Wiki Posts
Search

When the US immigration officer says " Welcome home!"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:49 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

When the US immigration officer says " Welcome home!"

Does anyone else get a little rush when the US immigration officer says "Welcome Home" to you as you pass through immigration after an international flight.

It sounds corny but their is something about it that makes me feel not only welcomed but dare I say it..... proud to be a US citizen. (and I am not overly patriotic)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I probably would if it were ever said to me. I can't remember it ever being said.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by david4455
Does anyone else get a little rush when the US immigration officer says "Welcome Home" to you as you pass through immigration after an international flight.

It sounds corny but their is something about it that makes me feel not only welcomed but dare I say it..... proud to be a US citizen. (and I am not overly patriotic)
Funny you shuold mention that - I'd had the same warm fuzzy feelings when an immigration officer tell me that (and I've heard it a few times returning to the US).

Certainly makes me feel welcomed back to my country!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:27 am

I kind of know what you mean - and I'm not even slightly patriotic. Now that I think about it the only times I've heard this have been at EWR where I've generally found the Immigration officers friendlier than most.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I don't have a problem with it, but it doesn't do much for me because my port of entry into the U.S. is seldom near my home. If I'm coming back from Asia or Latin America, it's somewhere in the south or on the west coast; and when I come back from Europe, I fly by way of Chicago or somewhere for the miles if time permits - so I don't think of that as being "home" in a meaningful sense, even though I am re-entering my home country.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
While I have not received the greeting consistantly, I too get the same feeling.

Funny enough the first time (that I can remember) it being said to me was just after a visit to a war zone and those two small words carried a lot of emotion. No matter what your beliefs, it helps put things into perspective -- on that occassion I remember replying it is good to be home -- and it was.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:56 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Yes, these are great words to hear. They trigger thoughts of freedom.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:01 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Its not very often that I hear these words, but its certainly nice to
hear them.

I only recall being greeted by "Welcome home" in the NY area airports.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I would find it odd, the US not being my home...

But, were a Heathrow immigration officer to say this, I would think, nice thought, but I live quite a long way from the airport.

(And just because I have a passport for this place doesn't mean it's home...)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:21 am

I remember the first time I returned home from a 3 week trip to Japan many years ago. I was transiting JFK when the immigration official said this to me, and I was also greeted by the banner "Welcome to the United States of America" as well. I really was surprised at great that made me feel. First stirrings of real patriotism I ever had in my life.

Then I sat in the terminal having coffee (no lounge access for me at the time!) and just enjoying the diversity of the people and experiences. (having come from somewhere where there was a lot of homogeneity). It was in those moments where I felt truly thankful to be an American, and it's been that way ever since.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've received a "welcome home" from Canadian customs officers maybe a dozen times, and each time I find it nice to hear, particularly after a long trip away.

I think it feels good to hear because at the sociological level we're being accepted back into our tribe. We also subconsciously realize that we're back under a social system (including laws, customs and culture) that we are much more familiar with than wherever we've been to.

I travel to the U.S. a lot, and although Canada and the U.S. share a lot of similarities, it is the many subtle differences that affect me. It's comforting for me to be back "home" where my expectations are the norm and not in the minority.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

I've only had this happen to me a few times - Once at HNL, ORD, and once at JFK I had a cheerful agent who welcomed me back & reminded me to vote tomorrow (this was just prior to the 2004 Presidential Elections).

Once I got out of Customs at JFK & switched for CVG, we pushed back and then were put on a 2+ hr ground hold in the penalty box because Bush was doing a last minute run through Ohio and had Air Force One parked at CVG.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I think it is a very nice thing to say. I just found it a little wierd when I lived overseas and I was visiting the US.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I think it is a very nice thing to say. I just found it a little wierd when I lived overseas and I was visiting the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.