Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AAA membership worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA E+, HH Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Budget Fastbreak
Arrow Is AAA worth joining for the average traveler?

Today AAA is supposed to release their summer travel forecast, and I was wondering what are the specific AAA benefits for the average traveler, and if it would be worth joining. I know that using the term "average traveler" can have various meanings, I guess I mean not a light traveler but not a heavy traveler, somehwere in the middle.

I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to AAA benefits, if anyone has a good thread on the subject please share.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2006, 7:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While this thread was started in the Hilton forum, there are a number of posts detailing general costs/benefits of a AAA membership:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461563
Old May 18, 2006, 8:00 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:51 am
Old May 18, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Like many New Yorkers, I don't own a car. I joined AAA some years ago when I was booking a 2-nite stay at a hotel in Napa and noticed the AAA discount on one night was about the cost of an annual membership. Since then, I've been very happy with the membership benefits--good Hertz and Hyatt discounts, in particular. I suggest you go to their website, look at the benefits and decide if they make sense for you.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:06 am

I've been a member of AAA+ for quite some time now. Came in handy last winter when I had car trouble while in NYC - had to get a 95 mile tow and it cost me $0. Also, the amount I save from airport parking more than pays for the membership cost.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I agree -- the roadside assistance benefit alone make AAA worth it for me. The TourBooks aren't bad, but I consider the free maps, especially of major metropolitan areas (and some cities you wouldn't expect), a better benefit. The maps are updated regularly and better than any "freebies" you can get from visitors' bureaus. The discounts are handy, too.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Travelling or not, if you drive a car, AAA is worth it. I'm AAA Plus member which gives me something like 100 miles of free towing. You never know when you need it. I can't speak highly enough about AAA.

If you're a passenger in a vehicle whose owner doesn't have AAA, your membership gives you free towing in whatever car you happen to be in.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:55 am

I also like AAA and have been a member since I can remember.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by Analise
Travelling or not, if you drive a car, AAA is worth it. I'm AAA Plus member which gives me something like 100 miles of free towing. You never know when you need it. I can't speak highly enough about AAA.
AAA Plus towing benefit is 100 miles.

When I lived out west, I had to get a tow for my car from Laughlin, NV to Las Vegas to the dealer. The distance was actually just over 100 miles. The cost - $0.00 - not a bad benefit! ^ Just that alone pays for the annual fee, plus much more!

A few years before, when I did not have AAA plus, just the regular AAA membership, I was driving to Phoenix - where I had to be in Phoenix the next morning for training for my job. Thus, I had no choice but to get a tow to Phoenix. The normal AAA towing benefit is 3 miles. The tow to Phoenix cost me over $125.00 - I got the AAA Plus the next day! (If I had AAA Plus, the tow would have cost $0!)

I agree the maps, tourbooks and hotel/car discounts are great also. But IMHO, if you drive, the best benefit is the towing and/or assistance! ^
Old May 18, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The number of maps/travel guides I get from them over the course of a year more than pays for the membership... this is not counting all the other benefits.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Before you sign up just for the towing benefits, you should check your auto owners policy. I have American Family and towing is completely reimbursed. Yes, you have to pay for it first then send a copy of the bill, but they pay the entire thing within days. I recently had to be towed about 200 miles and there were no questions asked. It's also nice because sometimes (esp. winter in the North), the AAA towing services are really busy, and with the insurance reimbursement I was able to choose one that could help me faster.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
AAA is amazing. For the small yearly fee you get discounts on hotels, all the maps you want, and help with any car trouble, including locking your keys in your car (my most used feature). The best part is definately the car help. If you or a fried you are with locks their keys in the car, gets a flat, gets in a wrek, etc. they will help you out. Just think of the towing costs if you get in a wrek, very expensive. But with AAA its all taken care of in that yearly fee. They will also act as a travel agent I think but I have never used that service.

It is definately worth it.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I know of several non-drivers who own AAA memberships strictly for the discounts bestowed. Just about anything travel-related probably has a AAA discount, not to mention the variety of services they offer (travelers cheques, banking, and so forth).
Old May 18, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Also remember - the AAA auto benefits are on the member, and not on the car!

If you are traveling with your parents or friend, but they are not AAA members, but you are in the car, AAA will provide assistance, since a member is in the car! ^
Old May 18, 2006, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

AAA membership is overpriced, and the services offered are pathetic compared what some European auto clubs do for the same money. Check out what ADAC, the German auto club, offers for 78 Euros per year:

Medical benefits

Car-related benefits

I realize this offer isn't valid in the US, and the comparison is unfair for a variety of reasons, but it illustrates clearly that AAA is not good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.