counting the smallest airports, there is for example INN in Austria which is difficult for pilots and require special training. Which airports would be similar in the US?

I know there is LGA for example with short runways, as with SNA (which also features a steep climb) and BUR. SAN has a parking garage that will have some travellers on their toes when flying there. I've heard someone mention BHM though I don't know why that one should be added to the list.

What other airports are there?

1worldtrader Apr 9, 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 9533619)
Actually, SNA doesn't feature a steep climb except in the very unusual situation (less than 1 percent of the time) that the wind is from the east. The wind almost always follows the prevailing pattern of coming in off the Pacific. Arriving aircraft have a steep descent - in Balboa Park it can look as though their wheels are right over your head - but departures are into the wind and therefore nearly all over the water.

(Today's bit of trivia: SAN is the busiest single-runway airport in the world.)

You are confusing SNA with SAN. SNA - steep ascent and engine cutback over Newport Beach. SAN, steep descent.

BNA_flyer Apr 9, 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 9536275)
St. Maarten. (And yes, the pix are legit.)

That's got the In-N-Out on Sepulveda beat...:eek:

Cloudship Apr 9, 2008 7:32 pm

ORh (Worcester, MA) was a bit of an odd one - not so much take offs, but landings - planes usually landed west or north-west. What makes it odd is that most of the surrounding areaa is a little under 600ft elevation, while the airport itself sits at 1000 ft on a hill.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=14&iwloc=addr

purpleskiesfly Apr 9, 2008 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Taker Park (Post 9529021)
I heard from a friend that Colorado Springs was usually a white knuckle adventure.

It can be on a windy day due to proximity to the mountains.

SJCFlyerLG Apr 10, 2008 12:41 pm

I can vouch for that - I have been on that beach!

Another notoriously short runway is at EUG - although I think they now have all RJ's, so less effect.

Another piece of trivia about short runways: when AA first started the SJC-NRT route with MD-11's the runway was not long enough for a fully loaded and fueled bird to take off. On those days, the plane was lightly fueled and then flown to OAK for full fueling. But somehow, I never got 500 miles for the extra segment.:p

Palal Apr 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 9533619)
(Today's bit of trivia: SAN is the busiest single-runway airport in the world.)

Hmmm... according to Wikipedia, that would be LGW although it does have 2 runways (only one of which is used).

ludocdoc Apr 10, 2008 7:52 pm

And do they close the road for each landing or something? Seems like you might not want to be under there. Noise and jetwash must be incredible. Nevermid you could toss a tennis ball into the engine or something.

dragonchef Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler (Post 9534139)
A while back I got a part of the story on the incident pictured in the above link from my friends at Boeing.

Before I go further, I'll point out the good news: the Air China flight from CKS had nearly 400 souls on board... they all survived because, in part, the ground speed was very low at incursion, and Kowloon Bay (near Hung Hom) is clearly very shallow. From the airport authority's operational standpoint, the bad news was that Kowloon Bay is very shallow!

The 747 sat right off the departure end of the runway, with the tail of the 747 sticking up high enough to prevent safe operations at Kai Tak. Given that the aircraft was rather quickly judged to be a writeoff, the decision was made to hastily remove the tail with whatever means available. Easier said than done. Portable power tools (I was told chainsaws were included in the mix) were first used in an abortive attempt to remove the obstruction. Boeing was ironically quite proud that to get the job done, ultimately HE had to be used to blast the tail off the fuselage!

There was a level 8 typhoon happening at the time of this incident. JW Marriott assured us (me traveling with wife AND mother) to proceed to the airport, that things were running normally (despite the letters that were slipped under the door, advising us to keep the curtians closed and stay away from the windows). The airport had the classic "card flip" boards, and we knew we had another night in HK when the cards all flipped at the same time to delayed. Rushed to the nearest phone (downstairs) in time to see the news media flowing in...and passengers wrapped in blankets walking in from the tarmac. Many had walked on the wing of the plane, and on to the jetty. No doubt these were lucky folks. Not so the thousands that were stranded in the airport, and slept on the floor using cardboard as a mattress, and newspaper as a blanket. We lucked out with the last room at the Kowloon Hyatt courtesey of a friend.

ladiflier Apr 11, 2008 10:45 am

GUC (Gunison, CO). Take off is right towards a mountain so you veer off pretty quickly as you ascend.

essxjay Apr 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 9550812)
Another notoriously short runway is at EUG - although I think they now have all RJ's, so less effect.

UA runs 735s EUG-SFO -- at least that's what my itinerary for next Thursday says!